Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Wagon
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 V wagon with 55k miles. The car is mostly garage kept but last week I left it outside during heavy rains while working on other cars (and my mower). I now have a headlight that is full of water.

I thought the wagon/coupe/sedan were identical from the firewall forward. But looking online at the entire assembly the prices vary greatly between the sedan and coupe/wagon part numbers.

The left/right sedan PNs are 22755339/22755340, cost is $498.91.

The left/right coupe/wagon PNs are 22755337/22755338, cost is $876.02.

Is there a difference in the headlight assemblies between the models?

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
As the coupe/Vagon were both introduced in’11, there may some small differences between them and the sedan, which was introduced in ‘09. Having said that, the cynical side of my brain says they’re probably all the same and GM is jacking up the price for the “newer product”.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,020 Posts
The only difference should be HID or non-HID. Peering through your condensation, yours sure look to be HID. Confirm on your SPID, of course.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Wagon
3 Posts
The only difference should be HID or non-HID. Peering through your condensation, yours sure look to be HID. Confirm on your SPID, of course.

HIDs, yes. When I look on the discount sites, it lists all 4 PNs as HID. Entering my VIN on those sites, I still get all 4 options. I'll call my dealer and figure out which is correct. At a $kilobuck for the pair, I'm tempted to get new lights on the car and make sure I always park inside. At ~$900/ea, I might take the time to repair the one I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe Premium
165 Posts
HIDs, yes. When I look on the discount sites, it lists all 4 PNs as HID. Entering my VIN on those sites, I still get all 4 options. I'll call my dealer and figure out which is correct. At a $kilobuck for the pair, I'm tempted to get new lights on the car and make sure I always park inside. At ~$900/ea, I might take the time to repair the one I have.
At that price, and if there are no other issues, why not?

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Wagon
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At that price, and if there are no other issues, why not?

I'd prefer to replace both - the driver's side is dry but shows wear/hazing on the lens. ~$1000 isn't bad to get 2 new lights, ~$1800 for 2 lights is above my pain tolerance for a simple repair. Just balancing time/money/end result in my head.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,036 Posts
Contact Luke @ Lindsay, give him your VIN,and he can look up the correct part. Usually has very decent pricing as well.
My thoughts as well.

·
Registered
Current-'11 V Wagon, Gone- '13 V Coupe, '10 Sedan, '07 V1, '06 STS-V
287 Posts
Hey!!!

I definitely agree with Jayoldschool. I've had all 3 models & always believed they are identical from the front to the doors. Cheaper ones are probably nonHID's. Definitely check with Luke to be on safe side.

Paul

·
Registered
11 Black Diamond Edition CTS-V Coupe, 12 SRX, 18 Ridgeline RTL-E
182 Posts
I'd prefer to replace both - the driver's side is dry but shows wear/hazing on the lens. ~$1000 isn't bad to get 2 new lights, ~$1800 for 2 lights is above my pain tolerance for a simple repair. Just balancing time/money/end result in my head.
I suggest you check the RPO codes, on the underside of the spare cover in the trunk. The code for what is physically on the vehicle should be in there. Most any vendor should be able to match the OEM PN to that code.

Searching on "2011 Cadillac CTS-V RPO Codes", I found "T4F Headlamps, high intensity discharge" listed. That may suggest that HID lamps were optional.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why all the talk about replacement?
The water found its path into the assembly so it can also exit the light assembly. Simply park the c a r outside facing the South so it sees maximum sun. The inside of the light assembly will warm and water will escape as vapor. You may need a few days to dry out, but it will dry.
Also don't worry about using the light, the heat from the bulb will clear the water drops from the beam in a short time.

·
Premium Member
'16 CTS V-Sport Phantom Gray Metallic, '09 CTS4 Red (gone)
21 Posts
I had the same issue with condensation inside my headlamp housing on the '09 CTS4. Instead of replacing the housing, my service writer suggested that they drill some small holes in the plastic (in a hidden and protected area) to allow vapor to escape. Then, as bwgerho91 suggests above, exposure to sunlight and use of the lights will clear the water in a short time.

It worked like a charm, with no recurrence of the problem. I think I paid for a couple of hours of shop labor (getting to the housing is a bit of a pain), but it was considerably less that replacement.

Reactions: silversport

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Wagon
2 Posts
These are very easy to remove, open up and re-seal to prevent this from happening again. I have done several sets here in the PNW and have not had condensation and/or water in them after.

·
Registered
1 Posts
These are very easy to remove, open up and re-seal to prevent this from happening again. I have done several sets here in the PNW and have not had condensation and/or water in them after.
It took me most of the day to remove and re install drivers side on my '11 coupe. You need to remove the whole front bumper unless you want to put undue strain on the side of the plastic bumper cover and crack it (I did)

ALSO.... why does nobody mention "adaptive " HID headlights ? I believe that the HID headlights were available both with and without the "forward adaptive" option....

·
Registered
2012 V Coupe Black Raven, 2011 CTS Premium Coupe Black Raven, 2010 CTS Premium Sedan
236 Posts
It took me most of the day to remove and re install drivers side on my '11 coupe. You need to remove the whole front bumper unless you want to put undue strain on the side of the plastic bumper cover and crack it (I did)

ALSO.... why does nobody mention "adaptive " HID headlights ? I believe that the HID headlights were available both with and without the "forward adaptive" option....
Don’t all HID headlights come with the forward adaptive lighting? Not sure but maybe that’s why Just sayin

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,036 Posts
You're right, Kenny, if your car has HID it has adaptive lighting as well. Both Performance and Premium packages had the HIDs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts