Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
We are trying to decide on a new 2007 SRX in V6 vs the V8.

What are your opinions on the cost/value?

The N* V8 is a wonderful engine. Powerful,smooth,effortless acceleration. For me these things eclipse the extra $ I spent for the engine and gas surcharge.

Questions to ponder:

1. How much will the reduced gas mileage cost you? (typical drive to work etc)
2. What value do you place on having extra HP and Torque.
3. Any additional auto insurance concerns.
4. Did you watch Live Earth and felt moved to do something? :)

Good luck, either choice will yield a sweet ride!!!

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,755 Posts
Drive both and follow your heart. Mine told me to get the V8 and I never regretted it.

·
Registered
SRX
166 Posts
We are very happy with the V6. Not a rocket, but more than respectable performance with very decent mileage.
When we purchased ours, the V6 was $5K less than a V8 equiped the same; I believethere is considerably less difference today. Drive both, in town, on country two lanes and in the city then make your decision.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
I drove both and felt the V8 was needed for acceptable AWD performance. For RWD, I thought the V6 was sufficient.

·
Registered
2005 SRX
109 Posts
Agreed.

The wife and I wanted AWD and realized the V8 was needed to make it feel sporty but then we realized that we were very unlikely to take the SRX out into weather when we *needed* AWD so we flipped and got a V6 RWD. We love it and it runs great.

If it snows we take the 4WD truck.

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drove both and felt the V8 was needed for acceptable AWD performance. For RWD, I thought the V6 was sufficient.
Why does the engine size make more of a difference if you get the AWD version version (which we would) versus the standard version?

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
Why does the engine size make more of a difference if you get the AWD version version (which we would) versus the standard version?
AWD adds about 200 lbs. to the vehicle. Plus, I imagine it adds drag to the driveline.

·
Registered
04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon
1,803 Posts
If you don't test drive a V8, you'll be fine with the V6. If you test drive a V8, you'll own a V8.

·
Registered
2005 SRX N*V8 RWD; 1999 DeVille Concours
514 Posts
I suggest the N*V8. If getting a lower price is your objective, note that the V8 has many additional features "standard" (ie, adj pedals, rear air, ultraview, Bose sound, chrome roof rack, wheels, tire size, etc, etc) that are optional extra cost on V6; and also note that these addl features have varied from model year to model year so check your "goodie list" carefully.
Good luck, you will enjoy either model!!

·
Registered
08 Cadillac SRX, 06 CTS-V
43 Posts
here is my take..

they are both good motors.

who is tha car for...you or your wife?..if its your wife, does she "need" the V8?

also...whats the price difference....7-10K depending on other options & dealer.
is the v8 worth that to you.

the V8 is really nice...but the V6 is no slouch....still one of the quicker rides when compared to others in its class.

I got my wife a '06 AWD V6 with utility package (3rd row, rear a/c, tranny cooler, tow package, etc...) only thing we didn't that we would have liked was ultraview, but we can live without it.

i went with the V6 over the V8 due to it being for my wife & she doesn't really need it...so the extra cost wasn't worth it.
Plus the extra cost for premium gas & lower gas milage had an impact too.

& for all the people who are gonna blah blah blah about not needing premium...they are kidding themselves.
like if said before..sure it has knock snesors to "help" protect against early detination, but it WILL retard the performance/gas milage & have long term effects on the motor.

and IMO...if your big dog enough to throw down 45-50k on a caddy....why would you be too cheap to pay the extra $0.20-$0.30 per gallon for gas...thats just retarded.

·
Registered
'04 SRX V8 AWD
75 Posts
Skipping premium when it is required is just stupid. In most cases, your MPG improvement will cover the extra cost and then some. Not to mention the extra power and extension to the life of your expensive motor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Skipping premium when it is required is just stupid. In most cases, your MPG improvement will cover the extra cost and then some. Not to mention the extra power and extension to the life of your expensive motor.

exactly...but the argument that some people here will give you is that the SRX V8 doesn't "require" premium, it "recommends" premium.

but to me thats pretty much the same thing...the only difference to me is that when its just recommended, in an emergency you can put lesser grade fuel in & not worry to much ....but when its required there are stipulations as to how to do it....only a certian amount for so many miles till you get premium...i for get the exact details but it was written in my old SVT manual, & my moms v6 altima manual

·
Registered
'04 SRX V8 AWD
75 Posts
My old 2003 4Runner V6 required 89, recomended 91. We spent some time tracking and comparing the two, and found that 91 octane yielded an approximate 4 MPG improvement on the highway. Not to mention, it was much more responsive. Enough so that my wife even noticed, and she's oblivious to anything automotive. That 4 MPG improvement more than covered the extra gas cost.

I remember a car show, where they compared a 996-generation 911 Carrera with 87 and 91 octane. The Porsche of course was designed for 91, they were testing to see what difference it made. Dyno tests were done with similar conditions, with a week (I think) in between to let the ECU re-adjust for the different octane. I think they also reset the ECU. Anyway, 91 gave it over 20 HP more than 87. Sure, it was on a 340 HP Porsche, but it is good food for thought.

·
Registered
43 Posts
oh & back to the buyer....also keep maintanence costs in mind

for instance...if your keeping it stock....the V8 has bigger tires that cost more.
not sure of the oil capacity but the v8 might take more oil therefore increasing oil changes, tune ups etc...

not that they are "big" issues but somethings you might not think about
the tire cost can bite you in the a$$ though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The price difference V6 vs. V8 is not that significant if the buyer also wants the Luxury package (or better). It's only when a buyer looks at the V6 base vs. V8 Luxury is the price difference that significant.

Enterprise Rental has V6 SRXs. I rented one before going with the V8. The V6 breaks a sweat (but does not complain) passing at highway speeds. The V8 does not break a sweat.

Weight is an issue. Although the V8 weighs more than the V6, as a prior post mentioned there are options that increase the weight of the vehicle such that a V8 is more suited, e.g., AWD and Ultraview. How many passengers? Any light towing?

Resale value is a true unknown (if the vehicle is purchased).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts