Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Crimson Pearl DTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Holy cow... So I get the car back today, super excited to have it back. Both head gaskets replaced, heads resurfaced, new water pump, gel like oil cleaned out, etc. 2400.

They dropped the engine out the bottom, so now I need to get the wheels alligned, but overall, still excited...

Take it home give it a bath.

I drive 20 some odd miles to get to work, on my way back the tach and the speedometer start going crazy. Bad enough that while doing 60 the engone cuts out because the speedometer thinks I am doing 140. This continues off and on through the latter half of the trip. The RPM's seem stuck when I park at 2500 RPM's.

The mechanic cannot get to it till Monday, he figures a wire got loose.

On my drive home, the car dies on me. Flat out dies. Won't start back up, nothing. Get it going off and on for 3/4's of the drive home, same thing, keeps quitting out, same crazy tach and speedometer.

I sit. And sit. To embarassed to call the wife yet to explain the car is still a mess. Try to start it a few times, the key gets stuck a few times, won't come out..

Now it is parked on the side of the road...

I read an earlier article where the key was getting stuck due to a dead battery.

Could this be as easy as replacing the battery? The mechanic had the car for almost a month, the voltage reads 11.8.

Would a dead battery cause the rest of these problems?

Any other ideas as to what would drive the tach and speedomter nuts?

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Check the connections to the battery AND the alternator too. Remember, he had to disconnect a crapload of stuff to get the motor out. Its not hard to overlook a connection... and even a LOOSE connection can cause all of the problems you mentioned.

Dont ask me why, but battery problems cause ALL KINDS of crazy errors and symptoms in todays computer controlled cars. It makes sense though when you think about a sophisticated piece of electronic machinery receiving a fraction of the operating power its supposed to.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,982 Posts
Lots of electronics in these cars and low voltage can wreak havoc with them. If the voltage was 11.8 while driving, then I'd say battery as well.

·
Registered
2000 Crimson Pearl DTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was around 14 while driving, but it is now sitting at 11.

It makes sense. I am going to try and find a replacement today and get it fixed.

This is me keeping my fingers crossed that it is only the battery...

·
Super Moderator
86,982 Posts
Wait a minute. 14v while driving and 12v shut down is normal. Don't waste money on a new battery.

·
Registered
2000 Crimson Pearl DTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I guess I read that a couple of four hours too late... :eek: I didn't end up buying a battery, but I spent the better part of the day looking for one, found it, hooked it up, it was a bad battery...

Took it back they charged my old one up, hooked it up to the car, nothing. :alchi:

I can hear a clicking from what sounds like under the stereo when I try to start it, and now that I have the back seat removed a sound from back there too. I can only hear it when I am in the car, nothing while outside...

Nothing moves on the dash anymore when I try to start it, it lights up, but that is about it. The speedometer and tach stay motionless, they dont even do their normal wake up jumping around... And of course I now have the key stuck in the ignition...

I plan to take it to the mechanic on Monday, but as it stands (or sits) it is on the side of the road about 5 miles from my house and 5 miles from the Mechanic, aside from pulling a Flinstone move or towing it, do you have any ideas on what could be wrong and on how to get it operational to get it to the shop?

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
2000 Crimson Pearl DTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not tried that. I haven't tried it because I cannot get anything out of the starter anymore, so I figured that there must be more wrong and after Ranger stated 12v shut down is normal...

I will probably give it a shot though.

·
Super Moderator
86,982 Posts
12v static is normal voltage. If you have a dead cell it won't crank the engine though. That said, if you replaced the battery and still get nothing, check the cables all the way to the starter solenoid.

D

·
0 Posts
Man, I feel real bad about what you are going through. You are not the first though, someone else here a while back had similar problems after the head gaskets were fixed and he took it home from the mechanic. Dont remember how that one turned out. Anyway, I have nothing to add to the excellent advice from Ranger and the rest but I hope you get this mess situated and enjoy your Caddy.

·
Registered
2000 Crimson Pearl DTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tried jumping it, same thing; nothing.

Towed it to the mechanic, put it in his parking spot. Hope he gets the hint. :horse:

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
I've never posted, new to this site. Found it today because I want to try to find a part number for my '00 DHS. But when I read your post, I feel your pain. Been through all that. I haven't had the HG's replaced (although that's about the only thing it hasn't been in the shop for). I think I got a bad mechanic at first. I got stuck in some not so nice places (I am a home care RN) with a dead but rather attractive car. Got stuck at my in-laws 2hrs away 3 times. After having something replaced (sorry can't remember what, but it was a necessary thing around the 50-60K mark from what I read) the dealer mechanic didn't tighten up something under the hood, it rattled every time I hit a bump and reset the computer so they couldn't diagnose the problem (the problem being it was dead every times I turned around) and it eventually ruined the starter. Oh, we replaced the battery, too, didn't help.

Well, the new starter didn't keep me from getting stuck one more time 2hrs from home. My brother in law found a 5 cent washer, put it on and tightened up that piece under the hood and it ran ever since (not before I had spent a lot of unnecessary money, though)

Now for the bad part, I too have no speedo, no odometer, nothing going on there. I can't find a used instrument cluster to save my life because most sites won't let you specify DHS or DTS, only Deville. I keep ending up with a part that doesn't have a heads up display and one where the pins don't even line up. Oh well, good luck with your problems.

·
Registered
Cadillac
72 Posts
I recently had a battery go out on my Corvette. It started out with the instrument cluster acting weird. The alarm started acting up too, making weird noises. Then the clicking under the dash when I try to start.

New battery fixed it all up.

Yeah. A weak battery and/or connection will cause all kinds of electrical gremlins on these complicated cars.

·
Registered
2000 Crimson Pearl DTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I met the guy at his shop when he arrived Monday morning at 8:00, he had it fixed by 10:30, it ened up that a ground came loose somewhere?? (does this sound right?)

Anyways got it back, it runs great again, hoping for many, many, many more miles troublefree.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
So I met the guy at his shop when he arrived Monday morning at 8:00, he had it fixed by 10:30, it ened up that a ground came loose somewhere?? (does this sound right?)

Anyways got it back, it runs great again, hoping for many, many, many more miles troublefree.:thumbsup:
It's possible. I had a loose ground strap on my '64 Impala a few years ago, and it just died with no warning like that.

Here's wishing you and your Cadillac happy motoring.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts