Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the temps have warmed up, I've noticed that approximately 2 minutes after startup, regardless of whether or not the engine is already hot or cold, I'm hearing this sucking/popping sound, almost like clicking the "freshness" vacuum button in the center of the cap on a jar of jelly back and forth, and just as loud to the ear over the engine at idle, emanating from the firewall area of the driver's side of the engine compartment, at what seems a frequency of 5-10 times/second. I've never noticed it prior to installing Timmy's intake, but, then again, it also only started making this noise when it got warm outside this year.

I checked all intake connections, and they are A+. No MAF codes, either. Squeezed the line connecting the rear of the supercharger to the brake booster, with no change, and did the same, for an identical result, with the loose vacuum line from the brake booster that no longer has a connection to the intake because Timmy's intake deletes the port (I did immediately cap it off with a K&N breather filter post TC intake install, so there's no grit blocking the line or impacting the booster).

I'm confused if this is normal, or if anyone else has experienced this, and, if so, what their resolution for it was, as it is FACKING annoying. Makes the car sound like its got 200k miles on it when in reality it's got less than 19k.

Is the Supercharger releasing pressure at idle due to the higher ambient temps outside? Is it the TB actuating? It is definitely NOT a belt driven pulley, as the sound is emanating from the rear of the motor, and is not immediately evident at startup, as I stated before. It don't believe it is a tapping valve, as I know what those sound like on a traditional motor. However, I've never experienced hearing a valve "tap" on a variably-timed motor to be able to rule it out conclusively.

Any input appreciated.

----------

FYI -I haven't modded anything but the intake, exhaust, heat exchanger, heat exchanger pump, and manifolds. No Supercharger, injector, or TB mods yet, though they are planned.

Is it possible that I cracked a port/plastic fitting on the rear of the S/C (when installing TimmyC's intake) which would cause this noise after two minutes at idle? Wouldn't a cracked port or a blocked line throw a code?

·
Registered
2007 sts-v, 2011 Escalade EXT
382 Posts
Well, occasionally when mine is warm at idle, The rocker/follower arm makes a ticking noise at idle.its on the left bank when you're looking at it from the front. I should fix that......

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, occasionally when mine is warm at idle, The rocker/follower arm makes a ticking noise at idle.its on the left bank when you're looking at it from the front. I should fix that......
Could be the same, but mine is coming from the right...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts