Registered
2001 Catera Sport,2005 SRX 3.6 AWD,2008 STS-4
36 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V6 STS RWD
286 Posts
You can not change the date.

It's supposed to get the correct date from GPS, which it can no longer do.
I suspect that GM often waits until some replacement parts get a "waiting list" of backordered qtys. before ordering more from vendors. I worked for an electrical parts vendor to GM and other car mfrs. 15~20 years ago, and we'd often set up for short runs of various switches and switch assemblies. I'm sure Lear has similar arrangements. BTW, In the case of switch assemblies, the "non-current" replacement part process was very labor intensive and that cost got passed on to GM and eventually the end customer. Hundreds of pars an hour could be made with a small crew on automated pallet lines with various robotic pick & place stations, staking dies, and test stations which would automatically test every switch function and even confirm the illumination lamps were working and within specified current draw. We'd keep the various die sets on hand for these processes on hand years later, using small hyd. presses and doing all component installations and testing by hand. Plastic injected molded parts needed expensive "small run" changeovers and often the entire order would take a week to produce a quantity originally obtainable in less than one day on the original automated line.

·
Registered
STS 2008
34 Posts
Like everyone else with the "clock buttons will not set clock" after replacing battery or disconnecting battery. It does not seem that this problem occured on GMs with certain radio/gps units until 2018. My dealer says the only fix is to replace the $1,500.00 radio/gps assembly. Seems the clock is linked to GPS time, somewhere in the programming, the unit is told that after 2018, if the power source is removed, the eprom/firmware disconnects the GPS from the clock, so the clock does not know what time it is so it cannot be reset...this would clearly constitute a latent defect that GM should be responsible for. Offering to replace the radio that works fine, and GPS that works fine for only $1,500.00 so we owners will have the convenience of a clock seems a bit extreme price to pay. Option would be to go to parts store and buy a stick on clock to place over GM unit. Unfortunately, I really don't think Cadillac thinks there are enough 2008 STSs to justify resolving this latent defect. Sure doesn't encourage brand loyalty.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,206 Posts
Like everyone else with the "clock buttons will not set clock" after replacing battery or disconnecting battery. It does not seem that this problem occured on GMs with certain radio/gps units until 2018. My dealer says the only fix is to replace the $1,500.00 radio/gps assembly. Seems the clock is linked to GPS time, somewhere in the programming, the unit is told that after 2018, if the power source is removed, the eprom/firmware disconnects the GPS from the clock, so the clock does not know what time it is so it cannot be reset...this would clearly constitute a latent defect that GM should be responsible for. Offering to replace the radio that works fine, and GPS that works fine for only $1,500.00 so we owners will have the convenience of a clock seems a bit extreme price to pay. Option would be to go to parts store and buy a stick on clock to place over GM unit. Unfortunately, I really don't think Cadillac thinks there are enough 2008 STSs to justify resolving this latent defect. Sure doesn't encourage brand loyalty.
Respectfully, your dealer is horribly mistaken and like most dealers, clearly doesn't understand the product or the problem. This is a software issue that can be resolved without replacing the radio. Denso needs to make the changes and GM needs to roll out the update process to dealers. My guess is that it will involve a DVD based update, in combination with using the appropriate scan tool. I say this based on how the firmware update was managed for the 2005-07 radios. I suspect there is 'likely' no other way, unless Denso radically changed their update process for this particular radio.

This problem is not just limited to the 2008 STS, it's all 2005+ STS's. There still aren't a huge number of these out there, but many other GM vehicles using Denso radios are also affected. Some have a fairly easy work around, others do not.

·
Registered
'06 STS-V; '10 STS 1SG; '08 Escalade, '08 Escalade EXT
504 Posts
UPDATE - I have not had a clock since December; Mysteriously this Friday, June 21st driving home that evening it appeared (I am in Eastern Time Zone, and it was 4 hours off) - Date is still showing December 31, 2000.

Parameters: Car has normally been in garage, I did drive it three days in a row last week. The only thing I would say "odd" was on Friday afternoon, I parked in the parking garage for approximately 4 hours at a local hotel (No GPS signal, P2 level) - I made one other short trip from there downtown to park (No, didn't pay attention to the clock then) -- but again, parked for several hours, outside parking, was on the way home at around 11PM - clock was there (just wrong). I was able to set it manually.

I guess I can thank my doctor wife for graduating from her residency the other night at the Spartanburg Marriott.. and I didn't drive her Benz!

·
Registered
2009 STS 1SG, 2013 SRX
225 Posts
It's pretty clear after all these (few) miraculous clock reappearances, there is code in the firmware which is updating the clock if a certain GPS satellite is captured at a certain moment in its operation. I am sure if somebody had a copy of the source code, we could see this phenomenon isn't actually random, and instead either intentional or an accident based on design, but for the end user, it will appear absolutely random.

Get used to the dashes and be surprised... there is nothing anybody will be able to do to hasten its homecoming.

·
Registered
'06 STS-V; '10 STS 1SG; '08 Escalade, '08 Escalade EXT
504 Posts
It's pretty clear after all these (few) miraculous clock reappearances, there is code in the firmware which is updating the clock if a certain GPS satellite is captured at a certain moment in its operation. I am sure if somebody had a copy of the source code, we could see this phenomenon isn't actually random, and instead either intentional or an accident based on design, but for the end user, it will appear absolutely random.

Get used to the dashes and be surprised... there is nothing anybody will be able to do to hasten its homecoming.
As I stated above; there has to be a certain set of parameters that us few and far between are recognizing..

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,957 Posts
I must have the miracle STS. Somehow, because of the heavy smoke from local forest fires requiring headlights, the wife managed to leave the lights on in the car overnight and the battery was flat. I went to start it and there were no clicks, no dash lights, nothing. I jumped it with the Ford pickup and it started right up. The time and date on the clock are right. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

·
Registered
2006 V6 STS RWD
286 Posts
Well, when we chart everything out looking for a commonality on the cause or cure, "jumped with '95 Ranger" may end up in boldface :yup:

·
Registered
2006 V6 STS RWD
286 Posts
I can see this being the next big scam(s).

"Make big money in your spare time, online". I am electrical engineering student from Wotthefokistan, and I know how to restore full operation of GM/Denso NAV radios, with 3-word secret incantation. Click heels together and loudly say, "Lear! Delphi! Xôæ~⌂Çâ ! * People will send you much money for 3rd word, but I share it with you for $200 in Bitcoin..
First 100 customers also receive free samples of Ageless Male and 8 Hour Energy - ORDER NOW.☺

*insert secret third word here. You can trust me because am from third word country.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,957 Posts
Contrary to previous theories, I don't see how buying a new replacement unit would change anything. It would have the same firmware with the same bug. If the firmware bug had been fixed a patch would have been distributed by this time.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8
11 Posts
Hey everyone. I was having the same issue. (2006 Sts V8) time was just lines and adjust buttons frozen. Started in Feb when I got a new battery. Last week the time came back and I can now adjust it again. It does say 2001 for the year date tho. So yes it can mysteriously return from the past. :)

·
Registered
DTS 2011, Deville 1998, SRX 2008
13 Posts
Not only STS. I have a 2011 DTS with the same issue. One day just stopped showing the time. :(

·
Registered
2005 STS N* 1SF
421 Posts
Had to replace my battery the other day and my clock and date disappeared. no way to adjust. Need to check if nav is working,I don't use it much but see if the gps is working. Will see if comes back.

601 - 620 of 1169 Posts