Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2003 SLS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Cadillac Seville and the low beam headlight output was terrible so I replaced the bulbs with the "best" replacement bulbs offered at the auto parts store. After I put them in the light output improved a little bit, but not a whole lot. What options are there for upgrades to these headlights? By the way, my high beams are great. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,995 Posts
Welcome to CF !!! STS or SLS ?

I use the PIAA Intense White 4100 bulbs, live semi-rural (edge of extensive farm country) and have no headlamp complaints doing the twisties in the dark.

There's so much scattered backlighting in a city environment that just about anything short of searchlights looks dim in town.

Polish the headlamps with a kit from 3M, Mother's, Meguiar, or Custom Chemical Packaging.

car hl 1.JPG

·
2003 SLS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Polish the headlamps with a kit from 3m, Mother's, Meguiar, or Custom Chemical Packaging.
I didn't think that polishing the headlight lens would make much of a difference. I purchased the meguiar's heavy duty headlight restoration kit a few days after this thread started, but I didn't get around to using it until yesterday. Wow! It made a huge difference. My lights are not like the ultra-bright LEDs they put on newer cars, but I am back to being able to see the road well again. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The polishing makes a huge difference. You could also do the HID conversion which is not that hard (even I could do it) and love the results. I went with a kit from HIDExtra and it has been great but if I could do it over I would go with the higher intensity option the have. Their site is down right now so I can't paste the link to the kit. Pretty sure I went with 4100k light which looks great. As someone said on the forum the optics in the headlamp assembly are set up for the HID conversion!

·
Administrator
67,995 Posts
A set of PIAA Intense White 4100 bulbs is more reliable and less expensive (but NOT cheap) than a GOOD HID conversion. You need two 9005 high beams and two 9006 low beams. Replace all the bulbs while the assembly is out. Look at the picture for more work ........If you need the schematic for the 2000 - 2004 Seville headlamp/rear lighting I have those too.

camman, when/if you change bulbs (and it will make a big, better difference) you remove the two long bolts on the inner end of the light assembly, move it out a couple of inches and work the outer end ball stud socket out of the fender fitting. It can be tricky and sticky from age, so be careful and don't break off the ball stud. When you replace the assembly use a bit of anti-seize on the ball stud and bolt threads. Don't turn the little Torx screws - that's headlight alignment.

Taillight bulbs 2.JPG

·
Registered
'85 Sedan de Ville, '10 CTS-V
549 Posts
Is this the same model? Alas, I think the bulbs are different and so no. But these guys know their upgrades, so I thought I should chime in.

One word of warning, PIAA is a no-no over there, as well as LED or HID conversions, not because they just don’t like them, but seems they do not perform as well as advertised.

·
Administrator
67,995 Posts
??? Curious - the 3 cars discussed in this thread are all the same series of Seville - with the same headlamp assemblies. Some vehicles have chronic lighting problems, most don't. Here in CF there are a couple of newer model Cadillacs that have lousy headlamps (according to their owners).

The 1991 Seville under discussion in your link has headlamps that bear no resemblance to what we're working on here.

·
Registered
'85 Sedan de Ville, '10 CTS-V
549 Posts
??? Curious - the 3 cars discussed in this thread are all the same series of Seville - with the same headlamp assemblies. Some vehicles have chronic lighting problems, most don't. Here in CF there are a couple of newer model Cadillacs that have lousy headlamps (according to their owners).

The 1991 Seville under discussion in your link has headlamps that bear no resemblance to what we're working on here.

Yes, it isn’t the same car nor lighting. I referenced the thread because for some reason moderator Virgil seems to know everything about automotive lighting, and was hoping him and Alaric would be helpful to the OP, or anyone else by that matter with lighting upgrade questions. How he knows details from 1991, I do not know, but he does....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts