Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Which 2 seater best graces the space next to the V?

• Exige (turbo or S/C mods immediately)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
81 - 100 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Tomorrow is drive her for an hour or two in the morning and then handwash her, rearrange the garage to get all three back in (poor V is sleeping outside tonight - should wash her tomorrow too) and then tweak the suspension just a touch (because I can).

As far as mods go, ACE, I'm confident 240+ hp and 170+ torque can be had - the question is when. More is made on the same block in other cars, as well as base Elise/Exige with aftermarket superchargers. As always, it's a matter of cylinder pressure and how far you're willing to push it (but I know I'm preaching to the choir here).

This thing is friggin' cool...and I need to get pics with the V and S together!

WW

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
WW,
Great job, I am jealous....really, as I don't even fit in one (with a helmet on).

Be careful, as those cars allow one to drive much more aggressively than one normaly would. The braking, turn-in, and corner speed of those machines are unbelieveable...you should have a blast.

I wish you many happy, safe, high lateral-g miles in your purpose-built adrenaline-factory!!!

Just promise you'll compete in the autoxes (they are almost God-given answers to many autoxers prayers) and HPDEs...

Good luck and be good,
Tom

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Tom -

I can't hide anymore. Dennis knows where I live (almost) and knows I have a track less than 30 miles away. The wife bought me 2 track days last year, or promised them, that I never used. I have no excuses.

I will positively AutoX the bitch :lildevil:

So far I haven't pushed her at all. You would all probably be surprised to hear that my V rides harsher :eek:

WW

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
Get your calendar out... we're going to the track.. :highfive:

found my clunk today so we're golden..:bouncy:

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Just a bit of a :rant2: here.

When I picked up the V nearly 3 years ago, I didn't even make it home before the TPS warnings started going off. This was in February and it was probably 50 degrees ambient. Get home and the tire pressures are all above 40 psi. Kind of ticked me off that the dealer wasn't smart enough to check pressures.

Now, the Exige has no TPS warning system, but in reading *other* forums I've found the tires are often overinflated from the dealer/factory. So I go out this morning and check. Left front 36 psi cold, balance of tires 46 psi cold :eek:

Recommended is 26 psi front and 29 psi rear, cold. Tires are uber soft...glad I didn't drive a couple hundred "break-in" miles yesterday :thepan:

Rant off. Time to go play.

WW

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I've never driven a car with half as much torque as horsepower.

It must be very motorcycle-like.
Surprisingly, not so much. Certainly keeping the revs up helps - but the thing is just so damn light...and I'm playing nice with it during *break-in* since Lotus is like big brother with ECU dumps during service. Everything from standing starts to over revs to ??? are recorded and held in the service record.

WW

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
As far as mods go, ACE, I'm confident 240+ hp and 170+ torque can be had - the question is when. More is made on the same block in other cars, as well as base Elise/Exige with aftermarket superchargers. As always, it's a matter of cylinder pressure and how far you're willing to push it (but I know I'm preaching to the choir here).

WW
11.5 CR!!!! Wow, that's pretty high for a boosted motor. I didn't go digging much but I'm willing to bet boost is limited to around 4-5lbs...yes? Any more on that CR and there'll be some pretty high pressures seen. I'm not sure if the internals are forged/cast/hypercraptectic/ect...but if the pistons are forged, then lowering the CR to up the boost would be a great way to go.

If you can find a tuner who can tweak the ECU, you could probably get a good amount of power with a pulley and meth injection..even without the drop in CR. The Exige Cup 240 may also have some pieces that could be bolted-on (pulley, ECU) to allow the same gains.

Best advice though...and I really mean this...
Wait a year or 5 track-days and 5 autoxes before you mod the motor. As it is, the stock tires will do a great job of covering mistakes. The balance/cornering abilities of the car are so high that it will take a good amount of time before one can get "everything" out of the motor.
When you've been to the track several times and are consistantly sliding the tires IN and OUT of the turns, and you've really learned/become "ONE" with the car...then address the motor. The learning curve will be much steeper with a stock motor and there is much to learn with a "mid-engine"....
If you start bringing power-oversteer (more than stock) into the equation, it will be harder to find the chassis' limits before your own...

And there is a certain pride one gets from beating higher hp cars with skill. There were many times that jaws hit the floor when my 130hp Spyder turned-out faster laps than the Vipers/PorscheTTs/Vettes/ect.

Without having the power to overtake on the straights, one must learn to carry every last mph out of the turns...run on the ragged edge of traction...to keep-up or beat the others. When that ability is honed, then the extra shot of HP is added....well, lets just say its appreciated/utilized much better.

Or just mod it right away...either way you'll get facial cramps from "Permagrin"...

Be good,
Tom

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
I agree with Tom.. tune the driver first.. you've got plenty of car to scare the bejeeppers out of yourself. Once you can't do that then mod till you do.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Tom, urby and Dennis - all correct. I drove about 100 miles today. How sweet is it to experience controlled understeer AND oversteer in the same turn - repeatedly. I surely have a lot to learn! Cold here today, but with correct tire pressures now I took some of my favorite V corners at V entry speeds only to find out I should have turned up the wick by 15-20 mph...later, when it is warm and I'm more familiar with the handling.

SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT THOUGH! I'm going to have to track the V too. I really don't think the Exige will be hugely faster. The V in current configuration just F'in sticks to the road in a manner that 4000 lbs shouldn't - and it has the go to back it up. Competition tires on the V must be a total kick in the shitter :suspect:

The S doesn't need any more HP right now. There are owners, though, who have bolted on an S/C to the stock motor (still 11.5/1) and are up around 275 hp or so - if you want to waste some time search for *ronin* on youtube.com.

There is also a lot of speculation on what is really different (in terms of the motor) on the cup 240 vs. the S. Early dynos look like not as much as the marketing department claims - hopefully it is true. One theory is that the throttle position is limited to like 60-80% on the S...that should be a relatively easy hack with a piggyback or an actual flash. Cracking the ECU is the challenge - and I have no clue how or where to start, nor the knowledge of what's involved, so I won't even try :confused:

urby - I doubt you would put it into a fence. If it is a split rail fence, you'll just slide under it :eek:

81 - 100 of 170 Posts