Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some work to my seats and disconnected the negative cable overnight. When I buttoned everything back up the truck displays an "unknown driver message" and will run for 2 seconds before it dies. Also the Key fob does not work either.

If anyone has any pointers it would be greatly appreciated since this thing is my Daily.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sounds like the passcode lockout due to a low battery. You may need a new battery. Do a google search on "unknown driver gm" , there is a lot of info on it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thinking about it, the truck has been doing this intermittently for the past week or so. Could this be an ignition switch issue?

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Unknown driver is a electronics issue and will show with a low battery(been there myself)

Check the battery cables first before replacing anything as when mine did this they was loose

Certain modules in the truck require a certain voltage level then others and if they don't get it they will do some pretty weird stuff(seen that first hand)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: So the battery cables are fine. I unplugged the large connector on the rear of the drivers seat and everything magically started working again (everything but the drivers seat) even my keyfob unlock button started working.

Do you have any suggestions on which particular set of wires I need to check? Or a wiring diagram for the under seat module on a Platinum.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
I would say the seat module is failing as it works the seat motors(there is sensors on the motors)
Also it works
Memory seat recall
Easy exit
Both front seat warmers(and in your case the coolers)

I have a wiring diagram but it doesn't cover the platinum package seat wiring

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The module that is on the side of the seat correct? I have two seat modules, one causes the controls to be inverted and the other one operates normally. It is possible that they are both defective. Are the seat modules interchangeable passenger to driver side? or are you talking about the big module that goes into the center of the seat?

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
just_dirty said:
The module that is on the side of the seat correct? I have two seat modules, one causes the controls to be inverted and the other one operates normally. It is possible that they are both defective. Are the seat modules interchangeable passenger to driver side? or are you talking about the big module that goes into the center of the seat?
One module works both front seats

It is at the front of the seat in the center
The module works the motors the controls just send signals to the module to work the motors

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright so I noticed a few more observations while. While the drivers seat is unplugged the HVAC seems to work a lot better. I can actually feel variations between low and high(before it was either barely noticeable or full blast with not much in between) I noticed this with the temperature as well. Could this be tied into a BCM that is going bad?

I have two seat modules and both of them net the same result. I'm going to double check wiring and my soldering at the seat plug but I'm beginning to think its something else.

Any input is greatly
Appreciated.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
It might be a bad hvac module

The bcm doesn't work the sensors in the hvac just the main on and off when the key is switched

The memory seat module is only tied into it to remember the last set recall for driver 1 or driver 2

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
If it's just the harness at the rear of the seat it only works the controls

The seat module itself works the motors directly

Try just unplugging the harness in the rear of the seat and see if it stays working with both modules

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it's just the harness at the rear of the seat it only works the controls

The seat module itself works the motors directly

Try just unplugging the harness in the rear of the seat and see if it stays working with both modules
Confirmed that if the seat module is unplugged I regain access to my truck and it will display "driver 1" instead of "unknown driver". I have 2 seat modules and they both produce the same results.

As of now i'm still driving with the harness on the rear of the driver seat unplugged (so no seat controls and no heated/ventilated seats). If I were to order new seat modules or used ones would I have to take it to the dealership for a reprogram?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
As of now i'm still driving with the harness on the rear of the driver seat unplugged (so no seat controls and no heated/ventilated seats).
Have you inspected the wires at both ends of the connectors? I would look for broken, pinched or burned areas. Below is a link that I dealt with, not the same problem as yours but sounds like the same connector. There have been a couple responses to that thread as well that indicate some problems with that particular electric connector.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/272335-2005-escalade-esv-power-seat-non.html#post3115074

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
^ he has a point on the harness connection being a possible culprit.
Since you have tried two different modules and it hasn't helped it's time to check out the wiring.

If you want I can provide the wire colors so it will make it a little easier for you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^ he has a point on the harness connection being a possible culprit.
Since you have tried two different modules and it hasn't helped it's time to check out the wiring.

If you want I can provide the wire colors so it will make it a little easier for you.
Sure send the wire color diagram over. Can't hurt.

I swapped wires from my old seats and my old harness plug which was working fine over and I had the same results. Wiggling the connectors doesn't make any difference. If I were to cut off the connector and solder the wires together would that be a better way to rule out the plug as being an issue?

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Pm sent with my email.

I would wait till you get the wiring diagram to mess with it as this module is worked via the class-2 data bus and if you aren't careful you can cause more trouble than it's worth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
4 Participants
just_dirty