Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my V exhaust installed today, Thank you again Robert for heading me in this direction.This is the best set-up for my taste. No drone and I feel no loss of torque. This might be in part to this guy's insistance on perfection. My original exhaust was pulled off intact including flanges. This guy fabricated me new flanges and O2 holes so my exhaust is 2 1/2 inches from the cats back. This guy was even more a perfectionist on the tips being matched in the back. My highest recommendation (rarely given). For those in or around the Orlando area check this guy out, as he can do any custom work you can come up with(has a nice mandrel bending machine). :worship: The v-exhaust is of the GM's fathers 05 V. The set-up had 15 miles on it and got it for $100 and the small custom instalation cost only an additional $90. If you are in the area this shop is called Discount Mufler - 4824 Old Winter Garden Rd Orlando,
407-521-7701. Robert you say you recieved your Volant. I ordered mine earlier the same day, I guess Hurricane alley here is a little slower!! Whatcha guys think

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing you'll need in addition are the three hangers for the left side and possibly a second O2 (not sure) Can somebody answer that question. Are there any 3.2 owners who have done this?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
B Hoth said:
The only thing you'll need in addition are the three hangers for the left side and possibly a second O2 (not sure) Can somebody answer that question. Are there any 3.2 owners who have done this?
I recall two hangers on each muffler. Looks well done Hoth!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
466 Posts
and possibly a second O2 (not sure)
:hmm:What is this in reference to? Sensor?

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I added the rear pics of the tips. They turned out terrific! The muffler guy was real particular how they looked. This guy treats all the work as if it was his own vehicle. Its a refreshing thing to see. He also does flowmaster, Dynomax, and other custom types. Robert any idea about the 2 O2 sensor holes on the 3.6 exhaust. Does the 3.2 have 2 before the Y-pipe or is our member going to half to add the second one and does it hook up to the same spot. The three hangers in back are one to each side of the muffler in the rear and one just in front of the muffler.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
My early '03 with the 3.2L has the O2 sensors on the pipes exiting the Cats before the flanges, not on the exhaust pipes after the flanges as on the 3.6L exhaust.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So INDO should just have the holes welded close? Then the only thing for him to get are the 3 hangers for the left side.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
B Hoth said:
I added the rear pics of the tips. They turned out terrific! The muffler guy was real particular how they looked. This guy treats all the work as if it was his own vehicle. Its a refreshing thing to see. He also does flowmaster, Dynomax, and other custom types. Robert any idea about the 2 O2 sensor holes on the 3.6 exhaust. Does the 3.2 have 2 before the Y-pipe or is our member going to half to add the second one and does it hook up to the same spot. The three hangers in back are one to each side of the muffler in the rear and one just in front of the muffler.
I don't know Hoth if the sensor is in front of or behind the Y split. I've never seen a 3.2 or 2.8 single exhaust before. I would think the ECM would detect oxy sensor absence.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
B Hoth said:
So INDO should just have the holes welded close? Then the only thing for him to get are the 3 hangers for the left side.
3.2 owners don't need to worry about O2 sensors since they are on the Cats just like the V exhaust is. The only things they need to worry about are the 2 hangers and making a cutout on the rear valence.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mbai2 you're right. INDO your going to have to make a cut into the rear bumper for the exit. Since many have done the exhaust upgrade can anyone supply the template or the best how to instruction for this procedure?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
B Hoth said:
Mbai2 you're right. INDO your going to have to make a cut into the rear bumper for the exit. Since many have done the exhaust upgrade can anyone supply the template or the best how to instruction for this procedure?
I suggest tracing the the one side and make a template from it. That way they will match.:yup:

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
B Hoth said:
Or if your exhaust guys are really good, you don't need a template.....these guys did this double cut out without one

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
B Hoth said:
Sure thing. I made my own template.

I took a piece of white paper and pressed it onto the cutout on the driver's side. I got a little dirt on my finger and rubbed the it along the edge of the cutout on the paper so that it would make a rubbing (remember doing this in kindergarten...except it was with a crayon or the side of a pencil tip) of the cutout pattern on the paper). With the paper still in the same position, I also rubbed the edge of the groove that extends across the rear center portion of the bumper. This groove serves as a guide for when you transfer it to the other side.

Cut the template out following the rubbing lines you made on the paper. The template should be shaped show that it fits exactly between the cutout and the groove on the driver's side. Paste or tape the paper template onto thin cardboard (I used a cereal box) and cut the same template out of the cardboard. Now you have finished making the template.

Put masking tape on where you think you will need to cut the rear bumper on the passeger side. Apply the template on the rear bumper on the passenger side but make sure you reverse it. Make sure that the side of the template that was facing you before is now pressed against the bumper. I repeat: REVERSE THE TEMPLATE. Take a black marker and mark on the masking tape where you need to cut. Double or triple check to make sure everything is exactly where you want it.

Now take a dremel or small rotary saw and cut slightly inside the line. Then switch to a sanding wheel to trim it out to the line you made. This will make the cut even and smooth. Make sure that you sand from the inside edge of the bumper and not the outside. This will prevent paint damage and hide sanding blemishes behind the bumper.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Mbai2 said:
Sure thing. I made my own template.

I took a piece of white paper and pressed it onto the cutout on the driver's side. I got a little dirt on my finger and rubbed the it along the edge of the cutout on the paper so that it would make a rubbing (remember doing this in kindergarten...except it was with a crayon or the side of a pencil tip) of the cutout pattern on the paper). With the paper still in the same position, I also rubbed the edge of the groove that extends across the rear center portion of the bumper. This groove serves as a guide for when you transfer it to the other side.

Cut the template out following the rubbing lines you made on the paper. The template should be shaped show that it fits exactly between the cutout and the groove on the driver's side. Paste or tape the paper template onto thin cardboard (I used a cereal box) and cut the same template out of the cardboard. Now you have finished making the template.

Put masking tape on where you think you will need to cut the rear bumper on the passeger side. Apply the template on the rear bumper on the passenger side but make sure you reverse it. Make sure that the side of the template that was facing you before is now pressed against the bumper. I repeat: REVERSE THE TEMPLATE. Take a black marker and mark on the masking tape where you need to cut. Double or triple check to make sure everything is exactly where you want it.

Now take a dremel or small rotary saw and cut slightly inside the line. Then switch to a sanding wheel to trim it out to the line you made. This will make the cut even and smooth. Make sure that you sand from the inside edge of the bumper and not the outside. This will prevent paint damage and hide sanding blemishes behind the bumper.
Nicely said Mbai2..a deserving place in the FAQ Section for others.:yup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts