Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'05 CTS 3.6L
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a V exhaust from a member of this forum and had it installed yesterday. The sound is almost indiscernible from the stock except under load it has a deeper tone. I may consider removing the fiberglass packing in the future to add a bit more grunt. I was actually surprised that inside the car it sounds identical to the stock exhaust. But the tips are what it is all about! I can't believe Cadillac skimped on the stock CTS and didn't put tips on it!

·
Registered
'05 CTS 3.6L
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the exhaust for $100. I had a local shop in Zeeland, MI named Kuip's Muffler do the install. He was $200 for the install but that was because the person who removed it from their V cut it into 3 pieces. He had to weld 2-6" SS flanged extensions and clamp it back together. He said that the flanges were different sizes AND the spacing between flanges was different so he cut my stock catback about 8" behind the flanges and welded the V to it there. The workmanship is excellent and he spent about 15 minutes with a prybar getting everything level and getting the tips even and aligned.

All-in-all, I have $300 into it which really isn't bad at all for a 2-1/2" SS dual catback w/resonator! :thumbsup:

We went out and ran errands today and I am really happy with it. When the engine is loaded, it gives a nice rumble slightly louder than stock, but when cruising and idling it is quiet like the stock system. I think I'll leave it as-is and not remove the packing since I like the quiet on long highway trips.

·
Registered
'05 CTS 3.6L
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he had to take it all apart? Take your pipes off the headers?

I am going to do this myself i think since ive got a welder.

I just can't believe they can weld it while its on the car but there is alot of room

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/vexh-base/index.html
No ... the guy that removed it from his V cut it apart (still not sure why). I only found that out the day before I was to go pick it up and I almost was ready to not go, but it was the only one I could find near me!

If you do it yourself, just cut the stock flanges and weld them to the V exhaust. I'll get a pic of what the muffler shop did ... gimme a few minutes to get the car on ramps and snap a pic ...

·
Registered
2003 Cts
33 Posts
So I got a 3.2 and its 2 inch diameter correct? When you get a V exhaust how does that work? Do you run a 2inch to a larger 2.5 for the V exhaust. How does this work?

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
it should be be quiet down low; that is how it is on the V. It doesnt start roaring until you open her up. But she doesnt roar enough; which is why I am getting some magnaflows; I am only replacing the cans though.

I have a buddy who was looking to unload his stock V exhaust, that was quite a while ago though. I will check and see if he still has it and report back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts