Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cadillac Owners:

Just saw the news on the Internet stating that the ignition switch recall has been expanded once again (6 more models) to include all first gen CTS. See chart below.

How many on the forum will be planning to take part? The only key I use in the ignition is the ignition key alone. If you don't have a "mountain" of keys on your keychain, does anyone know the likelihood of unintended ignition key rotation?

I wonder how long the lines will be for service on this?

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,786 Posts
I only have the ignition key, factory remote, aftermarket remote for remote start and house key. I actually tested the unintentional rotation of the key cylinder. And it kept it's ground. So I don't care either way.

Besides I've been through a situation where I lost power to a car and I know exactly how to handle it. The power was lost because the wire to the alternator was crap, and after so many starting cycles, the battery died. Then as I was driving with the headlights on, things were "ok". But as ion as I applied the brakes, the engine just died. Because the added stress of the brake lights. Needless to say, the battery was done for that drive.

KOT

·
Registered
CTS
35 Posts
Although we only use the key with fob attached, I'll have it fixed, just because the wife drives the car most of the time and I haven't had time to get a good life insurance policy on her yet :)

·
Registered
"Angel Dust" 2004 White Diamond CTS 3.6L-V
390 Posts
Thanks for sharing....I was warned of these a few years ago by a personal mechanic and now detach my bundle of keys from my car related key ring to reduce the stress...

·
Registered
2003 CTS
147 Posts
Good to know, I will be having mine changed. I wonder if it will fix the mysterious periodic no crank, no start issue?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I heard that the recall cars before ours, or the set before that. GM decided not to replace the ignition switch, but rather the key itself. Where the key has just a simple hole for the key ring in the middle. So there's no long slit.

Only problem with this route, they can't control the aftermarket key makers. Or can they?

KOT

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6
10 Posts
I just purchased my 2007 CTS last Saturday along with one key and one fob and a bullshit excuse from the salesman about how they only provide the keys that came with the vehicle when it was traded. So, yesterday, 06/01/2014, I had the Cadillac Parts department cut me a new key (a total of $30. Like big deal right?). It has the elongated slot, for what it's worth. I think I will see about getting mine replaced.

I heard that the recall cars before ours, or the set before that. GM decided not to replace the ignition switch, but rather the key itself. Where the key has just a simple hole for the key ring in the middle. So there's no long slit.

Only problem with this route, they can't control the aftermarket key makers. Or can they?

KOT

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
106 Posts
I just typed in my VIN into the GM recall center's website and it says my 2003 Cadillac CTS doesn't have a recall. I guess it's not updated for the new vehicles.

Here's the site if your interested.

https://recalls.gm.com/

·
Registered
Ex-CTS owner
1,229 Posts
Anyone know the proper procedure for getting your car fixed? Do you just show up at a dealer and drop it off?

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,468 Posts
Wait...You're telling me the 2014 CTS isn't push button start??? Cadillac, you failed! :)

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Anyone know the proper procedure for getting your car fixed? Do you just show up at a dealer and drop it off?
No, you wait until you receive the letter in the mail. They use your state's DMV information to find who has a car that is under recall and send the letter to the proper address. So if you moved since you originally registered your car, and haven't updated that at the DMV. Then most likely you won't receive a letter. If that is the case, then you'll have to wait for a while. Contact your dealer to see if you are on the list and explain your situation of not receiving the letter. They should still be able to do it with out the letter.

KOT

·
Registered
CTS
12 Posts
If your real nervous about your ignition problem, make sure your car has the recall first, then have it fixed by your personal mechanic right away. Then wait for the notice to come in, when the notice comes in, send a copy of the bill to the dealer and they will reimburse your money, within reasonable cost. My wife has a Saturn, that had an ignition problem 2 year's ago, that was not related to the current recall and had the ignition switch replaced by our mechanic. When she received her recall notice, she just sent in the ignition repair bill and received a check for the amount she paid, no question's asked.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6
10 Posts
I just called my local Cadillac service department and they said there are no Cadillacs on recall for ignition switch problems. The GM recall website also does not list any Cadillacs.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Cadillac Owners:

Just saw the news on the Internet stating that the ignition switch recall has been expanded once again (6 more models) to include all first gen CTS. See chart below.

How many on the forum will be planning to take part? The only key I use in the ignition is the ignition key alone. If you don't have a "mountain" of keys on your keychain, does anyone know the likelihood of unintended ignition key rotation?

I wonder how long the lines will be for service on this?

I don't know about the rest of you. But I can't even find this list. I've searched and searched and don't even seen the first gen CTS as having a recall.

KOT

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
18 Posts
It is true that list came from GM through their internal mail system. I got it too the other day, the actual recall number and bulliten hasnt been released yet.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts