Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be replacing FR & RR pads with performance pads (Hawk), does anyone know of any problems with using the non-OE sensor-equipped brake pads, aside from the dash light coming on?

Is there a way to prevent the brake light from coming on?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Cheap brake pads like those have more of a tendency to cause more bad than good.... The main things they do is squeek and that can get annoying..... THe other thing they can do is not wear fast enough.... Because they dont wear fast enough, this can do damage to your rotors, as you <should> have them turned every time you get the pads replaced.... If the pads last longer, the rotors probably will last shorter.....

That being said, I see no advantage to using those over OEM pads... I wouldnt think they would give you any benefits, stopping distance wise.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't believe I've ever bought an OEM brake pad. Aftermarket is the rule for me. There are noticable differences in pads. The equations are long life = lower stopping power, shorter life = more stopping power, cheap = bad. I am starting to use the ceramic type on my cars with alloy wheels because they don't make the black dust. The downside is about $100 per axle for the parts. They are supposed to have good life but I haven't used them long enough to wear any out. Factory replacements tend to be a middle of the road compromise that works well all around but you could do better if you know what you want out of your brakes.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Aftermarket pads should (heavy emphasis on should) have the slot in the pad material for the wear sensor, so if your sensors are not worn (wire exposed, or open), you can install them. If your DIC is showing the "CHANGE BRAKE PADS" message, then you have one or more worn sensors.

OEM (ACDelco) pad sets include new wear sensors. My parts guy was not able to find a part # for the sensors only.

It is possible to defeat the "CHANGE BRAKE PADS" message with jumper wires at the affected wheel(s).

Jim

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I always use OEM products , however life of the pads are related to driver and traffic conditions...What I mean is that in a crowded traffic you whilly-nilly will have to use brake to highways...However I don't mean that stay away from aftermarket products ,but most of them are poor quality to my experience

·
Registered
166 Posts
JimD said:
...OEM (ACDelco) pad sets include new wear sensors. My parts guy was not able to find a part # for the sensors only.
I have one of the brake sensors at home, alone in it's packaging. When I get home, I'll get you guys the part #. It's $10 online from GMPartsDirect.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
banstyle:

Please post your fiindings.

I also have a spare (front, but I can see no difference front to rear) sensor set with GM Part # 18040234 on the package. Gmpartsdirect.com says "No parts were found...." for that part #.

Did not try the 'alternate catalog' method at gmpartsdirect.com because I have no confidence in the results.

Jim

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Re: Brake Wear Sensor Part Number

banstyle said:
JimD, ask and ye shall receive. :)

Brake Wear Sensor: Part #18026765
GMPartsDirect sells for $11.76 each.
Well done, thank you, glad you kept that package, may you always have a tail wind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Aftermarket pads are like everythig else. If you want good, clean oats, you have to pay a good price. If you don't mind if they have been through the horse first, they come cheaper! (sorry, the Nation Western Stock Show is in town this week) If you are the type to buy parts at Checker, may God have pity on your car. If you go to a good parts store and ask for the good stuff, you'll get it. Lately I've been hearing most people are olny wearing out 2 sets of pads before they need new rotors. They just don't build them with as much extra as they used to.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Usually cheaper pads usually just means they wear out faster. The longer they last the faster the rotors wear out. There's probably a difference in how they stop too but for the driving I do I've never noticed much of a difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts

banstyle said:
JimD, ask and ye shall receive. :)

Brake Wear Sensor: Part #18026765
GMPartsDirect sells for $11.76 each.
I recently changed my front brake pads on a 2000 Seville STS and inadvertently pulled the wire out of one of my brake pad sensors. Now the "Change Brake Pads" message is always present upon startup in my DIC. One end of the sensor clips into a slot on the brake pad. Does the other end just clip into some type of connector? Am I supposed to change out the sensor every time I change the pads? Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
166 Posts

STS_lover said:
...one end of the sensor clips into a slot on the brake pad. Does the other end just clip into some type of connector? Am I supposed to change out the sensor every time I change the pads?
Yes, the brake wear sensor goes from a slot in the brake pad to a connector near the caliper. I'll see if I can scan a good pic for you from the Service Manual.

Now, you have to inspect the sensor to see if it needs replacing - basically, if the pad wore down to an even level with the sensor, than it's pretty good evidence that the sensor's bust. You have to replace it.

But, if there's a little bit more pad thickness and the sensor looks ok, you can reuse it - it's not the one that tripped the computer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Basically from what I have noticed with the brakes on my 99 SLS I use bendix and they always come with a extra sensor per brake pad. You basically but the square connector on the end of the sensor in to the slot on the brake pad then the other end is just 2 wires which you basically can splice in to the old sensors wires. The bendix pads come with the sensors and the butt connectors to splice them. Its very simple. If you run the sensor down to the point that the wire gets cut then your DIC will display the notice as long as that wire in the middle stays connected you are good to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
fcreddog