Cadillac Owners Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Premium Member
2023 CT5-V RWD / 2020 XT6 Sport / 2024 Lyriq AWD (reserved)
5,497 Posts
Wife bought a RX350 F-Sport and got rid of it after 2 months and switched to the XT6. I feel the same way about Lexus. They just don't do it for me. I'm currently in the market for a new sedan and I keep coming back to the CT5 but my only gripe is the huge loss of trunk space I'm facing.
In fairness, the RX is well done. I've driven a few and they're pretty darned good. I am pretty biased against FWD-biased vehicles and CVTs but I do feel that the RX is well-executed for what it is. That being said, I also feel like the XT4/5/6 are surprisingly good for FWD-biased crossovers and I love the design of the XT6. Love.

· Registered
16 Posts
Wife bought a RX350 F-Sport and got rid of it after 2 months and switched to the XT6. I feel the same way about Lexus. They just don't do it for me. I'm currently in the market for a new sedan and I keep coming back to the CT5 but my only gripe is the huge loss of trunk space I'm facing.
The loss of trunk space was a deal breaker for me. We replaced a 2017 CT6 with a 2021 CT5 PL and only kept the CT5 for 10 months. Drove me nuts to go to Costco and have to fill up the back seat with my purchases because the paper towels were about all that fit in the trunk. Wound up selling it and buying a used 2019 CT6 and we are SO much happier!

· Registered
16 Posts
I'm looking to buy a 2020-2022 CT5. V6s are very hard to come by so I'm considering a V4. I currently drive a CTS V6 and it's just right for me. Having a big, powerful engine is not important to me at all, but is there a big difference between the two that I might end up disappointed with a V4. BTW, I'm almost exclusively a city driver. TIA for your thoughts.
Like another person commented, I would drive both. The 2.0L I4 would never do it for me, but if you're only driving in the city it might work. I make a 320 mile round trip at least once a month and the 3.0TT V6 was the best choice for me.

· Registered
2018 ATS-V
8 Posts
I'm looking to buy a 2020-2022 CT5. V6s are very hard to come by so I'm considering a V4. I currently drive a CTS V6 and it's just right for me. Having a big, powerful engine is not important to me at all, but is there a big difference between the two that I might end up disappointed with a V4. BTW, I'm almost exclusively a city driver. TIA for your thoughts.
Just picked up 2018 ats v imsa edtion 6 sp enjoy the stop to stop light jumps give them a car or 2 you willjump by them on launch

· Premium Member
2012 CTS AWD Performance Coupe
81 Posts
Why would you buy a luxury car and not use premium. For that matter any car with boost (turbo, supercharger) sure the computer can adjust timing so it runs but if you spent a premium on a car but can't afford the gas then you can't afford the car.
Also when timing is adjusted for poor gas/wrong octane you are giving up horsepower again pennywise dollar stupid
Well probably because of it doesn’t require it I’m not going to spend the money needlessly. I would think the engineers have a bit more knowledge than us when it comes to octane requirements. By the way fuel prices a year ago are slightly different vs. present day. Many could afford super at $2.50 a gallon. Now at $5 plus, not so much.

· Registered
2018 CT6 Premium Luxury AWD V6 in Bronze Dune Metallic
18 Posts
Why would you buy a luxury car and not use premium. For that matter any car with boost (turbo, supercharger) sure the computer can adjust timing so it runs but if you spent a premium on a car but can't afford the gas then you can't afford the car.
Also when timing is adjusted for poor gas/wrong octane you are giving up horsepower again pennywise dollar stupid
Maybe because you bought a 2018 Luxury Premium CT6 with AWD and the 3.6 V6 engine like I did. The recommended fuel in the Owner's Man is 87 octane because this particular engine set up has no turbo and has been designed with the best of both worlds in mind, that being performance 335 hp and 295 torque getting you to 60 mph in under 6 secs which is plenty quick IMO and fuel economy. I'm averaging 24-25 mpg combined.

I looked at all the options and specs on the new CT4's, CT5's and for my money the CT6 beats em all hands down in performance, luxury, fit n finish especially the interior design and roominess, and other avail options. That's why this guy bought a luxury car and doesn't use premium.

· Registered
2009 DTS
21 Posts
So this is what 2022 has come down to?? A V6 being a big powerful engine aaaaghhhh sometimes I wish I was born in 1940 so i could experience real American cars on a daily basis

· Registered
CTS4 3.6 DI
1 Posts
I live in southern Michigan and have a place in northern Michigan also. I have a snowmoblie with a 4 cylinder double over cam that guzzles premium gasoline. I've been towed to the dealer for fuel issues up there. The problem here, is most people close-up there summer homes in mid-September. By time December/January comes around the premium fuel is old and stale. I'm sure many area's around the country have issues keeping quality premium gasoline available in their "off-season" for the premium cars, sleds, etc... There are reasons for avoiding cars requiring premium gasoline.

· Registered
2020 CT6 Premium Luxury; 2009 DTS Premium Luxury; 2009 STS V6 AWD & 2002/2000 Eldorado ETC (traded)
758 Posts
Thats another issue i don't like about modern Cadillacs. No more Cadillac only engine and parts. A Chevy with a Cadillac badge now
That's nothing new. I had a 1979 Eldorado which had an Oldsmobile 350 V8. GM has done parts sharing for years with other divisions.

· Premium Member
2023 CT5-V RWD / 2020 XT6 Sport / 2024 Lyriq AWD (reserved)
5,497 Posts
That's nothing new. I had a 1979 Eldorado which had an Oldsmobile 350 V8. GM has done parts sharing for years with other divisions.
True. For a while, only Cadillacs got the Northstar plants - not that this was a good thing. At the moment, only the CT5 has the 3.0TT powerplant - making it (perhaps) a true Cadillac engine.

· Registered
76 Posts
Just get a V8 is what they were made for.

· Registered
2022 CT5
36 Posts
Maybe because you bought a 2018 Luxury Premium CT6 with AWD and the 3.6 V6 engine like I did. The recommended fuel in the Owner's Man is 87 octane because this particular engine set up has no turbo and has been designed with the best of both worlds in mind, that being performance 335 hp and 295 torque getting you to 60 mph in under 6 secs which is plenty quick IMO and fuel economy. I'm averaging 24-25 mpg combined.

I looked at all the options and specs on the new CT4's, CT5's and for my money the CT6 beats em all hands down in performance, luxury, fit n finish especially the interior design and roominess, and other avail options. That's why this guy bought a luxury car and doesn't use premium.
I guess I should have stipulated in a car that recommends. Since I'm new to cadillac I don't have muck knowledge on other motors. But this is the CT5 forum so being that all motors in this car are turbo charged this is relevant.
That being said I'm also a fan of checking how my cars that don't require premium run on premium. I can tell you things I've owned with low compression ratios (like my beater corolla) noticed no difference but my gas guzzling 16 f150 v8 na does feel noticeable more power even though 87 is suggested (tested pulling a enclosed trailer near max weight).

As far as ct5 and ct6 when I went to the dealer for my car the ct6 was already discontinued and not of any intrest to me its too long for my taste. It wasn't on the radar, for that money I would've been looking at a E450 or equivalent again the size f the ct5.

· Registered
2022 CT5 Premium Luxury Diamond White 3.0TT
13 Posts
A few things. Its an I-4, not V. The 2022 RWD 4 when I test drove was pretty uninspiring. I got a RWD 3.0 and find it to be a wonderful mix of power and economy if you want it to be! Also, the owners manual (2022) clearly says that 92 octane is RECOMMENDED in the I-4. The V6 92 octane is REQUIRED. That's the difference - so if you elect to go with the 4 then you can run 87 with no issues to worry about other than reduced performance. Do this in the V6? Over constant use (87) you could cause mechanical issues.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts