Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's going on? Warning lights said battery charge low, replaced battery, still said battery charge low but eventually charge was fine. But everytime I cranked it up it said that. Finally wouldn't start at all. 3 days later it started and I got it home. Started it again, headed to the gas station, filled it up (while running, I know I know), drove around the pump and it died. Tried to jump (I know again guys) and it wouldn't jump. Towed it home. Replaced voltage regulater pigtail, it was crumbling. Replaced battery again, still won't start. Dome lights come on, PRND lights come on dash, but no other dash lights come on, no radio, driving lights work, key in ignition dings very softly. Read in Chiltons it may be a fuseable link in the wiring harness. Any ideas and if it is a fuseable link where do we start in locating the wiring harness????

OK, the mechanic is saying he did this once the it took 60 mechanic hours to try and figure out and they never did figure it out. 60 hours, they may as well keep the car for that pricing. Someone please help me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, the mechanic is saying he did this once the it took 60 mechanic hours to try and figure out and they never did figure it out. 60 hours, they may as well keep the car for that pricing. Someone please help me.

·
Super Moderator
86,076 Posts
Look closely at the battery cable for corrsion. Not only at the connections but under the insulation as well. Sometimes corrsion will work its way under there and cause all sorts of problems. Also check the grounds.

BTW, Chiltons & Haynes are rather useless for this type of trouble shooting. You need a FSM (factory service manual) from Helm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Passed on your recommendations and he said they've already tried all that. They're thinking I'm going to have to take it to the dealer, cha ching, there goes my pay check.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Well, in a pinch when all else fails its worht paying a couple hundred bucks to the dealer if they can tell you exactly whats wrong. Maybe you can DIY, maybe better off writing it off.....at least its an option though.

hang on a few days, lets see if anyone else chimes in here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you checked to see if the alternator is putting out? Maybee its not charging and the car was running off the battery untill it didnt have enough power to run the ignition anymore.
Robbie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
sonnycrack