Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
04 CTS-V R.I.P.
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someguy has challenged me to race my V with his Lightning. By the looks of it his Lightning looks stock. So does the V have a shot? Also, would the V benefit more from a dead-stop or a roll on? I know that the lightning comes with 380hp supercharged. My V has BB Long tube headers with no cats, BB X-pipe Exhaust, Volant CAI, and a Stealth Power Tune.

·
0 Posts
Black Beast said:
Someguy has challenged me to race my V with his Lightning. By the looks of it his Lightning looks stock. So does the V have a shot? Also, would the V benefit more from a dead-stop or a roll on? I know that the lightning comes with 380hp supercharged. My V has BB Long tube headers with no cats, BB X-pipe Exhaust, Volant CAI, and a Stealth Power Tune.
Having owned a slightly modded L..... It's all in the launch for that truck. Also, easy modds on that truck will put in the mid 12's with ease and you will never know it was modded. Pulley, tune and CAI and someone that can drive, it's gonna be a good race, If he's dead stock and can drive, mid 13's @ low 100's.

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
Yeah that truck's heavy but it's got an awful lot of torque. Stock 0-60 in the low to mid 5's. Take a rolling start if you can get it, unless you're real confident in your launch technique. Or if the guy's amenable, try it both ways.

·
0 Posts
lawfive said:
Yeah that truck's heavy but it's got an awful lot of torque. Stock 0-60 in the low to mid 5's. Take a rolling start if you can get it, unless you're real confident in your launch technique. Or if the guy's amenable, try it both ways.
I would go both ways, that way you see the affect of big lowend TQ and also big topend power with less wind resistance. That thing is a brick at speed.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Can't add anything to this. They've covered it pretty well. If the Lightning is bone stock, you'll have a good race unless you're not a very good driver. In that case, you'll lose. If the Lightning is modded, make sure there's no money on it because they can be very fast.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V, completely stock
193 Posts
I whooped one pretty good in my SS, and I believe my V is faster than my SS was, so I think that you could do it. (stock vs stock) If he's modded enough, well then he should beat you...that's what he spent the money for, right? :hide:

I think the launch concerns would balance each other out (although I've never driven a Lightning)...your wheelhop vs his lack of traction...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I killed a 500 HP SRT-10 truck a few weeks back. He was stock with the exception of an exhaust. Went from 0 to 80 and backed off...I had 2 car lengths on him. If it's stock you will have no problem.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V Black/Black
157 Posts
I have one of those slightly moded Lightnings and it's all in the launch of the Lightning too. With a couple thousand dollars worth of mods (CAI, pulley, chip, shift kit, traction bars) in cool weather with slicks not drag radials it'll run 12.6 - 12.7 pass after pass. Lots of torque it will light'em up on anything but slicks. Z06 will whip it anytime any temp. So put a Maggie on the V to even it up:highfive:

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
I've got a stock 2002 F-150 that I've been resisting doing any mods on. I don't want a Lightning (mine's a nice comfy four-door cab with no step-side), but some more go would be good. Maybe start with the F-150 Magnacharger kit... CAI... nice exhaust... tune... gearing...

Whoops, daydreaming AND threadjacking...

·
Registered
301 Posts
I happen to have some experience with both as I am lucky enough to have both. I do believe the stock V will beat the stock Lightining. The Lightining will launch better (never had wheel hop with the truck) but the lighter V will make that up quickly. As noted above, be careful of mods on the truck, some friends are in the 11's and mid 12's and next month I am going to watch one run in the 10's! This is just with boost and no other good additives. That one lifts the front off the ground. Pretty good for 5400 pounds. Also, be careful of a rolling start at 65 mph, this is a "sweet" spot on the truck and I belive it would jump all over the V till you get to around 120.
I was asked just the other day to compare the two. The verdict, the V is like a bad boy always ready to have at it whereas the Lightining is like the big quiet guy that carries a big stick and will use it when he needs to.
Have fun....

·
Registered
173 Posts
When the drag race is over, invite him to try to stay with you inthe twisties. Thr V wasn't made for straight lines in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
GAGS-V said:
Also, be careful of a rolling start at 65 mph, this is a "sweet" spot on the truck and I belive it would jump all over the V till you get to around 120.
In 3rd @ 65, the V is a beast. I stayed within a half car length of an SL55 from 65ish - 130ish (yes he was definately trying).

Lighnings must be monsterous at that speed then, if you really think it's stronger there.

-Chris

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have raced many lightnings and they cannot keep up unless modded.
I'm not good at launching the V and in a few races I was taken by half a car up to 40 then I caught up and passed them.
On highway there is no chance. The weight racio and aerodynamics will make it much slower than the V.

·
Registered
330 Posts
trukk said:
In 3rd @ 65, the V is a beast. I stayed within a half car length of an SL55 from 65ish - 130ish (yes he was definately trying).

Lighnings must be monsterous at that speed then, if you really think it's stronger there.

-Chris
Don't try that with the SL600 or of course not the SL65. They are monsters on the top end and will embarrass non-Z06 Corvettes

·
Registered
301 Posts

-Chris[/quote]

Remember, the Lightining is an auto. and the downshift and Supercharger blast at that speed is wonderfull. It will take you from 65 to 85 quicker than the V will get to 85. In that same power band the V is indeed a beast also yet it is not long until you will need to shift to 4th.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
I have something to add here (and most you know I have maggie, headers, cai, etc.).

I had a lightning kick my ass on the freeway a couple of weeks ago :lies:

Long, 270 degree right hand downhill on ramp (that almost always has an NHP at the go fast spot) with a L in front of me. As soon as the road straightened out, he punched it (we're on the freeway now). Got me a little by surprise - but since I was sans kids or a Starbucks (hate to admit it) I gave chase figuring I'd have no problem reeling him in. Guess what? From about 55 where we started (I was in 4th and dropped to 3rd) up to 95 (wherever I shifted back to 4th) I didn't gain much, but from there to about 1XX :shhh: I was all over his ass (lifting so I wouldn't run into him)...

My guess is this particular L was modded given the exhaust note and a few other visible items - but it was quick no less.

Be careful out there, this was all of course on a closed course section of freeway with an expert driver :D

·
0 Posts
wildwhl said:
I have something to add here (and most you know I have maggie, headers, cai, etc.).

I had a lightning kick my ass on the freeway a couple of weeks ago :lies:

Long, 270 degree right hand downhill on ramp (that almost always has an NHP at the go fast spot) with a L in front of me. As soon as the road straightened out, he punched it (we're on the freeway now). Got me a little by surprise - but since I was sans kids or a Starbucks (hate to admit it) I gave chase figuring I'd have no problem reeling him in. Guess what? From about 55 where we started (I was in 4th and dropped to 3rd) up to 95 (wherever I shifted back to 4th) I didn't gain much, but from there to about 1XX :shhh: I was all over his ass (lifting so I wouldn't run into him)...

My guess is this particular L was modded given the exhaust note and a few other visible items - but it was quick no less.

Be careful out there, this was all of course on a closed course section of freeway with an expert driver :D
What were the other visible items?

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
a64pilot said:
When the drag race is over, invite him to try to stay with you inthe twisties. Thr V wasn't made for straight lines in my opinion.
I'll tell you what. When I autocrossed the V for the first time in the fall of '04, one of the instructors had a Hoosiered Lightning and I will tell you, if the driver is very good, that thing can make it around the track. Albeit with street tires and with little experience with the V, that Lightning was spanking me on the course. Obviously, there are some variables there, but that thing isn't a Town Car. You know, when my current Town Car needs to be replaced, I'm gonna autocross it.

Anyway, modding a Lightning is like modding a Cobra, it responds very well to them.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts