Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get some input from you guys regarding the factory fans. We've been asked a few times about upgraded dual fans for the 04-07 CTS-V. I'm curious what you guys think in terms of this upgrade? I think most of us will agree that the V runs to the hot side and is designed that way from the factory. I think the first fan turns on at something like 215*?

There's not a lot of room but we should be able to get some better fans in there. I've attached a picture of a dual fan kit we already offer for another vehicle. We use Spal fans, everything is plug and play, shroud is aluminum, and we have it powder coated in black as well as others.

Thoughts and opinions on this or do you think it's a waste of time? Thanks for your input.

Peter

Attachments

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Any idea on the approximate cost? Seems like a great option if you're considering upgrading or replacing your present radiator. The biggest hurdle is (as always) going to be interference between your products and aftermarket blowers and intake tubing.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I have an aftermarket radiator and a tune that triggers the fans at a lower temperature so I don't have a temperature issue.

I might be interested anyway because I have a clearance issue. Specifically, the stock fan shroud allows the radiator hose to encroach on the fan space and I cut up one hose before I clearanced the passenger-side fan. So my question would be - is the upgraded fan unit any "thinner" than stock. I like the look of the fan shroud as it looks like it would serve to prevent my potential radiator-hose encroachment problem.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ
578 Posts
I don't have issues with my heat mainly from a lower T-stat and lower turn on temperatures via HP tuners. That said I would be interested in a new fan setup, especially if you could package it with your radiator. My biggest concern like Fuzzy and Darkman is clearance, currently trying to figure out how to get a 4" intake tube to fit with my factory setup.

·
Registered
2006 Cts-V
162 Posts
HAMSTAR said:
What would be really awesome is a rad setup that allows clearance for an over the radiator air intake from the front grille. That would sell to everyone, not just people looking for a more durable radiator.
^^Thats right...

·
Registered
05 CTS V
600 Posts
i run a 4 inch intake tube and 102mm MAF with aftermarkter radiator. I would also upgrade fans, if available.

·
Registered
04 V
169 Posts
As people have mentioned already the stock fans do a good job keeping things cool once you change the thermo and adjust the turn on times. The biggest advantage would be the gain of space.
You are in NorCal aren't you ?

·
Registered
2005 Raven Black CTS-V
979 Posts
I concur that a thinner design than the oem would be awesome. With your radiator and my supercharger things are getting very tight under the hood.

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero
1,646 Posts
In for more clearance. I have the RD radiator.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The biggest cost factor would be the fans. What diameter are the stock fans and how thick is the shroud/fan currently? We sell the black shroud/fans pictured above for $379, just as an example.

A radiator with over the top clearance for intake is not out of the question although we would need to do some kind of of pre-sale group buy for them. Thanks everyone for the input so far.

Peter

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
731 Posts
That would be a total game-changer if we could eliminate the bend. This would really open things up for NA guys.

I don't know shit about turbos, but could it even open up room for a turbo to be mounted in the space freed up by the airbox?

The biggest cost factor would be the fans. What diameter are the stock fans and how thick is the shroud/fan currently? We sell the black shroud/fans pictured above for $379, just as an example.

A radiator with over the top clearance for intake is not out of the question although we would need to do some kind of of pre-sale group buy for them. Thanks everyone for the input so far.

Peter

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
731 Posts

Peter
Peter, do you have ball-park estimate for what a rad with over-the-top clearance would cost? Also, do you think you could also provide the other hardware necessary to run an intake pipe over there? For example, pipe, clamps, filter, baffle, wiring extension for MAF, etc. Let me know if you want to start a separate thread about this.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We might need to split this off into two threads later on but I don't mind the discussion at all. Seems there is some interest in the fans so someone please get me the measurements I need.

As far as the radiator being designed for over the top clearance. See the attached pic. That's an Alradco radiator in a CTSV. I'm not seeing much room for an over the top intake.

To answer the other question, yes we can provide pipe, clamps, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Peter, do you have ball-park estimate for what a rad with over-the-top clearance would cost?
Sorry I missed this one. It's hard to say. The initial build quantity as well as down the road volume dictate that more than anything else. I will tell you this. I'm a car guy myself and I've had to pay the "Corvette tax" as well as paying the price for mods for having cars like that. I hated feeling like I was getting gouged. I'm not interested in selling $700+ radiators, that's why our CTS-V radiators are around $400, pretty close to the stock plastic stocker, and much cheaper than anything comparable. If there is enough demand and the design works, cost could be right along the lines of what we're already doing.

Hope that helps.

Peter

·
Registered
2005 Raven Black CTS-V
979 Posts
Can you tell me what measurements you need exactly?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
731 Posts
It would have to be smaller or with a U taken out if the top. They did something like that for the CTS-VR

IMG_1731.jpg

We might need to split this off into two threads later on but I don't mind the discussion at all. Seems there is some interest in the fans so someone please get me the measurements I need.

As far as the radiator being designed for over the top clearance. See the attached pic. That's an Alradco radiator in a CTSV. I'm not seeing much room for an over the top intake.

To answer the other question, yes we can provide pipe, clamps, etc.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts