Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new to this board and I'm considering the purchase of a V1 (preferably a 2006 or 2007). I missed out on being able to purchase one when they were new, but now I could pick up a used version. My question has to do with the chassis of these cars. I know that most, if not all of the other parts on the car can be replaced at some point in the car's hopefully long life, but I don't know much about the longevity of the chassis.

I'm not looking to do any racing with it, but I do want to have a solid car without interior squeaks and rattles and I'm interested to hear other owners' take on how well the V1 will age with 150, 200, or even 300 thousand miles on it.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
991 Posts
Depends more on how and where you're driving it.

5k miles on 8 mile in Detroit would be equal to 100k miles on the new section of interstate they just opened here.

That bring said, I'm at 230+ and mine is ok but not as good as the 20 year old mr2 it replaced that had 300 on it.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Stealth Gray stock (unmodded and happy this way)
511 Posts
I have an 05 too and I feel it's a sturdy car. Some interior squeaks which I believe I've located and will fix later. As far as the chassis I don't notice any problems. Feels solid on the road. I've had cars with ABS before but not traction control and Stabili-Trac. With that added in I feel it's a very stable road sturdy solid car.

·
Registered
'05 V
84 Posts
If you don't like squeaks and rattles, don't buy a GM car.

If you want a fun, solid V8 family car at a reasonable price, buy a V.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've driven and ridden in plenty of GM vehicles that squeaked and rattled. I've also been in a lot that didn't. I wouldn't expect a V1 to be as quiet as a new Merc, but I also don't want a car that I'm spending 20k on to rattle like an old Ford. It's good to hear that other V1 owners are pushing higher mileage on theirs without significant chassis issues.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
103 Posts
2004 V here with 145k. Here's my perspecitve...

Is it a quiet as a Toyota? No. Is it possibly the quietest track capable car I've driven? Hell yes. It's miles quieter than my (stock) 03 Z06 was. Even with the windows up and no AC on, that car was loud. Yes, the V has rattles and such, but all of mine were taken care of with new shocks and struts, sway bar endlines and sway bar bushings. Made it handle and "sound" like new, and I live in Cincinnati where the roads are not much better than Detroit, especially downtown. As for the chassis, the sigma platform is very stiff, like real stiff. So while that translates to more road noise, it handle very very well and is worth it in my opinion. Fun fact about the stiffness, the other day I was driving through a field to park at a Spartan race, and crossed some uneven shallow ditches. The frame stayed rigid and at one point lifted my front right wheel about a foot off the ground.

Anyway, long story short you can make these feel very solid, just be prepared to go through the suspension because these cars are hard on it. Good luck!

JP

·
Registered
2004 Raven cts-v
44 Posts
I have a second owner vee.i looked for about 2 years and finally found one in '11.im a canadian and they even rarer here.mine appears to have one winter on it but is extremely clean underneath.i put it away for the winter and oils spray.when ever i have wheels off , get underneath i have a can of rustproofing with me or rust paint.its a little foreplay will go a long way to the big freaking smile she will put on your face. Chassis?i have a .91 g on my meter that i have no idea when i did it.do your research and you will be very happy....ohh and there is alot of great tips here!
110000km when i bought ,150000km now

·
Registered
2010 Thunder Gray 6MT
2,122 Posts
Mine has 143k, daily driven year round even through plenty of snow. Chassis had some rust setting in that I had fixed and undercoated. Aside from that the cabin isn't squeaky and feels great. Never been tracked or driven very hard.

·
Registered
2010 Thunder Gray 6MT
2,122 Posts

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,975 Posts
You better. I want deal.

----------

Will you drop ship?
Come to the Woodward Dream Cruise, Jim. Jason puts on a great event especially if Nutz, pisnuoff, and several other guys show us how to remove rubber from their tires.

Maybe he'll be willing to make a deal. I know he's been eyeing the ATS-Vs and the V3.

·
Registered
2010 Thunder Gray 6MT
2,122 Posts
Come to the Woodward Dream Cruise, Jim. Jason puts on a great event especially if Nutz, pisnuoff, and several other guys show us how to remove rubber from their tires.

Maybe he'll be willing to make a deal. I know he's been eyeing the ATS-Vs and the V3.
Yeah Jim, come to the Dream Cruise or better yet PM me an offer...I'm reasonable.

·
Registered
Cadillac
81 Posts
Mine has 143k, daily driven year round even through plenty of snow. Chassis had some rust setting in that I had fixed and undercoated. Aside from that the cabin isn't squeaky and feels great. Never been tracked or driven very hard.
Mine is an '04 and has 141k miles, dd, tracked, driven hard (but no drag racing) and I have the original rear diff. No rust (we have modest amount of snow in the winters and salt). No major squeaks or rattles. Still a great drive.

Robert

·
Registered
2007 Thunder Gray CTS-V
42 Posts
I just bought a 2007 V and went through the car to make it a reliable DD. 95k miles. Mine was a Florida car, so the heat and sand took their toll on the rubber bushings. If I were to describe the : chassis of the car, it is a unibody (sort of) in this way: There is an integral frame section that appears to be welded to the floor pan of the body. The drivetrain and Powertrain are supported by separate cradles, and there is a third transmission support at the back of the tranny that bolts to the integral frame .

Now the renewal parts are all the rubber bushings at the cradles, the trans support, and motor mounts. Some of these OEM bushings and the motor mounts are complete crap. For example, when I bought the car, it had bad motor mounts, and I went to my dealer and he pulle the service history and I found that this was the third set of MM's installed, two under warranty and the last, 10k miles before I bought it. I put CS in.
I had to replace the rear lower control arms to get the rear alignment right. I searched this earth for a source of bushings for some suspension components. You cannot by the control arm bushings, have to buy the whole arm.

The front suspension is a McPherson design and the rear a coil spring with a two point lower control and a wishbone upper. Nothing exotic, but a pretty rugged design.

So other than those parts, I would not expect much to go wrong with the structural members that are not replaceable. The MM's are a genuine PITA to replace, Done on purpose by GM to prevent all but the most dedicated wrench turners from DIY. After all, Cadillac owners are SUPPOSED to be golfing with Arnold (Palmer, that is), not wrenching on their car. I would look hard at a northern car for rusting though, or a flood car from the flood states. They will soon be hitting a used car lot near you.

There are a few other weaknesses, the Tranny is one, and I had to rebuild mine. The clutch is crap too, I put in an LS7 and never looked back. The diff is crap, There are posts about it, but mine seems to be OK. The LS2 is an LS2, ;nuff said.

·
Registered
2007 Thunder Gray CTS-V
42 Posts
the LS7 included the flywheel, has to or the dimensions don't work.Also the LS7 slave is needed as well. The result was about perfiect pedal pressure and just a more responsive and positive feel, even though measured with an un-calibrated butt-o-meter.

·
Registered
none
194 Posts
I've only put about 10k on mine since buying it, and while it's a fun car to drive, it isn't without its issues. I've replaced the transmission with a new (rebuilt by RPM) unit, and my cruise doesn't work which I assume is a clutch switch issue. I've had the 'service steering system' message on my DIC for a while so no electronic assist.

It's a fun toy, but it isn't something I'd want to have as my only vehicle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts