Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
Cadillac
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I did it. I guess I tried to tighten it to much. I wasnt even putting that much muscle into it, and the thing just snapped. Im talking about the bottom driver side bolt which holds the throttle body to the intake manifold. The head of the bolt snapped off. Part of the bolt is in the manifold and part of the bolt is in the tb. Theres no leaking issues as far as I can tell. What can I do - inexpensively? :suspense:

·
Banned
Cadillac
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i had taken everything off the top to check my top internals out......this happened whil reinstalling everything....after cleaning it all of course.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
You should be able to remove the other bolts and slide the throttle body back off, then get some pliers and remove the broken bolt.
Take one of the good ones to a local hardware store and match it up or order one from GM if you want the same bolt.
Should be easy to get it out.

Torque wrenches are good.
I think the spec is like 89 lb. in. Which ain't much.

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
You should be able to remove the other bolts and slide the throttle body back off, then get some pliers and remove the broken bolt.
Take one of the good ones to a local hardware store and match it up or order one from GM if you want the same bolt.
Should be easy to get it out.

Torque wrenches are good.
I think the spec is like 89 lb. in. Which ain't much.
7.4 foot pounds... thats a little more than hand tight

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
If you are gonna do your own work on the V, the bare minimum is a pair (not one) of good torque wrenches. :thepan:

You can get them at SEARS.

Use part of the money you save on labor to buy yourself some good tools.

Or:

Buy your friend who lets you borrow them a six-pac.:alchi:

·
Banned
Cadillac
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOl, how will I be able to slide the throttle body back out will? even with the other two removed its held in with the busted screw (Ie it is holding it together, just not as sturdily as with the head on it) so I dont think it will slide anywhere....I dont think it will budge.

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
it won't be held in with the screw...

only one side of the flange is threaded... you can't have both sides of a flange connection threaded or you'd never get it to seal..

heavy, why 2 wrenches... i have one digital torque wrench and a good set of breakerbars with angle guages and i've never had an issue

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I haven't looked at it, but if the head is broken off, once you remove the others you should be able to pull it straight away as if you were sliding it off of a dowel.
No?
I haven't looked at one.
Got a digital camera?

I have 3 torque wrenches, one for light stuff.... lb. in. and a 3/8" lb. ft. up to about 100? Then I have a 1/2" drive that is good for about 250.
I don't use them on everything but most things with gaskets I use them on.
Also things like hubs, calipers, and other things I deem important.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts