Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
04' CTS-V, 04' Escalade EXT
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to know what if anything is available and comparable to a textralia or equiv that works with the UUC flywheel.

I have scanned the search already with little luck.

Thanks,
rgd

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
I like my C5 Z06 Clutch. Ordered it from TPIS and it came in with a "balance ok" mark on it (they balance check them). Paid $695 for clutch, PP and Flywheel.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I like my C5 Z06 Clutch. Ordered it from TPIS and it came in with a "balance ok" mark on it (they balance check them). Paid $695 for clutch, PP and Flywheel.
I am now in the situation as rgd - I have a UUC flywheel but will need a clutch and pressure plate to go with it. Are you suggesting that one option is to buy the TPIS package and use the C5 Z06 clutch disc and pressure plate and discard the TPIS spacer and TPIS flywheel? If so, do you know that the UUC flywheel will work with the C5 Z06 PP & disc?

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Just want to know what if anything is available and comparable to a textralia or equiv that works with the UUC flywheel.

I have scanned the search already with little luck.

Thanks,
rgd
I am researching the same question. I did find a number of options at the Spec website that involve clutch disc and pressure plate "sets" for use with either the stock flywheel or aftermarket flywheels modeled on the stock flywheel, which presumably includes UUC.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Are you suggesting that one option is to buy the TPIS package and use the C5 Z06 clutch disc and pressure plate and discard the TPIS spacer and TPIS flywheel? If so, do you know that the UUC flywheel will work with the C5 Z06 PP & disc?
Heck no- don't buy the flywheel and spacer, just the clutch and PP. I was just providing the price for a reference point (i.e.- it was cheap even with the flywheel, which you don't need). The Z06 PP should bolt right up, but I don't think it's any more heavy duty than the stock V clutch. I only went with it since it came as complete package from TPIS and it was inexpensive.

If you're replacing the clutch because it needs it and you aren't looking for a huge upgrade then this is probably a good choice. If you want something more extreme, go with Textralia or the like.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Heck no- don't buy the flywheel and spacer, just the clutch and PP. I was just providing the price for a reference point (i.e.- it was cheap even with the flywheel, which you don't need). The Z06 PP should bolt right up, but I don't think it's any more heavy duty than the stock V clutch. I only went with it since it came as complete package from TPIS and it was inexpensive.

If you're replacing the clutch because it needs it and you aren't looking for a huge upgrade then this is probably a good choice. If you want something more extreme, go with Textralia or the like.
Got it. Thank you.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am researching the same question. I did find a number of options at the Spec website that involve clutch disc and pressure plate "sets" for use with either the stock flywheel or aftermarket flywheels modeled on the stock flywheel, which presumably includes UUC.
Darkman:
Good stuff. Spec website?? I guess I'll have to find that.
I'll keep looking too and let you know if I see anything good.

If not, who knows my next thread might read, "UUC Flywheel for sale, less than 200 miles use".

Tony, thanks for you input as well. :thumbsup:

Thanks, rgd

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Darkman:
Good stuff. Spec website?? I guess I'll have to find that.
I'll keep looking too and let you know if I see anything good.

If not, who knows my next thread might read, "UUC Flywheel for sale, less than 200 miles use".

Tony, thanks for you input as well. :thumbsup:

Thanks, rgd
RESEARCH UPDATE: From what I can tell the only clutch disc & pressure plate set that is KNOWN to work with the UUC flywheel is the Stock CTS-V set. This conclusion is based on the fact that the Dual Mass/UUC flywheels have a recessed friction area. This observation is echoed by a post by Lance '04V in a companion current thread on clutches. This observation is also supported by SPEC's website which mentions the recessed friction area for CTS-V set ups. Additionally, SPEC's part numbers for LS6 Corvette clutches are not the same as LS6 CTS-V clutches in any application.

The other difference between the CTS-V clutch and the Corvette is the presence springs on the clutch disk. The CTS-V has a "spring-loaded" (effectively) dual mass flywheel, but an unsprung Clutch Disc. The Corvette (and the rest of the free world for that matter) uses unsprung flywheels in conjunction with sprung clutch discs. HOWEVER, we have conclusive evidence that the unsprung UUC Flywheel works just fine with the unsprung Stock CTS-V Clutch disk because we have at least two forum members that have thousands of trouble free miles (no driveability issues) with that combination.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RESEARCH UPDATE: From what I can tell the only clutch disc & pressure plate set that is KNOWN to work with the UUC flywheel is the Stock CTS-V set. This conclusion is based on the fact that the Dual Mass/UUC flywheels have a recessed friction area. This observation is echoed by a post by Lance '04V in a companion current thread on clutches. This observation is also supported by SPEC's website which mentions the recessed friction area for CTS-V set ups. Additionally, SPEC's part numbers for LS6 Corvette clutches are not the same as LS6 CTS-V clutches in any application.

The other difference between the CTS-V clutch and the Corvette is the presence springs on the clutch disk. The CTS-V has a "spring-loaded" (effectively) dual mass flywheel, but an unsprung Clutch Disc. The Corvette (and the rest of the free world for that matter) uses unsprung flywheels in conjunction with sprung clutch discs. HOWEVER, we have conclusive evidence that the unsprung UUC Flywheel works just fine with the unsprung Stock CTS-V Clutch disk because we have at least two forum members that have thousands of trouble free miles (no driveability issues) with that combination.
gr8, anybody wanna buy a UUC Flywheel with only 2oo miles on it. Good deal!

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Fixing the UPDATE - In my update I omitted one fact we had already knew, which is that Spec has Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, and Stage 4 Clutch Disc and Pressure Plates sets that will work with either the Stock Flywheel or the UUC Flywheel. I have no independent opinion on Spec clutches.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Can someone provide: (1) the diameter of a Stock CTS-V clutch plate; and (2) the diameter of a C5 Z06 clutch plate?

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
49 Posts
Tony,

Just to be 100% sure, did you purchase the "Cadillac CTS-V Clutch Kit", part # 700-280 from TPiS? Did you have the dealer install it, and if so, what did they charge to do it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
I have about 5K on the UUC and stock PP and flywheel and it seems to be working fine. It took a little while to get used to for me but the combination works for me.

I am just above stock on the power but I am planning to do some power mod's and I realize a new setup will be required. I am still hoping UUC will come out with a clutch but I am concerned that it won't be able to handle to power anyways.

Not sure which is the best way to go and I think I will be going to Spec 3+ in the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts