Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I really need your help. im trying to change some lug nut studs on my 07 cts, and I have just about everything apart but there is one bearing retaining bolt that i cannot get to because of the upper control arm stud is blocking it. I cant get a wrench, socket or anything on it. I have removed the nut on the upper control arm and the stud is still in the way. Can someone point me in the right direction? what can I do to get this stud out of the way so I can get to the last bearing bolt? do i have to take the entire upper control arm out ( god I hope not) as always any and all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
if you are just changing the wheel studs and not the berrings you have to remove the caliper, caliper bracket, rotor, then hammer the studs out of the hub berring, just tap them a little and they will pop out.
when doing this some spots will have room for the stud to slide out the back some will not, this means you have to lift the other back tire and rotate the hub (because when you spin 1 the other will spin because its RWD assuming you are doing the back wheels.)
this will allow you to point the stud you are working on in the spot you want.
insert the new stud and use a lug to pull it into place, you probably will need a spacer to make it pull all the way through, i used a old wrench, the stud will pull right into place.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike all I'm doing is the studs but in the rear if I tap the stud out it hits the backing plate. The backing plate is held in place with the bearing retaining bolts which I'm having one hell of a time getting to. Also the parking brake assembly is in the way so If I tap them out they will be stuck between the bearing and parking brake assembly. Theres no opening on the backing plate to turn the wheels and pop a stud out and replace one.basically In order for me to get the studs out I'll have to pull the bearing out replace the studs and re install the bearing.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am soooooo frustrated right now I cannot believe that you have to damn near disassemble the rear end of this car just to change the real lug studs. This is uterly unbelievable. upper control arm stud in the way, can't even get a socket on the very bottom bolt because of all the crap in the way. I was able to get 1 bolt out in 6hrs of trying. great engineering GM!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
Have you tried to tap 1 of them out?
You shouldn't have to remove the hub. I didn't change it on my caddy I had the shop do it while they did other stuff, but I remember them saying they gad to remove the break and they origonally tried with the rotor still on.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike, yea i have tried tapping them out and they hit the backing plate. I did what you said, jacked the other side of the car up, spinning the wheels to try and find a spot with no luck,it's close but I still need at least another 1/2" to 3/4 of an inch to have the stud fall out and be trapped between the backing plate and the parking brake then i would be able to get to the stud by removing the parking brake. What I haven' done is remove the bearing from the axe( which I need a special tool for) the chilton manual says to do that then remove the bearing retaining bolts. I'm not sure if that's going to be much help because I really need the bearing to go further inward on the axel which would inturn push the bearing retaining bolts more underneath the car allowing me room to get a rachet, impact or something squarely on the two remaining bolts to get them out. What a real PITA THIS HAS BEEN FOR SOMETHING SO SIMPLE!!!

·
Registered
2007 CTS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I figured it out the first one was tough because i followed the chilton maunal instructions. Then after spending all that time removing unnecessary items. i did it my way on the second wheel and got it done in about an hour and a half. im going to do a complete write up tommorrow on what and how to do it. most folks will be pleasantly suprised its acutually pretty easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts