Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1996 STS
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to upgrade the head unit and i know it will require a serious adapter as the shape of the double din stock unit is unique.

Any Suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks
SLS LUV

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
SLS LUV said:
I want to upgrade the head unit and i know it will require a serious adapter as the shape of the double din stock unit is unique.

Thanks
SLS LUV
Easy go to wal*mart, target type store or a stereo store and get the adaptor to fit and aftermarket head unit Depends on price i normally see them for 30.

I moved your post into this section for more people to see it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
SLS LUV said:

Thanks
SLS LUV
Is it a Bose system? If so, I just changed out my entire bose system (changed out the speakers, head unit, amp install, cd changer, xm). If it's bose, I might be able to give you some things to look for.

·
Registered
1996 STS
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
beemer2k said:
Is it a Bose system? If so, I just changed out my entire bose system (changed out the speakers, head unit, amp install, cd changer, xm). If it's bose, I might be able to give you some things to look for.
Hey Beemer
No its not a Bose, but do think it would be a better idea to find a Bose and work from there, or have a dash kit designed and go to all that trouble?
I would like to keep the dash looking stock, you know keep the occasional "looking for a stereo, and i think ill take yours" guys from getting any ideas.
Get back to me if possible
Thanks
SLS

·
Registered
253 Posts
SLS LUV said:
Hey Beemer
No its not a Bose, but do think it would be a better idea to find a Bose and work from there, or have a dash kit designed and go to all that trouble?
I would like to keep the dash looking stock, you know keep the occasional "looking for a stereo, and i think ill take yours" guys from getting any ideas.
Get back to me if possible
Thanks
SLS
Wazzup! An interesting dilemma. You're not going to be able to just install a bose head unit. It won't work with the factory electronics. You would have to take it to the dealership and ask them to install a bose system - and they might tell you to go fly a kite (or something along that line). It's a wiring nightmare. Even if you could get them to do it, parts and labor would probably be somewhere around $2500 alone (They want $900 just for the head unit!). And I doubt they would install anything you didn't buy from them (if you're getting ebay ideas). You don't want bose anyway - sucky bass response. They should stick to home audio. I would get the 96-99 deville dash kit and get a black head unit so that it blends better with the factory look. Worried about people stealing it? Get a detachable face plate. Nobody steals radios anymore anyway. No money in it. All the decent ones have some type of theft deterrent system built in. Thieves steal cars and chop em... and you ain't got one of those cars. If by some stretch they do steal it, you're insured.

·
Registered
1996 STS
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
beemer2k said:
Wazzup! An interesting dilemma. You're not going to be able to just install a bose head unit. It won't work with the factory electronics. You would have to take it to the dealership and ask them to install a bose system - and they might tell you to go fly a kite (or something along that line). It's a wiring nightmare. Even if you could get them to do it, parts and labor would probably be somewhere around $2500 alone (They want $900 just for the head unit!). And I doubt they would install anything you didn't buy from them (if you're getting ebay ideas). You don't want bose anyway - sucky bass response. They should stick to home audio. I would get the 96-99 deville dash kit and get a black head unit so that it blends better with the factory look. Worried about people stealing it? Get a detachable face plate. Nobody steals radios anymore anyway. No money in it. All the decent ones have some type of theft deterrent system built in. Thieves steal cars and chop em... and you ain't got one of those cars. If by some stretch they do steal it, you're insured.
Beemer
Rite on. I didnt think that Bose was any good and for dealership interaction, i try and stay far away from them as possible. I was looking at the deville dash kit on internet but it doesnt quite look likeit has the rite curvature. I am going to try any way, with after market that is. Alpine has always been the best for decks and i got a few other goodies from my last sled.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply
Happy Trails
SLS LUV:cool:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I used the American International GM-K260 dash kit. Just do a google search for it. Easy to find. This kit fit perfectly, so long as you put the storage pocket on the top. The plastic on the kit is a little more textured than the plastic on the dash, but it still looks pretty doggone stock. To get any closer, you'd have to sand the surface of the kit down and paint it (pray you get the right shade of black) - and to be honest, once you see how well the kit looks with the rest of the dash, I think you'll decide that it's too much work for so small a reward. Good luck bro.

·
Registered
1996 STS
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Beemer
Thanks again. I checked it out and i think i found exactly what im looking for. I souldnt have a problem finding a harness. (i hope) I will have installation done for me as i have the gift of vision, but not the gift of application. I would install and the car would probably go in reverse when i put it in drive!!LOL.
Anyway, THANKS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts