Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this forum when I was looking for a solution to this problem. I hope someone here has an idea of what's happening. Sorry for being verbose about this...

I have a 2005 CTS-V with around 70k miles. It's still under certified warranty. I had a new battery put in earlier this year. A few weeks ago, I took my car on a long drive of about six hours. I stopped once for gas midway. Nothing unusual happened during the drive. When I arrived, the car sat for about 45 minutes before I tried to start it again. When I turned the key (clutch was in) it wouldn't start. No noise, nothing. Not even a "click." Everything else seemed to be working fine. Headlights were bright, radio worked, Onstar, dash lights, etc. I called Onstar and they didn't find anything wrong. I waited about two hours and still had the same problem. I called roadside assistance and they sent a tow truck. When the tow truck arrived an hour and a half later I tried it again and it started right up. The battery was very strong.

I had no problems until last week when I drove it on the highway for about 1.5 hours. Again, I stopped for about 45 minutes to an hour. The exact same thing happened. After waiting about three hours, no problem, started right up. (I tried starting every 30 minutes or so during that time with no luck.)

I brought it to the dealer for a warranty repair. Of course they found nothing wrong after driving it around town. (I told them I had no problem driving it around town either.) I told the service advisor that he could drive it home last night, around 90 miles each way, to see if he could reproduce the problem. He called this morning to say it was fine and come pick it up. I'm stumped as to what to do.

Can anyone help me?! :bonkers:

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
Starter relay or strarter motor or keyswitch or connection.

Intermittant problems are the worst.

If you had the time or ability I would hang a light on the starter motor and see if it is getting powered up from the key.

The one time the light goes on and the starter motor doesn't turn would tell ya a lot.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the ideas. You're saying check the starter circuit next time it happens, right? Any idea why it has only happened after a long drive? Or why it "resets" after a few hours?

Thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,360 Posts
My guess is starter solenoid, which may or may not be the same Heavy's starter relay, and is known for intermittent failures.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
My guess is starter solenoid, which may or may not be the same Heavy's starter relay, and is known for intermittent failures.

I had this same problem and it was the starter solenoid. I had to get towed 3 times in one day because it would come and go. Very frustrating. No click or anything, just like you said was happening to you Finally the dealer realized this and replaced it :helpless:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts