Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those looking for digital music playback, I thought I'd share my experiences...

The XT5 uses a USB thumb drive in the center console storage compartment, and I don't like its location as it would be prone to being broken off as my wife rummages through there. I bought a low-profile USB thumb drive, but it did not work. It was a USB 3.0, and was supposedly backward- compatible, but CUE would not read it. I verified that my music worked because it would read an older, larger USB 2.0 thumb drive I had, but I wanted the low profile version. So, I bought this USB 2.0 version and I verify that it works:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FYNSZA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, to create playlists, used this free tool:

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

It all works very well. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Prem Lux: Bronze Dune Metallic/Cirrus
362 Posts
I use a low profile USB flash drive inside my center console for music playback too.

I tried to insert it in one of the rear seat USB ports and was surprised to learn that it won't read from that location. Unfortunate, because I'm usually the only one in the car, and I would prefer to have both of the center console USB ports available for phones and other things that I need more regular access to.

But, I've had no issues with the CUE reading from a 3.0 flash drive.

This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Flash-Drive-MUF-32BB-AM/dp/B013CCTOC2

·
Registered
XT5 Platinum Crystal White/Maple Sugar
33 Posts
I use a low profile USB flash drive inside my center console for music playback too.

I tried to insert it in one of the rear seat USB ports and was surprised to learn that it won't read from that location. Unfortunate, because I'm usually the only one in the car, and I would prefer to have both of the center console USB ports available for phones and other things that I need more regular access to.

But, I've had no issues with the CUE reading from a 3.0 flash drive.

This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Flash-Drive-MUF-32BB-AM/dp/B013CCTOC2
CUE INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM
Page 20

There are also two
USB ports on the rear seat trim panel.
These rear seat ports are for
charging only.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For those looking for digital music playback, I thought I'd share my experiences...

The XT5 uses a USB thumb drive in the center console storage compartment, and I don't like its location as it would be prone to being broken off as my wife rummages through there. I bought a low-profile USB thumb drive, but it did not work. It was a USB 3.0, and was supposedly backward- compatible, but CUE would not read it. I verified that my music worked because it would read an older, larger USB 2.0 thumb drive I had, but I wanted the low profile version. So, I bought this USB 2.0 version and I verify that it works:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FYNSZA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, to create playlists, used this free tool:

Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)

It all works very well. Enjoy!
So u just plunged it in the USB port and it shows right up on the screen

·
Registered
XT5 Dark Granite
8 Posts
Had a weird experience on songs on my usb...I have about 20 songs on my flash drive. I decided to delete 2 of the songs, but for some reason, even those songs have been removed, they still play. Any idea why?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had a weird experience on songs on my usb...I have about 20 songs on my flash drive. I decided to delete 2 of the songs, but for some reason, even those songs have been removed, they still play. Any idea why?
What kind of flash drive do u have.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,719 Posts
When I delete something from the USB device, it's gone in CUE as well. Maybe confirm on your computer that it is deleted. If it is confirmed deleted...your car is haunted 😁

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
849 Posts
I think it's a quirk with CUE. Have that problem in my SRX. CUE builds an internal list of songs on each USB inserted and uses that (indexing) to locate songs. Only fix I found was to rename the USB stick on your computer so CUE thinks it's new and builds a new index. Try that.

Max

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I think it's a quirk with CUE. Have that problem in my SRX. CUE builds an internal list of songs on each USB inserted and uses that (indexing) to locate songs. Only fix I found was to rename the USB stick on your computer so CUE thinks it's new and builds a new index. Try that.

Max
Yes, Cue indexes the songs, but as soon as the USB is changed, CUE indexes any changes. I don't see how CUE can play a song that is not on the USB. CUE does not store actual MP3 files, it only indexes them into CUE. If the USB is not in the port, CUE has no songs to play. That is why I think the songs mentioned are still on the USB stick.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Windows does not delete files from a drive when deleted, the data is still there until it's overwritten. It simply doesn't have a reference to the file anymore. It's how data can sometimes be restored from a corrupt drive.

If CUE has it's own reference list, then it can find the data still on the drive and play it.

Max

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I don't know Max. I have my doubts about this...CUE is not like Windows...But I'm no computer or CUE engineer.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I mean you delete the item using a Windows-based machine, the Windows item list is updated and shows as deleted but the raw data is still there. CUE has it's own data list (index) and can find the data not seen using a Windows machine.

Max

·
Registered
849 Posts

Discussed in the SRX forum, experienced by others too. Ghost files still play.

Max

1 - 20 of 21 Posts