Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I purchased a 2002 ETC Eldorado from a sick friend of mine and after the Dealer threw over 4k in parts hoping to fix "wet plugs" and heat sink issues, Caddy was never fixed, out of frustration I took it to a new business that worked on Imports and other high priced vehicles. Well needless to say, the problem causing the Caddy to run bad was a small vacuum leak. $146 parts and labor and the Eldo runs like new. Only has 41k miles on it and the interior looks brand new. Crimson Pearl paint job that is almost factory fresh. Just a few road ticks that are difficult to see or find. I really like my car now but must say after reading the forum for a little while, I find it hard to believe ALL the problems that Cadillacs have. All makes, models, years etc. I will never buy another one, and if it hadn't been for helping out my sick friend, I would not own one now. I have always heard that Caddy's were troublesome, but I never knew how much so, until starting to read the forum. I really enjoy my Eldo, but it is the 1st and last Caddy I will ever own...

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,582 Posts
Glad to see another happy Cadillac owner. Today you said you threw $4K in parts at it; 12 days ago you said you threw $6K at it. And then a Mom & Pop shop found the ?? problem and fixed it for relatively cheap. Tell you anything about dealerships?

ALL the problems you see in here are not attached to ALL Cadillacs - many hundreds of different models and years - just like any other automobile brand on earth.

Vacuum leak - 2002 - 18 model years old. Stuff DOES get old and break. Do you perform weekly underhood and maintenance checks ?

·
Registered
258 Posts
...I really like my car now but must say after reading the forum for a little while, I find it hard to believe ALL the problems that Cadillacs have. All makes, models, years etc. I will never buy another one, and if it hadn't been for helping out my sick friend, I would not own one now. I have always heard that Caddy's were troublesome, but I never knew how much so, until starting to read the forum. I really enjoy my Eldo, but it is the 1st and last Caddy I will ever own...
Wow...if I could just respond very briefly?
1.) In a forum such as this, where people go to address problems with their car, it would seem a bit illogical to base your opinion of a brand strictly off said forum.
2.) I'm shocked to hear that someone with an 18 year old vehicle, that runs and drives great, has under 50,000 miles, and was just put on the road for a measly $146, would turn that person completely off to a brand. Where I'm from, that's called incredible value. It sure seems like the only issue here is taking it to the stealership in the first place, when their reputation for charging, I don't know, $4k for a $150 dollar repair, is well documented. Drive it for a while before you set anything in stone, my friend.

·
Super Moderator 2003 Deville Base SEMPER PARATUS
4,320 Posts
Hello all, I purchased a 2002 ETC Eldorado from a sick friend of mine and after the Dealer threw over 4k in parts hoping to fix "wet plugs" and heat sink issues, Caddy was never fixed, out of frustration I took it to a new business that worked on Imports and other high priced vehicles. Well needless to say, the problem causing the Caddy to run bad was a small vacuum leak. $146 parts and labor and the Eldo runs like new. Only has 41k miles on it and the interior looks brand new. Crimson Pearl paint job that is almost factory fresh. Just a few road ticks that are difficult to see or find. I really like my car now but must say after reading the forum for a little while, I find it hard to believe ALL the problems that Cadillacs have. All makes, models, years etc. I will never buy another one, and if it hadn't been for helping out my sick friend, I would not own one now. I have always heard that Caddy's were troublesome, but I never knew how much so, until starting to read the forum. I really enjoy my Eldo, but it is the 1st and last Caddy I will ever own...
and you chose to tell us all this by hijacking an introduction thread by another user. how very thoughtful of you.

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,582 Posts
Necessary posts have been moved to a new, pertinent thread. Thanks for the hijack reminder.

The OP for this thread has a couple of other posts on this subject. Click his avatar and click on the replies or discussions numbers.

·
Super Moderator
86,143 Posts
I really like my car now but must say after reading the forum for a little while, I find it hard to believe ALL the problems that Cadillacs have. All makes, models, years etc.
Pick your favorite car and go to that forum and you'll come away with the same impression. Remember, no one comes to these forums to say I have 150,000 trouble free miles and this is the most reliable car I've ever had.

·
4,320 Posts
wondering what a "sick friend" has to do with the condition of the car or any problems with the car.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Do yourself a favor and don't buy any more premium cars. Stick with Camrys and Malibus. You clearly are not cut out for this kind of vehicle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Glad to see another happy Cadillac owner. Today you said you threw $4K in parts at it; 12 days ago you said you threw $6K at it. And then a Mom & Pop shop found the ?? problem and fixed it for relatively cheap. Tell you anything about dealerships?

ALL the problems you see in here are not attached to ALL Cadillacs - many hundreds of different models and years - just like any other automobile brand on earth.

Vacuum leak - 2002 - 18 model years old. Stuff DOES get old and break. Do you perform weekly underhood and maintenance checks ?
Do yourself a favor and don't buy any more premium cars. Stick with Camrys and Malibus. You clearly are not cut out for this kind of vehicle.
Raven, I would think for a "premium" car as you call it , they would be more dependable??? You are right if I pay out my hard earned cash, I want something that won't take me to the cleaners. and Submariner, in regards to your smart comment, I check out my vehicles a lot, and yes I know my newly acquired Eldo is 17 years old and that is why I took it to the Caddy dealership to resolve any and all issues. I don't know about you, but I find it hard to accept any repair shop, dealer or other, to throw parts at it hoping to fix something when in fact they didn't know squat as to what they were doing at my expense. All I am saying is that since some call it a "Premium" car should not mean that I will have problem after problem as I read in this forum about other Cadillac owners, I am enjoying my Eldo now, but, as I stated earlier, with all the problems that I read here every week when I receive an email, there is no way I would buy another GM Cadillac, I have an Acura, properly maintained that is 20 years old 153k miles on it, and have never had any major issues that some of these so called "premium" cars have. Also have a Sonata with 110k miles on it and the only thing I have ever had was a door handle replacement. So you can keep your snarky comments as I meant no offense to anyone, I was just stating my opinion, and even you have that right to do so, Nuff said.

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Raven, I would think for a "premium" car as you call it , they would be more dependable???
100% incorrect 100% of the time.

Luxury cars are historically less dependable and more expensive to fix than their mainstream counterparts.

Nothing new here.

You own a nearly 20 year old car. Things break. You can fix them cheaply by learning to do it yourself, or expensively by paying someone else for their knowledge and time. Or you can stick to leasing new cars with warranty every 3 years and never pay for maintenance again.

Pay now or pay later - either way... cars cost money.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Raven, I would think for a "premium" car as you call it , they would be more dependable???
And that's why I said you are not cut out for premium vehicles. Your supposition is not consistent with reality. You don't buy a premium vehicle for dependability. You buy a premium vehicle for style, image, and amenities. Then you are introduced to the laws of physics - a more complex machine has more failure points than a less complex machine - and you end up with more issues than a budget brand vehicle. That's just how it goes. Cadillac ranks 2nd in initial quality in the premium class - ahead of BMW, Audi, Jaguar, and Land Rover. So what that's telling you is that this is as good as it gets for this class of vehicle.

I have an Acura, properly maintained that is 20 years old 153k miles on it, and have never had any major issues that some of these so called "premium" cars have.
First, an Acura is not in the premium class, it's in the luxury class, which means it competes with Lincoln, Buick, Lexus, and Infiniti. Second, you are talking about a car from over 20 years ago. That's comparing a pair of scissors to a spaceship. It's now 2019 and the automotive world is a very different place than it was in 1999. Your Acura was considered "premium" in 1999 because it had leather and a CD player. Today you can get those things in a Kia.

And I haven't even brushed on the fact that you purchased a 17-year-old premium vehicle and expected to not have to fix things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to all of the know it all's who replied to my comment. I know my car is old and I did know I would have to put money into it to keep it operating safely and have done that. I only bought this car to help out an old sick friend who needed the money. What I did notice that it is all of the problems that everyone else in this forum seems to have with these so called "premium" cars that some of you call them, I am not disparaging any of you. But I for one would not continue to spend my hard earned money on a "premium" car and have to deal with endless problems, the added expense and inconvenience of waiting for my next "premium" car problem to occur. I drive my Eldo on nice sunny days and really enjoy it, and again to all of you, I was just stating that I was surprised by all the different problems with all the different models and the frequency of problems even with the newer models. And by the way, I don't have to buy anything to impress anybody nor will I. Good luck to all of you "premium" car buyers, Cadillac Dealerships love your hard earned cash.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and you chose to tell us all this by hijacking an introduction thread by another user. how very thoughtful of you.
Byrdman, don't know or care what you are talking about. If you will re-read my original post I was just making a comment based on my own observations. Sorry you did not interpret if correctly. Hope your day improves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow...if I could just respond very briefly?
1.) In a forum such as this, where people go to address problems with their car, it would seem a bit illogical to base your opinion of a brand strictly off said forum.
2.) I'm shocked to hear that someone with an 18 year old vehicle, that runs and drives great, has under 50,000 miles, and was just put on the road for a measly $146, would turn that person completely off to a brand. Where I'm from, that's called incredible value. It sure seems like the only issue here is taking it to the stealership in the first place, when their reputation for charging, I don't know, $4k for a $150 dollar repair, is well documented. Drive it for a while before you set anything in stone, my friend.
@Cutherfield, the small fee charged to repair the problem was after I had spent a lot with the Cadillac dealership throwing parts in it, hoping to fix the problem and never did. If you would have read my post correctly instead of getting in a big hurry to criticize, I have spent double what I paid for it to get it road worthy and I expected to have a costly repair bill, My point was spending money for parts and labor and never having the problem repaired, that was my gripe.. So don't be shocked "MY FRIEND" And yes I have driven it for a while now, it had 41k on it when I bought it and it now has 44,083 on it and yes it runs good and I like driving it. And being 71 years old and having only one Cadillac dealership where I live, that is where I had to take it until I found a new business that knew what they were doing and from I have read in this forum there are many Caddy Dealerships that don't know what they are doing either. So think about it, before you start throwing stones "MY FRIEND"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And that's why I said you are not cut out for premium vehicles. Your supposition is not consistent with reality. You don't buy a premium vehicle for dependability. You buy a premium vehicle for style, image, and amenities. Then you are introduced to the laws of physics - a more complex machine has more failure points than a less complex machine - and you end up with more issues than a budget brand vehicle. That's just how it goes. Cadillac ranks 2nd in initial quality in the premium class - ahead of BMW, Audi, Jaguar, and Land Rover. So what that's telling you is that this is as good as it gets for this class of vehicle.

First, an Acura is not in the premium class, it's in the luxury class, which means it competes with Lincoln, Buick, Lexus, and Infiniti. Second, you are talking about a car from over 20 years ago. That's comparing a pair of scissors to a spaceship. It's now 2019 and the automotive world is a very different place than it was in 1999. Your Acura was considered "premium" in 1999 because it had leather and a CD player. Today you can get those things in a Kia.

And I haven't even brushed on the fact that you purchased a 17-year-old premium vehicle and expected to not have to fix things.
Thank You Raven, my scissors are working correctly, and every time. I haven't had to take it to the repair shop once.

·
4,320 Posts
Byrdman, don't know or care what you are talking about. If you will re-read my original post I was just making a comment based on my own observations. Sorry you did not interpret if correctly. Hope your day improves.
My day is going just fine, thanks. Pretty sure all of us interpreted you correctly. you said "I have always heard that Caddy's were troublesome, but I never knew how much so, until starting to read the forum. I really enjoy my Eldo, but it is the 1st and last Caddy I will ever own..." If you had always heard that Caddy's were troublesome, why did you buy it? You came with a sad story looking for sympathy but you didn't get any. If you had come asking for help or advice, you would have gotten plenty. With that, I'm out of this thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My day is going just fine, thanks. Pretty sure all of us interpreted you correctly. you said "I have always heard that Caddy's were troublesome, but I never knew how much so, until starting to read the forum. I really enjoy my Eldo, but it is the 1st and last Caddy I will ever own..." If you had always heard that Caddy's were troublesome, why did you buy it? You came with a sad story looking for sympathy but you didn't get any. If you had come asking for help or advice, you would have gotten plenty. With that, I'm out of this thread.
@Brydman, I didn't come looking for any sympathy, I did buy the car from a very sick friend of mine out of a request from his wife saying he would not sell it to anyone but me. I didn't need it nor want it at the time, but my life long friend is dying and they needed the money so I helped them out, also knowing that I would have to have it worked on in order to sell it again to someone else. I will keep "his" car until he passes away as I promised. And yes, I have heard that Cadillacs were troublesome and from what I see here in the forum that seems to be correct, otherwise why would you need a forum for advice, right???? One thing for sure is I don't need any advice from you, and with that "I'm out of this thread"... hope your day improves...!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts