Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious how GM will provide map updates beginning in 2015. My new ATS does not have the CD player and there is no DVD player and beginning in 2016 there will no longer be an SD slot. Unless the updates come on a memory stick I can't figure out how they will load into the cars memory.Has anyone heard anything on this subject?

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts
When you buy the update $159.99 + 3.95 S/H + Sales Tax. You enter your VIN and they will send you a USB stick to load the updates. Shipping is free through June 30, 2015. There are no updates for the 2015 ATS available at this time, just the MY13 and 14 which is the same update. GM - Next Generation Infotainment System Map Update - V.2015 Part number 23496379

http://gmnavdisc.navigation.com/home/en_US/GMNA/USD?ProgramUUID=iBcKCghBk2IAAAE_Kwc_44bM&utm_campaign=Navcom-Referral&utm_medium=article&utm_source=GM-NAVCOM&awc=6031_1433605630_25af55293b5824db647c72dd5a39b105&acq_channel=aw

·
Registered
'15 ATS 3.6 Coupe Premium AWD Black Diamond Tricoat
42 Posts
I don't get why that when you buy their premium car brand that the maps aren't kept up to date for free during the warranty period. It should be like the service plan.

·
Registered
2019 XT4, 2014 ATS 2.0 luxury
194 Posts
Never had a car with a "Nav"-system. In fact prepaying for 4 years of "turn-by-turn" seems like the best deal for me because in brings the average monthly cost below what you would paying for onstar only if they were deducting the 19.95 from your checking acct each month.

Besides drove a loaner 2013 ATS with "Nav" which I assume was the first edition of the map in the ATS and it didn't even have my development in it and and my development was over 6 years old at the time. So I question how accurate even the new update could really be?

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
Never had a car with a "Nav"-system. In fact prepaying for 4 years of "turn-by-turn" seems like the best deal for me because in brings the average monthly cost below what you would paying for onstar only if they were deducting the 19.95 from your checking acct each month.
And a smartphone will do that for free and some phones nearly hands free in many situations. And the phone does a better job when listening to music then the factory nav does. The factory nav mutes the music to give directions while the phone pauses it (if the source is pausable).

Besides drove a loaner 2013 ATS with "Nav" which I assume was the first edition of the map in the ATS and it didn't even have my development in it and and my development was over 6 years old at the time. So I question how accurate even the new update could really be?
I agree my maps were very out of date at delivery which was the day it arrived at the dealer.

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
None of this would matter if Cadillac would support apple carplay and Android auto. I have never used the nav in my ATS because it is outdate, clunky to use, and traffic data is not reliable. I ran a lightning cable up the a pillar to the headliner, and mount my phone in the top left corner with a phone holder.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0 Luxury
202 Posts
When you buy the update $159.99 + 3.95 S/H + Sales Tax. You enter your VIN and they will send you a USB stick to load the updates. Shipping is free through June 30, 2015. There are no updates for the 2015 ATS available at this time, just the MY13 and 14 which is the same update.
I thought map and CUE updates were supposed to be free from GM? That being said I've yet to see anything for my 2014 ATS. Now we have to pay for them?

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
map updates have never been free...it's because the GIS (Geographic Information Systems) companies (tomtom, garmin, nokia, telenav) charge a very hefty fee for this data. It is for this reason that Google creating their own dataset and essentially giving it away (so they can track us and advertise) was so revolutionary, especially considering that a virtually free product has become the defacto gold standard.

a disadvantage phone based nav has is that it's connection dependent (both cellular and GPS signal, unless you took the time to pre-cache an area) and as such can fail in tunnels, urban canyons (tall buildings) and areas where mobile connectivity is questionable....these don't affect cars because they can then resort to dead reckoning as backup using the cars compass and odometer in these situations until the car re-establishes the GPS link

as previously mentioned, a disadvantage to car nav is the static nature of the data set stored and it becoming more out of date as time passes

I use both so have no worries

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
I thought map and CUE updates were supposed to be free from GM? That being said I've yet to see anything for my 2014 ATS. Now we have to pay for them?
A salesman told me the map updates were done over the air and free for 48 months. I didn't believe him for a second. Clearly automakers believe that anyone who will pay ~$800 for maps and directions that are free on a smartphone will pay hundreds for updates that are also free on a smartphone; therefore said automakers would never consider giving map updates away.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0 Luxury
202 Posts
A salesman told me the map updates were done over the air and free for 48 months. I didn't believe him for a second. Clearly automakers believe that anyone who will pay ~$800 for maps and directions that are free on a smartphone will pay hundreds for updates that are also free on a smartphone; therefore said automakers would never consider giving map updates away.
That's what I was told as well. So we have to PAY to have CUE and our maps updated? Bit of a let down. Recently had a 2015 loaner vehicle and was blown away how much better CUE was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts