Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. Anyone who has done a stock suspension upgrade, from 2005 1SB (non sport package) to PDX.

Thoughts. How much did it cost, was it worth it. On a rating of 1-7 how worthy was the upgrade compared to cost (Assuming it put you back a few $$'s, i'm on a tight budget)

Any harshness to the ride, and what size rims with the sport package.

I'm thinking of doing this upgrade, or possibly just going straight with the CTS-V Suspension system, weighing my options and cost/benefit of the upgrade.

Has anyone done CTS->CTS-V suspension systems? I don't think anyone has yet....if you have, thoughts, reviews?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a base and a PDX. I put 10k miles on the base and 3k on the PDX that I got now. I drive hard through corners most of the time and bomb the mountains around here so I can testify to handling differences. Although I think most of the discrepancies were from the other features in the sport package as a whole other than the suspension; LSD, speed sensitive steering, 17" rims, brakes, larger rear sway, etc. For the first couple hundred miles the ride will feel a bit bumpy but that's after 10k miles in the base suspension. That feeling died out real quick and now I just want the next level. Overall though, you'll feel more sturdy and glued to the ground, with steering noticeably tighter. Understeer was a big issue with my base model but the PDX just slides its rear end and feels more balanced overall. As to ride harshness, it's not bad at all, it's still got Cadillac comfort. It's a bit bumpier over sketchy roads but my passengers actually like it better, I've gotten no complaints. I would say it could be alot better if you oust the stock Eagle RS-A's for some better tires like Nitto's or Potenza's. All in all, I would say it's more worth your hard earned greenbacks to consider your other options; I just feel you could get more for your money elsewhere. Eibach Pro-Kit with sways maybe. I can't testify to the CTS-V suspension, I was thinking about it at one point though. I think someone has done it? Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
I have the sport suspension and I upgraded to 18" wheels. I would suggest upgrading to the V sway bars as my CTS leans in the corners a tad to much.

Odysseus added the V sway bars to his CTS and enjoys the improvement. I don't want to add the V shocks as I want to maintain my Cadillac ride. My 245x45x18" tires added some harshness to the ride with it's shorter sidewalls.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
I upgraded to V-shocks about a year ago. They are much stiffer than any base CTS shock. My service guy said that my CTS rides rougher than any Cadillac he's driven. If you want a sporty ride then go with the V. If you want to a balance of performance and comfort, go with the PDX.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, I don't want to loose the cadillac comfort as much as i'd like the unbelivable firmness of the CTS-V suspension system.

I'll probably take your advice robert and go with 18" with summer performance tires come springtime, and if I'm so inclined sway bars. Pehaps I don't need to go with new shocks. If the improvment is enough i'll just stay there with the wheels/tires and sways.

Thanks for all your input! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
I think Robert mentioned Ody has the V sway bars, and he also has eibach springs and V shocks. I've been watching ebay for these parts and picked up a set of v shocks pretty cheap that way, and got a heck of a deal on eibach springs from a forum member (thanks krank!!!) Eventually I'll get around to installing these, and hopefully a set of eibach sways as well. I know the ride will be harsher but I think for me the improved handling will be worth it and the ride will be something I'll get used to. Heck moving from my last car to the cts the ride felt harsh for a while, but now it feels way too cushy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts