Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Premium
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 8 g SanDisk memory stick and my CTS won't recognize it through the USB. I then tried my 512 MB Verbatim memory stick and it recognized that one just fine. I read in the manual but it only says that some memory sticks won't be compatible, but not why or which ones . . . any idea what will work?

·
Registered
08 CTS 3.6L DI FE2 RWD NAV, OEM Spoiler, D3 CAI, LOADED
203 Posts
I also bought an 8GB SanDisk Cruzer. The CTS would not recognize it. I even reformatted it on my Mac. Still would not recognize it. It was a complete waste of money.

Bought a Crucial Gizmo and it works wonderfully.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I bought the 4GB Crucial Gizmo (dark colored one). At the time, Crucial had them on special with free shipping. You might want to run it on the usual price check websites like dealtime.com, pricegrabber.com, cheapuncle.com and beatmyprice.com to see who is selling them for the least including postage.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just got the drive out of my CTS and thought I would add that I have 195 songs on it (many are extended remixes) and I have used 890MB with 2.91 GB remaining!

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Platinum, 2018 CT6 Premium Luxury, 2007 DTS Performance, PAST: 2008 CTS Performance
214 Posts
I bought an 8 g SanDisk memory stick and my CTS won't recognize it through the USB.
When you plug the SanDisk into your computer, does a "U3" window pop up? I know some SanDisk products have a technology called U3 which I think might interfere with the CTS accessing the drive.

If the U3 software exists on the flash drive, there are ways to remove it (which might resolve the issue, it's a guess right now as I don't have an 08 CTS to try it out on). The other reason is the flash drive might not be formatted correctly.

·
Registered
CTS '08
215 Posts
When you plug the SanDisk into your computer, does a "U3" window pop up? I know some SanDisk products have a technology called U3 which I think might interfere with the CTS accessing the drive.

If the U3 software exists on the flash drive, there are ways to remove it (which might resolve the issue, it's a guess right now as I don't have an 08 CTS to try it out on). The other reason is the flash drive might not be formatted correctly.
Gram is correct. I had a sandisk drive that I formatted and thought U3 was off, but it was not. You need to do a google search for U3 removal tool and use that on the drive. Then it should work just fine.

M

·
Registered
203 Posts
I wiped, removed the U3 software and reformatted my SanDisk Cruzer. It still did not work in my CTS.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
You can also get the removal tool here.

http://www.u3.com/support/default.aspx

Still did not make a difference for me. My CTS refuses to recognize the SanDisk.
For Mac users there are other issues concerning the SanDisk Cruzer. Many purchasers have posted on Apple's discussion boards, which is probably why Apple used to sell them, but no longer does.

·
Registered
2018 CTS 3.6 Premium Luxury
524 Posts
You can also get the removal tool here.

http://www.u3.com/support/default.aspx

Still did not make a difference for me. My CTS refuses to recognize the SanDisk.
For Mac users there are other issues concerning the SanDisk Cruzer. Many purchasers have posted on Apple's discussion boards, which is probably why Apple used to sell them, but no longer does.
Is the stick formatted as FAT32? NTFS will not work.

·
Premium Member
2016 & 2019 CTS 2.0T Luxury RWD
163 Posts
Is the stick formatted as FAT32? NTFS will not work.
That's true! I have 2 2gb SanDisk Cruzers that work after 1) using the U3 removal tool to fully remove the U3 junk; then 2) formatting the stick to MS-DOS FAT32 - all using a Mac. No problems using either stick in the CTS since completing that process.

-c-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts