Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1992 Sedan Deville
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well thank ya lord , for it turns out, the head gasket was the only thing wrong(with that problem lol), no corrosion or anything like that on the motor and my wallet wont be hurting that bad. I took it into the shop though for a weird sound coming from the front, for which i suspected was a bearing. After two different road tests, the dealer tells me that the right front bearing should fix the problem (weird dragging or rubbing sound when slight turns on freeway). My question is should i replace the left front wheel bearing as well? I was told they normally dont need to be replaced in pairs but i was just curious if that one goes out, will the other be close behind? Also do wheel bearings improve the ride quality at all, such as vibration or anything like that? They should be working on the right front as we speak so any advice on this would be great

The man who cant wait to get his baby back from the shop

Daveman
2001 cadiilac etc diamond white

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,982 Posts
Wheel bearings don't unnecessarily go out in pairs. I replaced one on my '92 at about 75K. The other was still there when I traded it at 125K.

They don't improve ride quality.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
'97 Cadillac Deville D'Elegance
7 Posts
I need new bearings on both front wheels, how much would you expect something like that to cost? I just wanna get an idea so I don't get ripped off at a shop.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,112 Posts
The wheel bearings on your car are in a sealed unitized "capsule" which incorporates the wheel bearings, wheel hub, wheel lugs, mounting plate and wheel speed sensor, so the whole thing gets replaced at one time.

For an idea of the pricing, go to www.rockauto.com and get the ACDelco part cost. (your car, year, model, brakes/hub, wheel bearing) Then add 25% for dealer markup plus a couple of hours labor time. (This is a guess, others will know, but around $500 to replace both bearing capsules.)

Are we talking about a 2001 ETC ?? This thread is about 2 different cars........a 97 D'Elegance has the same bearing style, maybe HD, but also around $150 apiece, and that's way below dealer.

EDIT: OK, now I see - this is a 2year old resurrection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts