Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have an '71 Vega (that needs a lot of work); question, can I put an LF3 engine in my Vega without having to redesign the Vega??
Thx. W.G.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport, 2016 Chevy SS M6
493 Posts
Haha! Cool idea but the odds of anyone here having an answer is extremely remote at best. Vsport is a very low volume car, so just finding a donor would be a chore. An LS swap or 2.0T from the ATS make a more sense to me, but then again I would start with a better base car such as the 240Sx or similar.

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport, 2006 STS-V
73 Posts
You can do anything with enough money, assuming it will physically fit. Whether it's practical or not is gonna depend on a lot of things. They make LS swap kits that are damn near universal these days, that's definitely the more tried and true method.

·
Registered
Silver 2014 CTS - VSport; Caterham CSR
28 Posts
Back in the day (mid 70s) V8 Vegas were all the rage. And unless a lot of additional bracing and support was added, every one one of them twisted the body enough to have visible exterior cracks, eventually self destructing. A modem V-Sport's 420hp is at least 100 more than the old muscle car 8s and has a lot more plumbing and electronics for you to deal with. So, can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? That all depends on how big a budget you have and how far your engineering and fabricating skills have advanced.

·
Registered
2010 CTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys, Thx 4 the replies, I really appreciate them..
To answer Mr. LuckyDawg; I have very little engineering or fabricating skills.. I will have to farm out most of the work.. Back in the
day I used to do most of the work myself, including rebuilding engines; i.e. the 396 for my '66 Chevelle
My 1st idea was to hop up an 4.3L to install in the Vega.. I know that they make kits for an GM 350, so I figured an 4.3L would work..
Then I found out that Cadillac has an CTS Vsport with an souped up 3.6L so it crossed my mind to see if the 3.6L would work..
Does anyone know how I can get in touch with GM Technician that I can ask him some questions.. Or maybe a different Forum?? I am
still saving up Funds to do several projects.. I also have an '95 Z-26 Beretta, an '79 short bed stepside Truck and an '65 Belvedere II..

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport, 2016 Chevy SS M6
493 Posts
I hate to be negative but in every side yard and craigslist in America is evidence of this day dream, 97 times out of 100 it ends in the junk yard or so poorly done that its miserable. This-----> "I have very little engineering or fabricating skills.. I will have to farm out most of the work.." ...almost guarantees the project will never be finished because it will drain you of cash and just finding someone interested in working on it might be a challenge. Why not get something with tons of aftermarket support such as a late model Camaro or Mustang and use the money towards mods that you can do yourself? You would have the added benefit of a car that someone would actually want when you're done with it.

·
Registered
2010 CTS
6 Posts
Hi,
U don't know me but I am a little different.. I like being different, including but limited to having different things. Years ago I figured out how to describe myself; "I am Not a leader Nor am I a follower, I am somewhere in the middle about 2 steps to the Right". For some reason I want to put an V-6 in the Vega.. The 4.3L is an 350 V-8 with the front 2 cylinders cut off..

----------

Hi,
My 1st project is probably gng 2 be the '95 Z-26 Beretta. I have know about this car since its was New. I young girl used to drive it to the convienent store that I worked at. She got married and the someone ran into its right side, it has blown head gaskets which the 3.1L engine is infamous for doing. I want to boost it up a little, and make sure that it be very difficult to overheat ever again. This girl was very emotional when I towed this car away. I am going to put it in my Will that Mr. & Mrs Mark Kelling will be owners of the Z-26. I am 67 and they are around 30.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
550 Posts
With all the electronics embedded in modern engines, it makes swapping extremely difficult. You will probably have to swap in the instrument cluster, possibly more of the dash, in order to make things work. You have things like the mode selector (tour, sport, track) that may even be looking for data back from the steering, transmission, engine, and shocks.

There are much better swap options out there than something this new/modern.

·
Registered
2010 CTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi CTSVsport,
Thx. 4 the reply.. That's why I will probably go with an 4.3L engine.. Just thought I would throw the idea out there
and see what came back..

·
Registered
2010 CTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guys,
Can I say "Have an Safe & Happy Memorial Day" without ruffling too many feathers..
wgrebel/W.G. Davis Vietnam Veteran

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
^^Same to you my friend. :)
23 years U. S. Navy, retired

1 - 12 of 12 Posts