Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm new here and I'm just about to buy my first caddy, I really like the fleetwood models especially 4dr, and anything earlier than 1984 is my fav.
In any case my budget is limited so I want to get something I'm not gonna regret.
I found a 1981 Fleetwood B. with a v8-6-4 engine, the car looks great, really clean inside out, no rust, all in all looks like a great buy, starts right up, and idles like a dream, just a nice purrrrring noise from the tail pipe. :)
The only problem i have is that the car stalls when driving, actually as soon as I touch the gas peddal, in drive it will slowly roll along without a problem and will idle with out a glitch, but as soon as I press gass it starts to choke and stalls.

Do you think that it only requires minor tune up? or might it be something more serious? The guy said that it has been wired for 8cyl only. I really love the car and its a good price but since I have limited budget and want to use the car as daily driver I would like your opinioin as to wheather I'm getting myself into expensive repairs or no?

Thank You ... :)

I'm converting to cadillac from noisy little honda civic :) can't wait :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Could be the whole carburetor (as I have read on the forums that our models of caddys sometimes have carb/transmission problems after useage). Age deals this blow on all cars; but I believe this particular model is quite sturdy. Could even be that the fuel line is clogged (fuel filter), sounds like not enough fuel/too much is getting to the engine when you depress the gas.

As well could be a vacuum problem.

A few things to diagnose; replacing the parts is no problem and I don't think that it will be too expensive for you. In my opinion; investing in your model is a good plan, as they were built strong and last long. General maintenace is a given for a car of this age; but if you keep it tuned it will last you a long time.

No rust, clean car, engine purrs save for the acceleration problem I'd put my money on that car lasting me a long time than a newer car.

Welcome to the forums and may your drives be safe :)

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Don't just listen to me - someone with more technical knowledge will be here to help you shortly. But I don't think you're looking at very expensive repairs. The problem is, you can't really drive it until you get it moving. So you never know what else may be happening when the RPMs are up higher and you're on the road.

Chances are, everything is fine.. But let's hear from some others...

Welcome aboard.. And thank you for signing up!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spock said:
Could be the whole carburetor (as I have read on the forums that our models of caddys sometimes have carb/transmission problems after useage). Age deals this blow on all cars; but I believe this particular model is quite sturdy. Could even be that the fuel line is clogged (fuel filter), sounds like not enough fuel/too much is getting to the engine when you depress the gas.

As well could be a vacuum problem.

A few things to diagnose; replacing the parts is no problem and I don't think that it will be too expensive for you. In my opinion; investing in your model is a good plan, as they were built strong and last long. General maintenace is a given for a car of this age; but if you keep it tuned it will last you a long time.

No rust, clean car, engine purrs save for the acceleration problem I'd put my money on that car lasting me a long time than a newer car.

Welcome to the forums and may your drives be safe :)
one thing i forgot to mention is that when the car is in park and idling, i can rev up the engine no problem when i give it gas, the stalling only happends when in Drive and than pressing gas.. hope this gives u another clue :)

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I thought the 864s were fuel injected. But if it is carbureted it sounds like it just needs an adjustment or the carb needs to be rebuilt. In both cases if it has a vacuum leak somewhere that can do strange things too.

·
Registered
709 Posts
is it fuel injected? I thought it was a carb. If it is a carb it sounds like an accelerator pump. If its fuel injected you need to check fuel pressure.if its TBI it should be about 9-12 lbs. Does your service soon or check engine lights come on maybe there is a code we could check on?

·
Registered
754 Posts
One quick test that you can do is to disable the digital computer on the car and let run on the backup analog unit. This sounds complicated but all you have to do is disconnect the bright green connector near the distributor.

If the computer is bad, don't panic... the last time I checked, the computer for the 81 was $110.00

·
Registered
437 Posts
The second biggest was the new variable-displacement gasoline engine, developed by the Eaton Corporation a standard in all models except Seville. Depending on driving conditions, the innovative V8-6-4 engine ran on four, six, or eight cylinders, switching back and forth as needed. The object, of course, was to conserve fuel in the wake of rising gasoline prices. A microprocessor determined which cylinders weren't necessary at the moment. Then it signalled a solenoid-actuated blocker plate, which shifted to permit the rocker arm to pivot at a different point than usual. Therefore, selected intake and exhaust valves would remain closed rather than operate normally. Valve litters and pushrods traveled up-and-down in the normal manner, but unneeded valve pairs stood idle. When running on four, displacement grew back to eight as soon as you stepped on the gas to pass, demanding maximum power -- an assurance to those who might wonder if a four-cylinder Cadillac powerplant was good enough. The system had been tested (and "Proven") in over half a million miles of driving. Cadillac claimed that the "perceived sensation" during displacement changes was "slight." because no shifting was involved.

From http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1980/cad81.htm

I was not aware that the model came in fuel injection, assuming the year; but it comes with DFI, digital fuel injection. V8-368 DFI is your engine I believe. From the data above it seems there is much troubleshooting you must do. Perhaps another member can shed more light on this engine, as I am not familiar. Such a concept...witchcraft! 8-6-AND 4 cylinders running?! :p

D

·
0 Posts
Years ago I bought a 4-6-8 powered '80 Eldorado in non running condition (as most are) but otherwise mint. My bud worked at a service station as a mechanic and told me the owner wanted to sell it cheap cause he didn't want to tow it out of the shop and he didn't want to fix it so I got it for $100. I decided I didn't want to fix that crappy motor either so my bud told me about an old lady with a '77 or '78 Coupe Deville with like 35k miles that was rear ended, I got in touch with the old lady and gave her $400 for the Deville. I swapped out the 4-6-8 and put the 425 motor from the Deville into the Eldorado. Made for a real nice driver except for one deadly situation. One day on the expressway the oil filter hit against the Eldo's frame and burst seizing the engine by the time I noticed it. Damn shame, enough rambling though, I'd avoid the 4-6-8 like the plague.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does the "Check Engine" light come on while driving or stay on after startup?
You can do a diagnostic on the car - no special tools needed.

Here's how :
Turn the ignition on - do NOT start the engine,then wait 5 seconds.
Then,press the "Off" and "Warmer" buttons on the electronic climate control
panel at the same time. Release when you see two dots appear on the display.
You will then see the number 88,followed by all fault codes going from the lowest code to the highest.It will repeat the number 88 and the codes again.
Make a note of all codes,then turn the ignition off.

You'll probably see code 25 during that time.All that means is that the modulated displacement has been disabled,letting the engine run as a V8
all the time.

If you give the engine a complete tuneup,new air and fuel filtres and vacuum lines,that alone should cure that the hesitation.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Another thing you might want to check is the HEI module in the distributor.It can cause all kinds of mayhem when it goes bad.:hmm:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
tsmale