Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

Did any of you have the optional upgraded transmission cooler? Is it worth it? I heard horrible stories about how an overheated ATS fluid could shorten the life of the ATS (on other makes, not the caddy). Plus it hot where I live. So I defintely would want one, just wonder if the upgrade is necessary. :hmm:

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX
1,160 Posts
ywrotk2006 said:
Hi:

Did any of you have the optional upgraded transmission cooler? Is it worth it? I heard horrible stories about how an overheated ATS fluid could shorten the life of the ATS (on other makes, not the caddy). Plus it hot where I live. So I defintely would want one, just wonder if the upgrade is necessary. :hmm:

Thanks for any input.

Hi! Yes, heat is the enemy of auto. transmissions! I think the trans - cooler option is only with a towing package (not sure, doesn't matter) but if in a hot climate for many months, a definate good investment! Make sure the trailer package doesn't come with something else you DON"T want! The 5-speed auto in our cars (SRX) is built in a dust-free room by people with Anti-plague looking type clothing on! I don't think there is a dip stick to check trans. fliud! The cars computer DOES monitor for trans. temperature and change interval.....so some basic protection is standard! Just pull over if HIGH TEMP shows on your screen! (quickly!) :thumbsup: Best of luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Smokin'SRX. Where did you get such detailed info? It's ultra-assuring to know the SRX ATX is built in a clean-room. Oh, that clothing, we called it the bunny-suit in semi-conductor industry. No sip stick! I guess that means I have to visit the dealership every time to get the ATX fluid changed. And I'll prey everyday that the microprocessor is ultra-reliable, better not be a Windows-based OS. ;)

·
Registered
2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX
1,160 Posts
:thumbsup: Hi!
Don't worry too much! i have 5305 miles on my AWD V-8 and trans. service monitor says I'm at 94% use! Extrapolating roughly, It should hit 20% trans. life remaining at about 80,000miles! No changes till then. so relax.
I saw pix at the dealer on the trans. on a sales board extolling the attributes of the new 5-speed trans!. Was told that no-dip stick equalls no contamination! makes some sense. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts