Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all.

Just thought I would give a quick update on the new Yokohama ADVAN S4 tires.
I now have about 4000 miles on them.

I LOVE 'EM.. :)

They are "V" rated with Traction "AA" and Temp "A"

Remember that they are the low profile 245x50x18 inch tires.
There is not much sidewall to absorb bumps and road imperfections.

BUT...Compared to the Bridge "STONES" that I had... they are smooth as silk and very, very quite.
The 'STONES were very noisy and very rough riding.
As y'all know... I have complained about them for 4 years. :) :)

If I had known how big of a difference there was... I would have done this a "LONG, LONG" time ago.

I just took a trip from Ft Worth to NE Texas... then up thru OK, Kansas, Nebraska and turned left in Nebraska and went to Cheyenne Wyoming.
From Cheyenne went S to Ft. Collins CO and had the tires rebalanced.

They had developed a pretty bad vibration at speeds over 85.
The guy in Ft Collins moved the right front to the right rear, because he said he couldn't balance it right.

I was unhappy with "THAT" diagnosis...as you might well imagine.
But the vibration was reduced by probably 95 percent.

From Ft Collins we went west thru the mountains and then S thru the mountains all the way to Northern New Mexico...then across the top on NM for a while, then angled down to Los Vegas NM and from there...back home to Ft. Worth.

Finally... yesterday I had time to take it back to my local Discount Tire dealer.
They road forced balanced all four tires. :)

Readings were 6, 8, 9 and 16.

Then I took it for a drive around the freeways at speeds between 65 and 90.
"NOW" they are smooth...just like they should be. :yupi3ti:

They also handle pretty good on crooked mountain roads.
Not quite as good as the "STONES" ... but very good, none the less.
They do have a small amount of sidewall rollover if you are pushing them hard...but after a certain point... the sidewall rollover just "STOPS"... they are then "VERY FIRM" (no give to 'em) and grip like crazy.
Modern engineering and technology is wonderful. :)

I really, really like them...so far.

We will see if they are still this good after another 10,000 miles.
I plan on 2 or 3 more trips between now and fall...one to the East Coast...so it won't take long to put a lot of miles on them.

This is probably longer than most people want to read...
Sorry about that...:)
Anybody have questions...feel free to ask

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
When you bought them, didn't the dealer road force balance them?
What changed only 4K miles later?

Glad that all is well, but concerned that something changed.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you bought them, didn't the dealer road force balance them?
What changed only 4K miles later?

Glad that all is well, but concerned that something changed.

They were "NOT" road force balanced when I bought them...just plain old spin balancing.
Yeah... I know I should have did the road force...but somehow, I forgot to.

The place in Ft. Collins, CO did not have a road force machine.

It had a slight vibration from the start...it got a little worse as I put more miles on the tires...especially over 80/85 mph.

I just got back from a little 120 mile trip this morning...out in some open country... :) :)
Some of the road has been recently resurfaced with asphalt and is real smooth.
I ran it between 85 and 100 for three of four miles.
It is now smooth as silk and it is very quite inside the car.
It is so much better than it was with the Bridge "STONES" on it.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
good to hear that all is well..
Yeah I have the Road Force Balancing done when I buy my tires. They do it at the factory of course, but some places just won't buy the Hunter.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good to hear that all is well..
Yeah I have the Road Force Balancing done when I buy my tires. They do it at the factory of course, but some places just won't buy the Hunter.
My local store just recently got the new Road Force machine. :)

·
Registered
2006 DTS Performance
269 Posts
Jim

Glad to hear that the new tires worked out for you. It is good when something goes right. What cold pressure are you running in them? I was running 35 in my Stones and figure that had something to do with the pothole damage I posted earlier. I am currently running 30 (as per door sticker) in my new Michelins. Because of this and more tread I do notice that it is a smoother ride. My Stones were very quiet but after reading posts here regarding Stones I went with Michelins and have been very happy with them. It feels as though I have more control. Interesting side note, they actually use sun flower oil in the manufacturing compound mixture – go figure.

And, welcome back from what sounds like an exciting trip. I love Colorado, but am stuck on the east coast. Watch your speed on I-95 in Maryland if your east coast trip takes you there. It is heavily policed, but traffic will hold you back most of the time anyway.

frog

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim

Glad to hear that the new tires worked out for you. It is good when something goes right. What cold pressure are you running in them? I was running 35 in my Stones and figure that had something to do with the pothole damage I posted earlier. I am currently running 30 (as per door sticker) in my new Michelins. Because of this and more tread I do notice that it is a smoother ride. My Stones were very quiet but after reading posts here regarding Stones I went with Michelins and have been very happy with them. It feels as though I have more control. Interesting side note, they actually use sun flower oil in the manufacturing compound mixture – go figure.

And, welcome back from what sounds like an exciting trip. I love Colorado, but am stuck on the east coast. Watch your speed on I-95 in Maryland if your east coast trip takes you there. It is heavily policed, but traffic will hold you back most of the time anyway.

frog

Tanks for the welcome back...:cool2:
You are one of the very few people that say that the Bridgestone tires were quiet.

Mine were about the loudest/noisest set of tires that I have ever owned on an automobile.
Both my first 2006 DTS and this one...were very noisy.
After almost 125,000 total miles on both cars... it is finally quiet and smooth like a Cadillac should be.. :cloud9:

As for pressure... on the 'stones...I always ran 35 in the front and 32 in the rear.

Right now the new ones have 35 in the front and 33 in the rear.
I will experiment with the new ones over the next few weeks to see what pressure gives me the best combination of ride and handling.
GOOD HANDLING is important to me and I will sacrifice a little bit of ride comfort for it.

Jim

·
Registered
2006 DTS Performance
269 Posts
You are one of the very few people that say that the Bridgestone tires were quiet.

Jim
I know, that is why I did not go with Stones this time around. If I had not seen the negative posts on Stones here, maybe I would have gone Stones again.

I always ran mine at 35 front and rear just to get that firmer ride and feeling of more control and to get away from the typical caddy mushy ride. I will probably stay at 30 with the Michelins for awhile and then go up to 32.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
922 Posts
Glad to hear it Jim.

I wish these tires were available when I replaced the Bridgestones. I lasted all of 2 months with them. Unfortunately at the time the only all-season tires available in our size were the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 or a couple of other Turanza models. Several acquaintances had the other Turanzas on their LS460s and had similar complaints. So I went with the Michelins, and they've been vastly superior to the Bridgestones in every way save road noise. Granted any tire is quieter than the Bridgestones but these Michelins really aren't much better.

At least the Michelins returned my "Cadillac Ride"!

I could write a small volume on my trials/tribulations with the Bridgestones before I finally replaced them.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to hear it Jim.

I wish these tires were available when I replaced the Bridgestones. I lasted all of 2 months with them. Unfortunately at the time the only all-season tires available in our size were the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 or a couple of other Turanza models. Several acquaintances had the other Turanzas on their LS460s and had similar complaints. So I went with the Michelins, and they've been vastly superior to the Bridgestones in every way save road noise. Granted any tire is quieter than the Bridgestones but these Michelins really aren't much better.

At least the Michelins returned my "Cadillac Ride"!

I could write a small volume on my trials/tribulations with the Bridgestones before I finally replaced them.

I hear you. :)
If I add my volume to yours, we could have a pretty good sized book.. :stirpot:

I have cussed mine for FOUR AND A HALF YEARS. :)
I started to replace them with Michelin's ... but some or the reports I read said that the Michelin's were also noisy.
One thing that I REALLY wanted was a quiet tire... I was sick of the noise.

I am not sure, but I don't think that this tire has been out very long.

I now wish I had bit the bullet and replaced them long ago...

I drove it about 250 miles yesterday and the quietness in the car is amazing.
The radio don't do the automatic louder thing till about 80.
It used to turn itself up at around 30 or so. :cloud9:

·
Registered
2006 DTS Performance
269 Posts
Unfortunately at the time the only all-season tires available in our size were the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 or a couple of other Turanza models.

The Michelin Primacy is an upgrade to the Pilot and is supposedly much better. They only became available this year in the DTS Performance size. Both the Pilot and Primacy are excellent tires from a safety standpoint, which is my primary concern. I recently replaced the Stones with the Primacy and have been very happy with them.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
922 Posts
The Michelin Primacy is an upgrade to the Pilot and is supposedly much better. They only became available this year in the DTS Performance size. Both the Pilot and Primacy are excellent tires from a safety standpoint, which is my primary concern. I recently replaced the Stones with the Primacy and have been very happy with them.

My sister has the Primacy MXV4 on her CTS, awesome tire. They deserve all the accolades they receive.

I've put 20,000 miles on these Pilots and my only complaint is that they're noisier than they should be, at least for a Michelin tire.

If my lease didn't expire in 6 months, I'd have already traded these Pilots for a set of Primacy!

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
912 Posts
I am impressed with what the factory puts on their cars. I have had three Lincolns, a Buick, and my '06 STS, all with factory-installed noisy tires. Everyone says the engineers have studied the cars hard and put the best items for the price-point that are available. Seems noisy tires fill that bill, too. Then after putting on my choice of tires, the ride gets quiet, the tires last longer, the car handles better-- and I am not an engineer. Really makes you wonder what goes on in the labs in Detroit.. beside jumping the finest collection of pot holes in the world. And that too would encourage better tires. But, no, don't count it. :banghead:

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
922 Posts
I am impressed with what the factory puts on their cars. I have had three Lincolns, a Buick, and my '06 STS, all with factory-installed noisy tires. Everyone says the engineers have studied the cars hard and put the best items for the price-point that are available. Seems noisy tires fill that bill, too. Then after putting on my choice of tires, the ride gets quiet, the tires last longer, the car handles better-- and I am not an engineer. Really makes you wonder what goes on in the labs in Detroit.. beside jumping the finest collection of pot holes in the world. And that too would encourage better tires. But, no, don't count it. :banghead:

Its not just Detroit. Most everyone in my circle leases, and lately the Lexus people are complaining about tires as well. They're like we Cadillac folks, have the oil changed once or twice, rotate the tires a couple of times, return the car and get a new one. Now we're all complaining about having to get new sets of tires after 10K-12K miles. Pathetic.

Just a way for the manufacturers to save a few $$$$, but all it does is piss off your loyal customers.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On case anyone is interested...here is a pic of the new Yokohama tires.
I finally figured out how to use Photobucket... I think.. :)

Thay already have about 6,000 miles on them.

Texas Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts