Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'86 Brougham
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Attached is a UOA on an 86 Brougham @ 150000 miles.
Car runs great, but that glycol issue got me thinking. I added the "tabs" to the coolant and all seems well. Is there a test to see if the coolant is leaking down? Or symptoms to look for?
I'd hate to do head gaskets and find it was a waste of time.
I will run another test on the oil and see if there's any change from the tablets.
Probably another month from now.
Thanks
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002867

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
What is a UOA?

Olds V8 intake gaskets are notorious leakers with age. You might be leaking into the lifter valley. I am not a proponent of drop in fixes (pellets, oil additives, water pump additives, and the like) unless GM sanctioned it on that engine. Being Olds did not on the life of the engine family (1968-1990, 260, 307, 330, 350, 403), and I have hundreds of thousands of miles without them, I am likely sure that they are not needed on the Olds V8 you have.

·
Registered
'86 Brougham
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry.
UOA is a laboratory analysis of the engine oil. Tells the amount of chemicals and wear metals present in parts per million. Tests for acidity levels, breakdown of viscosity,etc.
Uniform Oil Analysis I think is the correct terminology.
Interpretation of the results is somewhat subjective, and that's why I through it out here. Intake leak, as you stated, was one of the theories. Makes sense.
Cadillac dealer was well acquainted with the issue and had the pellets on hand when I asked about them. Don't know if that's good or bad. We'll see.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Most vehicles with aluminum heads or block use them, possibly it is why Olds had some many problems with intake leaks on the 307's was the lack of use. Olds' "turkey tray" intake gasket isn't the best idea. It solves a couple problems at once, with 1 part (Pontiac and Chysler used 3 (cover and 2 gaskets, Edelbrock calls it the "air gap intake"). The oil getting on the intake crossover and burning is a problem, so they add in the larger lifter valley cover. I like the Pontiac/Chrysler solution much better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts