Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought used CTS 2004 3.2 d.o.h.c. over 100,000 miles smokes leaks oil what is the most common problem?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,924 Posts
Oil leaks are worn seals or gaskets. Blue smoke is worn out piston rings and/or valve stem seals.

100,000 is a high mileage car. Probably run hard and put away wet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought used CTS 2004 3.2 d.o.h.c. over 100,000 miles smokes leaks oil what is the most common problem?
Valve cover gaskets leak oil on the exhaust.
I hear the positive crankcase valve clogs with carbon and over pressurizes the valve case blowing out the gasket.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt
231 Posts
Welcome to 2004 3.2L CTS ownership. Mine leaked oil, a drop every few weeks of coolant, and a little trans fluid (manual trans). I just recently replaced valve cover gaskets again, that stopped most of the oil leak (still have a drop from the oil filter area, haven't been back under it yet). Aside from leaking, my dash cracked, but other than that, car runs great and still looks good. 153k miles. Replaced timing belt at 90k, steering rack had leaked so I replaced it at about 70k (right after I got the car). I would love to drive something different but this car still runs good, doesn't cost much to maintain, and I can't think of something else that I'd rather have. I do all my own wrench turning, so I do have that cost advantage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts