Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS Coupe
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2012 Coupe. It is the base model, but it fits my needs except I would really like to have the factory remote start. I have seen kits on the internet direct from GM and installed by GM, but when I enter my car as a coupe they disappear. Found for sedan and wagon, but not coupe. Car is CTS 4 Coupe A/T and leather, but no heated seats. Thoughts on if these kits will fit?

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
Not an expert on anything, but I'm sure the one showing for a 2012 Sedan or Wagon will work on your Coupe. GM would not go to the cost of developing different systems for all the versions of each model.

I'm sure others will say whether I'm right or wrong.

Marv

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Welcome to the coupe club! If you go to gmpartsdirect.com and look up your coupe, the site lists transmitters (fobs 1 & 2) and a receiver for remote start non-equipped coupes. Go to electrical, then ignition, then remote start.

·
Registered
2012 CTS Coupe
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both! I agree that I cannot imagine GM going to the trouble, but the sedan and wagon are two different part numbers. Go figure.

·
Registered
2012 CTS Coupe
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems my initial concerns appear accurate. The part numbers for the retrofit kit are indeed specific to the sedan and wagon. No upgrade (factory anyway) option exists for the Coupe. I had my VIN checked by the suppler and my car cannot be upgraded. I also contacted my dealer who told me the coupe cannot be upgraded.
Guess its off to the aftermarket!

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
It must have something to do with wiring harnesses. The coupe doors do have different door switches than the sedans and wagons. It still seems odd that the wagons and sedans would be different part numbers, again must be harnesses due to the rear lift gate???

Good luck, Marv

·
Registered
Previous:2005 Cadillac XLR; Current:2014 Cadillac CTS Coupe
299 Posts
Just goes to show how overly complicated GM makes these cars. For something that should just affect the engine and ignition, which you would think are identical, there are separate kits and no options depending on model. I had a 2005 Cadillac XLR, and you could not replace the radio because some of the commands to the engine and body computer indicators went through the wiring of the radio, go figure. I read somewhere that manufacturers are doing thing intentionally to discourage DIY repair to avoid potential insurance liabilities. Have we stumbled upon the latest Conspiracy theory? Maybe so... (please insert music clip for Twilight Zone) :)

·
Registered
2012 CTS AWD 3.0, 2013 C6 GS
6 Posts
I was told by my dealer (take with a grain of salt), that for some reason 2012 and after you need to have the heated seats, (even with a sedan or wagon) to be able to retrofit the remote start. I would assume the harness is different on a non-heated seat car, based on what info the dealer gave me.

p.s. same guy tried to sell me an aftermarket Nav/radio and said they installed one the week before. Seeing as there are no aftermarket dash kits to install a double din aftermarket stereo, I don't trust his knowledge very much.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2019 CT6 Sport 3.0TT,2015 Luxury ATS , 2016 ELR, and Volt
2,380 Posts
I was told by my dealer (take with a grain of salt), that for some reason 2012 and after you need to have the heated seats, (even with a sedan or wagon) to be able to retrofit the remote start. I would assume the harness is different on a non-heated seat car, based on what info the dealer gave me.

p.s. same guy tried to sell me an aftermarket Nav/radio and said they installed one the week before. Seeing as there are no aftermarket dash kits to install a double din aftermarket stereo, I don't trust his knowledge very much.
You need heated seats on the 2011 as well. The kit includes a receiver, fobs and a hood latch with a switch in it. It also requires reprogramming by the dealer after you install it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts