Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
DTS Deville 2002
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently bought a 2002 Deville that was imported from the US, I live in the Netherlands.

The car is absolutely stunning and I am very happy with it, tho there are still many things to explore.

There is one issue however that is a bit of a thingie.. US FM radio grid is a 0,2Mhz odd grid, do you guys will recieve stations on e.g. 96,7mhz. or 96.9mhz, not on 96.8mhz. European grid is 0,1Mhz, and in fact we have a gazillion stations running on even frequencies, like 96.8mhz.

This causes terrible degradation of the audio system, because first off the radio does not stop scanning on these frequencies, so they can't be stored, and if there is a station that sidebands to the odd frequency number, it does not recieve RDS data properly, causing the stations call name never to appear in the display :(

Now my hopes are that design was smart and that you can change the FM grid to european with some crazy combination of keys, or, if not that, maybe it can be done with a programming module. Does anybody here have a clue on this?

If it can't be changed, I'll probably swap my radio for an aftermarket one, but since my car has onstar (tho onstar unfortunately does not provide service overseas, all it brings me is a pleasant woman talling me to absolutely stay in the vehicule and help is on its way, hmz, i'm gonna need a lot of sixpacks to end the wait) i have understood that I must add a GMOS-06 harness in order to keep it working and litteraly keep all my bells and whistles. Now when I was googling around i found that amazon also wants me to buy a Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface, as well as a Metra 40-GM10 GM Antenna Adapter and obviously a double dinn dash-kit.

What are your suggestions I should buy in case i cant get the stock radio to work properly? Can i riskfree abandon the onstar system by using a regular masker? and do i need the steering wheel interface?

All your input is very welcome, thanking you heartly in advance!

Greetings from Amsterdam (where a DTS is REALLY a big car!)

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
You can abandon the OnStar - it probably is not upgraded from analog to digital anyway. The rear window stub whip antenna - the analog system had the loading coil (rubber cylinder) in the middle portion of the whip; the digital antenna has the loading coil as the lower 1/3 of the whip. The upgrade involves replacing the transceiver and antenna/base. It's a GM/Cadillac order process only. Probably useless in Europe ????

Yes, to keep the car's steering wheel and DIC (Driver Information Center - dashboard, gauges, chimes) operational you need the various adapters and harnesses. The factory radio is programed with the car's serial number and it is part of the car's serial data bus, Theftlock and security systems. Make a mistake and you have a car that will NOT start.

Go through the Audio, Video, Security forum in here. More info than I know.

I strongly recommend that you invest in a multi-year subscription to www.alldatadiy.com. It's the GM/Cadillac service manuals plus a LOT more.

Welcome to CF !!!!! :highfive:

·
Registered
2005 DeVille DHS
68 Posts
Hey fellow European!

The radio frequency problem can be solved with a Tech 2 scan tool. I don't remember the exact name of the option you need to change, but it's called something like "Sales Region". If you change it from U.S. to Europe, your radio will receive the "even" stations as well. This option also changes your clock from 12-hour mode to 24-hour mode.

A GM dealer should be able to help you, as the Tech 2 is the standard diagnostics tool for almost all GM vehicles.

·
Registered
DTS Deville 2002
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both for the replies, it's great to find some backup, cuz honestly, my biggest fear of buying this car was to not be able to get support, our US cardealers treat second hand car owners quite simular to new buyers and let me tell that service in europe does not equal service in the states by a long shot. So entering the GM dealer instantly upgrades me to a $ 150.000,- car owner (yes this was the newprice in 2002) which means that if they could, they would charge me for wear an tear of their carpets :)

Anywho, i'll try padrivers suggestion first, a friend of a friend has a GM interface on a diagnostic tool, so I am very eager to give that a shot for sure!

As for the onstar, it's absolutely useless here, as said, it's nothing more than a push-button woman voice speaking to you :) Thanks a million for your support, I hope one day i'll know enough of this car to return the favour!!

Happy thanks, and be well!

·
Registered
2005 DeVille DHS
68 Posts
Yes, OnStar is indeed not usable here. But I don't really mind.
As a side note: I am looking for a way to re-program the use of the OnStar steering wheel buttons to HVAC fan control, like the early models without OnStar. So far, I have not found anything. Should be possible though.

For a car like this, having a Tech 2 (or at least access to one) is almost mandatory. You can configure lots of things (including changing the "Driver No. 1" message) and have access to more in-depth data than the built-in code reader. But even that is a nice feature to have as it can already be a big help pointing you in the right direction.

And regarding the dealers here, I hear you loud and clear :)
That's why I try to do everything by myself. And this forum is indeed a great resource with lots of knowledgeable people.

·
Registered
1999 Sedan Deville 50th Anniversary Edition.
24 Posts
I am in the UK and have a 1999 Deville. U.S. Radio's are usually one and a half din so may be worth checking if your replace the unit with an aftermarket single single radio unit. I also am looking at replacing the original unit because even if I can get a UK station it is usually off station and very annoying. The CD player is very good though. Will keep an eye on your post as there appears to be many pitfalls. I'd rather have a car that starts than listen to a radio.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I brought my 2001 DTS to Japan (narrower roads than Amsterdam!) eight years ago, and ended up swapping out my factory GPS/Radio for a Panasonic GPS/Digital TV/Radio unit. If you go this route, my story might give you the courage to proceed.

You should get three pieces of kit to do the job, which will all come from the US. First, you need a Metra plastics kit suitable to your car. In my case, all that could fit my radio pocket was a 1 DIN kit. I bought the Panasonic 1 DIN + 1Din model and put the HDD/GPS half in the top of my glove box where my factory 6-CD changer had lived.

Second, you need the PAC interface harness adapter appropriate to your car. My car has a BOSE amplifier, and I think the GMOS-06 was the module I used. It plugs right into the existing bus connector and needs no programming to work with your car. Your car has pre-amps for the AM/FM antennas, so be sure to connect the module's antenna control wire either to your aftermarket radio's antenna control wire or to the switched 12v wire in the harness.

Third, you need a steering wheel button adapter. I got the PAC SWI-X, which converts my buttons to an IR emitter signal. If your aftermarket radio has a wired remote input, there should be an adapter that interfaces directly with your radio.

Just like you, I have factory OnStar, with its Motorola analog AMPS transceiver. Mine also shows a green "service available" indication all the time. I never did anything to disable the OnStar bits.

@padriver: As to repurposing the Talk/End steering wheel button to Fan Up/Down, there may be hope. My 2001 DTS has the fan buttons and OnStar, so they are not related. The steering wheel buttons on the sides (not the Cruise Control buttons) are all part of a resistor ladder network. When you press a button the BCM reads the resistance and performs the associated action. Thus, if GM engineered the car properly, a Fan Up/Down button and a Talk/End button output two different resistance values. If this is true, you may be able to change the function just by changing the button, as your BCM might be able to recognize the Fan Up/Down resistance value even though it is "unused" in your particular car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts