Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is from Automotive News:

Cadillac is betting that the 2004 CTS-V, with a stick shift and a modified Corvette V-8, can help the automaker shake its stodgy image.

The car, due early next year, will be the first in a series of high-performance, limited-edition models that Cadillac will market under the V-series label.

V-series cars will be aimed at high-performance Mercedes-Benz AMG and BMW M models.

The CTS-V is "about making people notice that we are not the Cadillac we used to be," says Jim Taylor, vehicle line executive for GM's luxury cars.

Other enhancements

Besides more power, V-series models will have enhanced brakes, suspension and steering. The CTS-V's exterior will be distinguished by a stainless-steel mesh grille and restyled front and rear fascias that improve engine and brake cooling.

GM promises 0-to-60 mph acceleration in less than five seconds for the CTS-V and a top speed of more than 155 mph.

Cadillac expects to produce 2,200 CTS-Vs for the 2004 model year and cap production at 10 percent of CTS production for 2005 and beyond.

The rear-drive 2004 XLR two-passenger retractable hardtop and the next generation STS sedan, which bows in 2004, will get V-series versions.

But the performance models will bow about 12 to 18 months after the base cars go into production. Production also will be capped at about 10 percent of a model's production.

Combined CTS, XLR and STS V-series production is estimated at 6,500 annually. For comparison, Mercedes-Benz sells about 8,000 AMG vehicles in the United States.

While pricing has not been announced, Cadillac will follow the lead set by Mercedes-Benz and BMW, a GM source says. Those automakers price their performance models approximately $10,000 to $15,000 above the base vehicle in a model line.

GM's Performance Division is responsible for creating performance vehicles from production models for Cadillac and other GM brands. The CTS-V is the first performance car created by the division.

Under the CTS-V hood will be a reworked Corvette Z06 5.7-liter V-8. The Cadillac version has 400 hp and 380 pounds-feet of torque mated to a transmission not seen at Cadillac since 1940: a manual. The six-speed manual Tremec transmission features an advanced flywheel to reduce noise and vibration.

The Corvette Z06 V-8 has 405 hp and 400 pounds-feet of torque.

While Cadillac is taking the risky step of offering only a manual transmission, the automaker says 50 percent of Europe's performance sedans and coupes sold in North America are sold with a manual transmission.

"Naturally, more volume would come with the automatic, but we had limited resources" and time, Taylor says.

To fit a larger automatic transmission into the car, GM would have to cut a portion of the car's frame and bend the firewall.

"Whenever you get into metal changes, it's a big deal," Taylor says. "That's the issue. So we decided to play our chips on the manual first and circle back and maybe in a couple years put in an automatic."

The CTS-V's suspension was designed by several engineers who race Corvettes, says Stieg Ingvarsson, product manager of V series/Motorsports. They "pushed us to Nuerburgring testing, which has been very, very beneficial not only for the CTS but especially for this car."

'Industry days'

Germany's famed former racetrack is used by that country's automakers for testing during what are known as "industry days." Mercedes, BMW and Audi were testing vehicles at the same time Cadillac was tuning the CTS-V.

"All the other teams were out there clocking lap times, and they know you are gong full bore," Ingvarsson says.

While the V series will be extended to several of Cadillac's new cars, no decision has been made on whether the automaker's SUVs or the 2004 SRX sport wagon will get the performance treatment.

"That is actually up for debate," Taylor says. "If you take the real purist performance view of this, you ought to stay with sedans and roadsters. Even BMW, when they looked at their X5, they put in a nice upgraded engine, but they didn't give it the M stance."

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you're probably thinkin of the XLR, which like its platform mate, the corvette, has the trans in the rear

·
Registered
35 Posts
While pricing has not been announced, Cadillac will follow the lead set by Mercedes-Benz and BMW, a GM source says. Those automakers price their performance models approximately $10,000 to $15,000 above the base vehicle in a model line.
YES!! A $40,000-$45,000 CTS-V will be sitting in my garage, a $50k plus one WILL NOT!

... mated to a transmission not seen at Cadillac since 1940: a manual.
LIARS!!! Everyone represses the memory of the little

C I M A R R O N

:banana:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Re: Re: V-Series Article

Spike said:
LIARS!!! Everyone represses the memory of the little
C I M A R R O N

:banana:

We're talkin' about Cadillacs here! Cimmarron was a Cadillac like Escalade is a Cadillac.........NOT!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Me I think the Cimmaron was a nice Cadillac; my Mom had one and liked it except for a suspension thump she couldn't get rid of.
I'm also perfectly happy that Cadillac is making luxury trucks, if people want to buy luxury trucks. Pays for more development of luxury cars in my book.
I actually prefer the common platform Cadillacs in some ways -- specifically that performance parts are more common for them. You can get two different blowers that I know of for the Escalade, and we are still waiting for a Northstar supercharger. As soon as the CTS-V hits the street there will be performance parts available for it -- the LS6 has very nice aftermarket support.

The original line on the "... not since 1940" I think was that the CTS-V is ONLY available as a manual. The Cimmaron was available as and auto or manual. You'd have to go back to 40 to find another Cadillac that did not OFFER automatic.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I must admit, I never new the Cimmaron was available with a manual. I know I never saw one.
But just to set the record straight, Cadillac didn't make the Cimmaronn, nor does it make the Escalade. They just have their respective manufacturers "tart" them up and throw Cadillac badges on them. Just another example of "badge engineering".

But they were/are NO CADILLAC :D

·
Registered
655 Posts
The problem with sharing platforms with Chevys is that you will always be constrained to a price point within some modest increment above the Chevy price tag, and that's not the territory Cadillac should be in if they're going to live up to their goals.

The Cimarron was not a bad car. It was a so-so car - a Cavalier with leather upholstery. It was, however, grossly underpowered in its original form, and it was always grossly overpriced. And, because there wasn't sufficient content in the car to justify that pricetag, it was a very poor Cadillac.

The LS6 is very definitely the right engine for the CTSv, above and beyond the fact that it just works, because Cadillac needs that Corvette 'halo' for their performance models.

The bellhousing and transmission setup in the CTSv is closer to the Camarobird or the Australian Holdens - it may, in fact, borrow most of the hardware from one of those applications. Any word whether the CTSv has an hydraulically-operated clutch?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
JEM said:
The problem with sharing platforms with Chevys is that you will always be constrained to a price point within some modest increment above the Chevy price tag, and that's not the territory Cadillac should be in if they're going to live up to their goals.

The Cimarron was not a bad car. It was a so-so car - a Cavalier with leather upholstery. It was, however, grossly underpowered in its original form, and it was always grossly overpriced. And, because there wasn't sufficient content in the car to justify that pricetag, it was a very poor Cadillac.

The LS6 is very definitely the right engine for the CTSv, above and beyond the fact that it just works, because Cadillac needs that Corvette 'halo' for their performance models.

The bellhousing and transmission setup in the CTSv is closer to the Camarobird or the Australian Holdens - it may, in fact, borrow most of the hardware from one of those applications. Any word whether the CTSv has an hydraulically-operated clutch?
i thought it was using t56 tremac which is shared by z06/cobra/viper.

·
Registered
655 Posts
'Yes, the Viper and the '03 Cobra use T56s, but they're far from the only ones. The Corvette uses a repackaged T56 in a transaxle configuration.

The T56 was used in the Camarobird for a number of years (since '95?), it's also been used in all the V8/manual transmission Holden sedans and coupes since the mid '90s.

Ford is using the T56 in the new 'cheap' Aston Martin, in this case with a Tremec-developed clutchless-sequential shift package. This will also be going into the '05 Cobra.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The T56 was used in the Camarobird for a number of years (since '95?), it's also been used in all the V8/manual transmission Holden sedans and coupes since the mid '90s.
'93 was the first year for the T56 in the Camaro/Firebuzzard, I think it was in the Corvette in '92. The Tremec is a newer version of the original T56 that is supposedly more rugged and apparently built in Mexico, I think they switched to it in like 1998 or so in the Fbody cars...

·
Registered
655 Posts
The T56 was developed by Borg-Warner (BW Automotive). BW also did the T5, T45, etc.

Tremec (it's a company, not a transmission) bought the rights to the T56 and all the other BW transmissions and moved production to Mexico. They do the T5, the T45, the T3550/TKO, T3650, etc. (and probably others that don't come immediately to mind) for various OEM and aftermarket applications.

The Corvette piece is probably the most 'customized' because of the transaxle mounting. The new Aston Martin/'05 Cobra piece has the SMG hardware, which makes for some differences.

There are different gear-ratio combinations available (the Viper gets the tallest first gear so as not to have its big torque-monster V10 busting transmissions) as well as different shifter locations/orientations. There are aftermarket versions for Ford Mustang retrofit and other 'universal' installations.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Re: Re: Re: V-Series Article

kcnewell said:
We're talkin' about Cadillacs here! Cimmarron was a Cadillac like Escalade is a Cadillac.........NOT!
Hey hey now, what is not Cadillac about an Escalade? The Cimmaron was a SMALL V6 rebadged Cavalier. There is NO Cadillac in that! The NEW Escalade (which is what I'm talking about, not the old one) is ALL Cadillac. To me, besides its truck platform, it is more CADILLAC than a DeVille. It A)is BIG B)it has a 360+ somthin Cubic inch PUSHROD engine (very Cadillac like) C)it excells in straight line performance, D)Its not FWD, it is RWD or AWD, and E)Unlike the CTS, it has a bigger engine than its Lincoln competitor, and is faster. The Cimmaron is NONE of that. Escalade is ALL Cadillac, Cimmaron is not. Besides, if it wasn't for the Escalade, then kids would still be thinking Cadillac made geezer cars and the CTS was for the hyperactive geezer, not an entry-level BMW beater. When they heard that, they'd laugh their @$$ off. The Escalade helped not only its own sales, but other Cadillacs too. The Escalade was a big accomplishment, it helped to bring Cadillac sales up and change its image for the GOOD. Cimmaron changed Cadillac's image for the BAD. VERY DIFFERENT CARS!!!!!

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Re: Re: Re: V-Series Article

03EscaladeAWD said:
Hey hey now, what is not Cadillac about an Escalade? The Cimmaron was a SMALL V6 rebadged Cavalier. There is NO Cadillac in that! The NEW Escalade (which is what I'm talking about, not the old one) is ALL Cadillac. To me, besides its truck platform, it is more CADILLAC than a DeVille. It A)is BIG B)it has a 360+ somthin Cubic inch PUSHROD engine (very Cadillac like) C)it excells in straight line performance, D)Its not FWD, it is RWD or AWD, and E)Unlike the CTS, it has a bigger engine than its Lincoln competitor, and is faster. The Cimmaron is NONE of that. Escalade is ALL Cadillac, Cimmaron is not. Besides, if it wasn't for the Escalade, then kids would still be thinking Cadillac made geezer cars and the CTS was for the hyperactive geezer, not an entry-level BMW beater. When they heard that, they'd laugh their @$$ off. The Escalade helped not only its own sales, but other Cadillacs too. The Escalade was a big accomplishment, it helped to bring Cadillac sales up and change its image for the GOOD. Cimmaron changed Cadillac's image for the BAD. VERY DIFFERENT CARS!!!!!
I'm not really a fan of the Escalade, but I gotta agree with that statement

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
10 Participants
Brett