Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 CTS 3.6 V6 has a computer-controlled program that automatically de-energizes cylinders 3 and 4. This feature can't be good for the camshafts. Is there any way to disable this feature?

·
Registered
SRX,ATS,CTS(2), CT6
141 Posts
Drive like a maniac, it only deactivates under light load. You have 100k mile powertrain warranty, yes?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 XT5 / 18 CTS 3.6 AWD
635 Posts
Don't stress about it. It's fine. Many modern cars do this and you can't tell the difference and it's not damaging anything. And no, you can't disable it.

·
Registered
2009 SRX V6 RWD, 2011 CTS Premium Coupe
236 Posts
Don't stress about it. It's fine. Many modern cars do this and you can't tell the difference and it's not damaging anything. And no, you can't disable it.
I'm not trying to argue, but I'm genuinely curious. I have an LS4 and there are at least three different ways to disable DoD on that engine, plus a misfire on one of the deactivating cylinders. What makes this different?

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
411 Posts
My 2019 CTS 3.6 V6 has a computer-controlled program that automatically de-energizes cylinders 3 and 4. This feature can't be good for the camshafts. Is there any way to disable this feature?
Just curious.
Why do you think it would be bad?
Do you think someone just said "turn off two cylinders to save gas" and that was it?
Do you believe none of the powertrain engineers would think to see if it works ok?
That they never ran engines millions of miles on dynos to check for unusual wear.
No one sent fleet of vehicles to GM's proving grounds in Michigan to have them drive hundreds of thousands of real world miles and then tear them down to look at the parts?
The company would just start selling them, knowing they have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, and hope they don't break and cost them millions of dollars in warranty claims?
They do all these things and more.
Really, they really do.
And while we're at it..
When they add Start Stop technology to a vehicle they check to make sure it doesn't wear out the starter.

·
Registered
2018 CTS Luxury 3.6 RWD
33 Posts
Just curious.
Why do you think it would be bad?
Do you think someone just said "turn off two cylinders to save gas" and that was it?
Do you believe none of the powertrain engineers would think to see if it works ok?
That they never ran engines millions of miles on dynos to check for unusual wear.
No one sent fleet of vehicles to GM's proving grounds in Michigan to have them drive hundreds of thousands of real world miles and then tear them down to look at the parts?
The company would just start selling them, knowing they have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, and hope they don't break and cost them millions of dollars in warranty claims?
They do all these things and more.
Really, they really do.
And while we're at it..
When they add Start Stop technology to a vehicle they check to make sure it doesn't wear out the starter.
On the start stop, apparently they tested exclusively in cool dry climates 🤣
Terrible idea in Texas summers as it takes all of 3 seconds to feel the sticky air coming in when it stops 🤦🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
411 Posts
On the start stop, apparently they tested exclusively in cool dry climates 🤣
Terrible idea in Texas summers as it takes all of 3 seconds to feel the sticky air coming in when it stops 🤦🏼‍♂️
According to the service manual autostart is disabled or engine is restarted if the HVAC system demand is high.

·
Registered
SRX,ATS,CTS(2), CT6
141 Posts
If I do that, my gas mileage will drop below 30 mpg.
Mine never got above 30, even with the old lady driving it.......kind of figured if I had to worry about fuel costs, a pseudo-luxury car with a depreciation curve like the trajectory of a lead-foil glider was probably not the right choice for me anyway.......

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just drove from MI to FL, over 1200 miles and averaged 37mpg. FWIW, I never exceeded the posted speed limit.

2018 CTS 3.6 RWD, 33K miles.

COG

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine never got above 30, even with the old lady driving it.......kind of figured if I had to worry about fuel costs, a pseudo-luxury car with a depreciation curve like the trajectory of a lead-foil glider was probably not the right choice for me anyway.......

It’s all in how you drive it. My last tank got me 33.4.

·
Registered
'09 CTS AWD previously, '18 CTS AWD
358 Posts
I just drove from MI to FL, over 1200 miles and averaged 37mpg. FWIW, I never exceeded the posted speed limit.

2018 CTS 3.6 RWD, 33K miles.

COG
I also get around 34 to 37. What tires do you have? I'm afraid that when I get rid of the run flats, my mpg will drop.

·
Registered
18 XT5 / 18 CTS 3.6 AWD
635 Posts
I'll get 12km/litre or 34miles/gallon avg. And that's with a heavy foot at times. Not the most economical driver TBH.
I was quite happy to do a 750km round trip last week with almost a quarter tank still left.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got rid of the run flats as soon as I got the car, this isn't my first CTS. I went with the Michelins, no spare but I have an inflator and a patch kit just in case.

COG

·
Registered
2018 PremLux CTS LGX RWD
49 Posts
As I've stated in another post:

What I don’t like about cylinder de-activation in GM vehicles is GM’s implementation of this. I’m not an automotive engineer, but my thinking is that it should never drop 2 cylinders in a 3,865 pound vehicle in the city. I can see this concept work when you are cruising at say 40mph to 70mph for several minutes or more, but I don’t like the off-on-off-...… scenario driving around town.

Some ‘experts’ say that the uneven cylinder head temperatures (active cylinders run much hotter then deactivated one) will cause head gasket issues down the road (makes sense to me). Other experts talk about uneven oil temperatures between active and inactive cylinders will cause bubbling and frothing of the engine oil,and lead to problems down the road, including excessive oil consumption and plug fouling.

There have been some torque converter issues that the Chevy LT1 motors are having as a result of cylinder de-activation. The torque converters have pendulums built in to help dampen the jerkiness when cylinder go off or on line. The 8L45 trannies in the CTS have these same kinds of pendulums. (Not to be confused with the 8L45 tranny problems prior to the lastest TSB re the correct fluid to repair the original dreaded tranny problems.)

IMHO some of the above issues will cause you grief in the 80,000+ MILE Range.

And again, IMHO, for my 2,500 - 5,000 miles a year on my Caddy, I doubt I would see any significant savings. Perhaps enough for a burger and fries. If I was a traveling salesman cruising on the highways all day, maybe.

I've installed a Range Technology RA003B and the problem is forgotten. I also disable Auto Start/Stop every time I fire up.

Please note that all of the above is IMHO.
M...

·
Registered
14 Posts

My average mpg, according to the dash display, is 27.5. My highest average on a tank of gas shows 33.4 mpg. I’m an old man, and I drove like one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As I've stated in another post:

What I don’t like about cylinder de-activation in GM vehicles is GM’s implementation of this. I’m not an automotive engineer, but my thinking is that it should never drop 2 cylinders in a 3,865 pound vehicle in the city. I can see this concept work when you are cruising at say 40mph to 70mph for several minutes or more, but I don’t like the off-on-off-...… scenario driving around town.

Some ‘experts’ say that the uneven cylinder head temperatures (active cylinders run much hotter then deactivated one) will cause head gasket issues down the road (makes sense to me). Other experts talk about uneven oil temperatures between active and inactive cylinders will cause bubbling and frothing of the engine oil,and lead to problems down the road, including excessive oil consumption and plug fouling.

There have been some torque converter issues that the Chevy LT1 motors are having as a result of cylinder de-activation. The torque converters have pendulums built in to help dampen the jerkiness when cylinder go off or on line. The 8L45 trannies in the CTS have these same kinds of pendulums. (Not to be confused with the 8L45 tranny problems prior to the lastest TSB re the correct fluid to repair the original dreaded tranny problems.)

IMHO some of the above issues will cause you grief in the 80,000+ MILE Range.

And again, IMHO, for my 2,500 - 5,000 miles a year on my Caddy, I doubt I would see any significant savings. Perhaps enough for a burger and fries. If I was a traveling salesman cruising on the highways all day, maybe.

I've installed a Range Technology RA003B and the problem is forgotten. I also disable Auto Start/Stop every time I fire up.

Please note that all of the above is IMHO.
M...
Thanks for the input. I did a search for the Range Technology RA003B and found that it is only available for the 6.2L V8. It does what I want, but not available for the 3.6L.

·
Registered
2018 PremLux CTS LGX RWD
49 Posts
Thanks for the input. I did a search for the Range Technology RA003B and found that it is only available for the 6.2L V8. It does what I want, but not available for the 3.6L.
The Range Technology IS available for the 3.6 LGX motor on our CTS's.
Scroll down and enter your year and vehicle. It's there. Note the last character is the colour of the LEDs - Red, Green, or Blue.

I've already installed mine. No issues. There were some complaints about the units drawing power even if the engine is off. So if your Caddy, like mine, sleeps for many days at a time, this could be a problem.

Revision 9 is the latest rev for the RA003B, and that issue has supposedly been addressed. However the box does say it may be a problem on some vehicles. I'm currently doing a battery voltage check - every 24 hours. After 3 days, I have not seen any unusual voltage drop. I'll keep monitoring and post the results.

Make sure you buy the unit direct. That way you will get the latest rev 9. (They don't consider Amazon a proper reseller.)

When I start the car, I push the Auto Start/Stop button and no more engine shut down to worry about as well.

It's all good, and my Caddy makes it better,
M...

·
Registered
2018 CTS Luxury 3.6 RWD
33 Posts
According to the service manual autostart is disabled or engine is restarted if the HVAC system demand is high.
View attachment 588173
"HVAC Demand" ... Well I demand it be "on" when I turn it on. Problem is that upon the engine stop it seems to immediately go to outside air instead of continuing with recirculated air. That is the only way I should be able to feel the increase in humidity within a few seconds. Maybe mine is defective in doing this? Anyone else have similar experiences.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Range Technology IS available for the 3.6 LGX motor on our CTS's.
Scroll down and enter your year and vehicle. It's there. Note the last character is the colour of the LEDs - Red, Green, or Blue.

I've already installed mine. No issues. There were some complaints about the units drawing power even if the engine is off. So if your Caddy, like mine, sleeps for many days at a time, this could be a problem.

Revision 9 is the latest rev for the RA003B, and that issue has supposedly been addressed. However the box does say it may be a problem on some vehicles. I'm currently doing a battery voltage check - every 24 hours. After 3 days, I have not seen any unusual voltage drop. I'll keep monitoring and post the results.

Make sure you buy the unit direct. That way you will get the latest rev 9. (They don't consider Amazon a proper reseller.)

When I start the car, I push the Auto Start/Stop button and no more engine shut down to worry about as well.

It's all good, and my Caddy makes it better,
M...
Thanks, Mike.
I rechecked their website, and you are correct, the RA003B will work on my 3.6. Pricey, but if it saves me thousands by not having to repair valve train problems in the future, I think it’s worth it. Shifting the valve components to keep the exhaust valves from opening must cause wear...just to save $20 worth of gas in the cars lifetime. I too, immediately shut off the start/stop feature as soon as I start the engine.
Daryl

1 - 20 of 44 Posts