Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
05 Eforce LS3 V
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, thank you in advance for you knowledge and time.

Recently I somehow broke both a rocker and spring on one of my cylinders:tisk:, my mechanic has taken it down and it seem that there is no further damage to piston or cylinder.

Im not sure how the breakage happened, as I dont hit the rev limiter, but for a few weeks it ticked and then it finally broke.:crybaby:

So I am thinking my choices are:

1) just do a fix on stock heads and replace broken parts without upgrading

2) Upgrade the head to ported/polished/titanium retainers (i have ligenfilter LS6 head available)

3) Use above heads and add a Cam?

I dont know enough about the ripple effect of doing #2 or #3. I have read enough on here to know that when you make one part breath more, the rest seems to have to go with it..

Will I have to overdrive the maggie? Does the TB need to be upgraded as well? Will my Diff explode with that much power, and I will need those axles, diff cooler, bigger clutch/PP?

Will I have a chance of passing smog?

In short, is upgrading the heads going to put me into a financial and mod nightmare?

I like to track the car as well, and with 50k miles on the car, should I be thinking complete valve job no matter what anyway?

HELP!

·
Registered
05 Eforce LS3 V
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you didn't bend a valve and all you need is springs, I would go dual springs & Ti retainers minimum.

If your pulling the heads off, then time to regroup and see how much money you have to throw at it..
Pulled the heads to see if there was any other damage.

·
Registered
06' cts-v infrared
243 Posts
Heads and a blower cam while your in there would make some sense. Then replace cam chain and possible underdrive pulley also. Cam will come out through the front without removing the entire front fascia.

Now of course with the extra power when you fry your clutch you can put in the ls7 clutch setup when it goes.

Then when it comes time to replace the rear diff they should have the case and axle thing all worked out so that will be pretty easy also.

Just think of the "while your at its" you can accomplish on this project. The nice thing is you can do it in steps and then justify it to whoever you need. Do what you are comfortable with since you are already in mod hell!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
OK, so you can change the lifters to.

MOREL is the best from what I hear.

(That was after I installed RHOADS in mine) they work also.

For rockers, everyone has an opinion on which ones.

I use Comp Cams #1500 system in mine.

It is a PITA (but modders wet dream) to install because you need to grind out every boss and baffle in the valve cover plus shim it 1/2 inch.

Plus you need different length push rods.

If you want to see the whole nine yards of what I installed in my V, I have the same set ready for Mr. Vette (minus the lifters).

Give me a call.

Cam? No comment

Port & polish? No comment.

Sorry you broke it.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
DO NOT underdrive the main pulley on a supercharged motor.
I'd be thinking about how much I wanna spend, and how happy I am with the power I have now.
Good luck

Tony

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
If anything you should overdrive the blower, not spin it slower.

In any case, No, you dont have to overdrive the blower if you install better flowing heads. You will see less boost but the engine will still run better than it did before if its tuned correctly. The TB wont have to be upgraded either. I'm wanting to get a 90mm snout for mine but for now its just a self ported 78mm stocker. If you haven't already shelled the rear end with the maggie, then I doubt you will with the addition of cam and heads. Thats really up to how you drive it though. I still dont have my diff cooler installed but I am working on it a little at a time. I drive the piss out of my car and no problems with anything yet. Clutch and pressure plate I would definitely upgrade. My ls7 setup holds very well. As long as the car is tuned correctly and since you cant go with a real radical cam with the blower, I dont see any problems in you passing smog. IF THE TUNE IS RIGHT.

My Crane gold roller rockers required no modification and I'm running 1.8 ratio in my car with no problems. They are nice and quite. I barley have any tick at all in my car. I think the tick I do have is just injectors.

Also, dont replace the springs with stock. I have patriot gold extreme springs in my car with Ti retainers and super 7 locks. They ran on a cam with .649 lift for a few months until I broke a rod. Those same springs are on my new engine. I have nothing but good things to say about my patriot springs. And they are reasonably priced. Plus you have the back up of the second spring since is a dual coil setup.

·
Registered
05 Eforce LS3 V
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If anything you should overdrive the blower, not spin it slower.

In any case, No, you dont have to overdrive the blower if you install better flowing heads. You will see less boost but the engine will still run better than it did before if its tuned correctly. The TB wont have to be upgraded either. I'm wanting to get a 90mm snout for mine but for now its just a self ported 78mm stocker. If you haven't already shelled the rear end with the maggie, then I doubt you will with the addition of cam and heads. Thats really up to how you drive it though. I still dont have my diff cooler installed but I am working on it a little at a time. I drive the piss out of my car and no problems with anything yet. Clutch and pressure plate I would definitely upgrade. My ls7 setup holds very well. As long as the car is tuned correctly and since you cant go with a real radical cam with the blower, I dont see any problems in you passing smog. IF THE TUNE IS RIGHT.

My Crane gold roller rockers required no modification and I'm running 1.8 ratio in my car with no problems. They are nice and quite. I barley have any tick at all in my car. I think the tick I do have is just injectors.

Also, dont replace the springs with stock. I have patriot gold extreme springs in my car with Ti retainers and super 7 locks. They ran on a cam with .649 lift for a few months until I broke a rod. Those same springs are on my new engine. I have nothing but good things to say about my patriot springs. And they are reasonably priced. Plus you have the back up of the second spring since is a dual coil setup.
Thanks, that is the kind of feedback I need!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts