Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m doing the motor mount and headers install and I’m moving along at the speed of tectonic plates. Every bolt, nut, plug wire, O2 sensor fought me with everything they had. Glad I was wearing gloves too, my hands were only quasi gnarled. It was a good thing I decided to do motor mounts, here's a pic of my stockers...

I finally pass the halfway point of this tedious ordeal and get to the more fun part of putting shiny new parts on. I reassemble the passenger side motor mount, proceed to the drivers side, and as I apply the necessary factory torque setting of 89 lb-in (7.42 lb-ft) the torque wrench never clicks. It just keeps turning and turning. And I’m thinking nothing of it till the mount to lower assembly makes a noise and twists funny...

I mean, I’m no he-man. I don’t work out. I certainly didn’t strain too hard when turning the wrench. I’m an avid reader of this forum so I KNEW not to over torque the damn thing. Maybe my set came from a bad batch. Maybe there was a void between the polyurethane and bolt that didn’t set properly. I don’t know. What I do know is the mod gods are shining down upon me. :lildevil:

So for all those out there that have a set of first gen UUC motor mounts sitting in a box somewhere waiting to be installed, or better yet, installed on your vehicle and don’t plan on immediately making sure you get a set of the redisigns. I’ve made the following label to be placed on the box and/or motor mount:

WARNING: PRODUCT DESIGNED TO WITHSTAND EXTREME FORCES COULD EASILY FAIL UNDER MINSCULE FORCES.

:mad2::crying::banghead::crying2::ripped::bouncer:

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry. It's my first thread and I'm not a post whore either so apparently my picture sharing procedure is wrong. I clicked the insert picture tab and then copied the url from the pics in my album. Where did I go wrong? I feel like the biggest noob EVER now.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,075 Posts
Those were designed for BMWs, so they don't have to be strong. :D

Seriously, I just swapped mine for the UUC's Gen II version. They are bright, lemon yellow, too. Call Luke first thing Monday morning to get the details.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
Sorry. It's my first thread and I'm not a post whore either so apparently my picture sharing procedure is wrong. I clicked the insert picture tab and then copied the url from the pics in my album. Where did I go wrong? I feel like the biggest noob EVER now.

Do you have the pictures on photobucket? If you don't I'd just sign up over there (for free) and upload your pics. Once there up, theres a link just for forums that you can copy and paste to put the pic directly in the text...should have the letters [IMG ] in there. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
Here dude.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Why would you install a first generation UUC mount when Luke is offering free replacements to the upgraded design in the first place?

I'm not ragging on you or anything, but it's public knowledge that the first ones were underbuilt, and judging by your thread title you obviously knew there was a new model out. Even if I'd bought the 1st gen used and couldn't get the free swap, I'd pony up for the good set to avoid doing it twice.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...with some assurance from Luke at Lindsay, I decided to go ahead with the 1st gen install. I was told that the product wouldn't fail as long as you didn't overtorque it. I was specifically told not to use an air gun (that's how the first fails happened) which wasn't a problem since I don't have one. Who would've thought the mounts would fail when torquing in your hand at some force under factory spec? That has not happened yet.

So why couldn't I wait for the new 2nd gen? Because the headers I had been waiting on had just showed up and I didn't want to wait on more parts to get started. Also because I was assured that, if handled properly, the 1st gen mounts would work fine. I used the information from this forum and conversations with Luke to make my decision. As a result my daily driver is stuck on jack stands. Is it my fault?....partly.....then again, I think my particular mount failed too easily. I thought others like me (with 1st gens in hand ) would want to know so they can go ahead and make the exchange. Or maybe even do a complete recall on the part...

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, just called Luke and, as usual, he stepped up to the plate and is overnighting the latest and greatest. THANKS LUKE!

Also thanks to CVS510 for posting the pics I couldn't seem to do in my infinite noobness.

Tony makes a good point and basically the same one I intended when starting this thread: Exchange your 1st gen motor mounts at your earliest convenience. They can even fail at a torque force under the factory spec.

If all goes well I'll have the new MM's installed and HEADERS by EOD Tuesday. Then I can be cool like you guys. :cool2:

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
Just so we are on the same page, mine were the first to fail and I did not use air tools. I even told UUC and Luke that so I don't know how you obtained that info but it is incorrect.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Duly noted. I was told not to use air tools over the phone, so I guess I just assumed that was what happened with the other motor mount fails. Had I known yours failed by hand too I probably wouldn't have tried the install at all. Were you using a torque wrench too?

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
I did not and only used a ratchet and snugged them down. I didnt torque them to spec because the top of the mount was not steel like the factory mounts. I had no problem installing them and they went in fine. My failure happened 3k miles later.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dern it...I should have made it over, sorry! It was a busy weekend for me...
That's cool man. I'd rather you see her all back together anywayz. Besides, you did NOT want to be there when that PoS MM failed. :want: I wasn't the happiest of campers.

Just got the new MM's in the mail. Gotta hand it to Luke. Even though I was stuck over the weekend, technically I was only down without part for one business day. My loyalty stays with Lindsay...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
784 Posts
PM me when you get the new ones, I want to help with that install so I will know how to do my own when the time comes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts