Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was all ready to get a V exhaust for my 3.2, but now after I read the back pressure issuses, I am not quite sure.

Has anyone tried to replace the 2 1/2" pipes between the resonator and muffler with 2 inch pipe? Would this be suffecient restriction?
Any better ideas? :banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,035 Posts
Basically a 2" version of the V 2.5" exhaust is the 3.6L exhaust! It may not sound as throaty, but it's a much better match for the 3.2L as far as flow increase.

Going from a single 2.5" to dual 2.5" pipes will surely kill torque. A 3.6L dual exhaust would be a simple installation. It may even be completely bolt-in with no mods, since the 3.2L car also has 2" pipes going to the resonator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
I have the V exhaust and 3.2 motor. I do not believe there is any issue with not enough back pressure. I have dyno'ed my car many times with each modification. I feel there is still quite a bit of restriction through the resonator and mufflers on the V exhaust. The dyno printouts support that there is no loss of power even down low with the V exhaust. It is a easy rewarding and cheap worthwhile mod. I say go for it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,670 Posts
I agree with okiwont's evaluation. I have a 3.2L with the V exhaust with no ill effects on the low end. In fact, I find myself slipping the rear wheels more often now that I have the larger pipes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
:yup: EXCELLENT first hand experience X2. The V exhaust is good to go with the 3.2L.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,043 Posts
So is the V exhaust with the 3.2 ok?? Im reading on some threads its not, and in this thread it is, there is one on ebay, and if its ok with the 3.2 I might get it. How much increase in power am I looking at? or should i just opt for a 3.6 exhaust, im looking for more performance benefit than sound, but sound is cool too. thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
Caddy Man said:
So is the V exhaust with the 3.2 ok?? Im reading on some threads its not, and in this thread it is, there is one on ebay, and if its ok with the 3.2 I might get it. How much increase in power am I looking at? or should i just opt for a 3.6 exhaust, im looking for more performance benefit than sound, but sound is cool too. thanks
I think you should go with the 3.6L exhaust. It just seems like that would be a better match for the 3.2L motor.:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
Caddy Man said:
So is the V exhaust with the 3.2 ok?? Im reading on some threads its not, and in this thread it is, there is one on ebay, and if its ok with the 3.2 I might get it. How much increase in power am I looking at? or should i just opt for a 3.6 exhaust, im looking for more performance benefit than sound, but sound is cool too. thanks
The early threads were based on science but recently it came to light that a couple of members did the mod anyway and noticed no loss in power.

According to science a bumble bee can't fly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Here is my thoughts for what it is worth.

If you want Looks and some performance then the V exhaust or 3.6 duals.

If you are only interested in performance then modify the 3.2L single exhaust. The stock exhaust has two pipes that come together at a resonator. The hot ticket would seem to be replacing this resonator with a Y-Pipe and then run a larger diameter single pipe from there back. Top it off with a lighter, high performance muffler.

You will have less back pressure at a lower weight. An advantage of the single exhaust is that it is significantly lighter than duals. On the 3.2L I would think you could get plenty off flow with a single, at least with the factory cats! If you put the duals on a 3.2L you may be offsetting HP gains with higher weight. Only the dyno will tell for sure, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
BlueMalibu said:
Here is my thoughts for what it is worth.

If you want Looks and some performance then the V exhaust or 3.6 duals.

If you are only interested in performance then modify the 3.2L single exhaust. The stock exhaust has two pipes that come together at a resonator. The hot ticket would seem to be replacing this resonator with a Y-Pipe and then run a larger diameter single pipe from there back. Top it off with a lighter, high performance muffler.

You will have less back pressure at a lower weight. An advantage of the single exhaust is that it is significantly lighter than duals. On the 3.2L I would think you could get plenty off flow with a single, at least with the factory cats! If you put the duals on a 3.2L you may be offsetting HP gains with higher weight. Only the dyno will tell for sure, though.
Another take. The E&G chrome tips cost $90. For about $30 more you get the big HD chrome CTS-V tips and the rest of the system. Probably the cheapest exhaust mod.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After thinking over the weekend, I have decided to go with a 3.6 exhaust for the 3.2.
Seems like it would be a much easier mod, without the feeling that something may go wrong down the road....

With that said, who has a 3.6 exhaust available???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
skehoe said:
After thinking over the weekend, I have decided to go with a 3.6 exhaust for the 3.2.
Seems like it would be a much easier mod, without the feeling that something may go wrong down the road....

With that said, who has a 3.6 exhaust available???
My suggestion is to post a new thread. It will quickly get buried here.
Be sure to identify your 10-40 so somebody in CA offers one to someone in NJ. The 3.6 is also very large like the V exhaust so hauling it is a bit of a challenge. Good luck!:yup:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
RobertCTS
Top