Cadillac Owners Forum banner

581 - 600 of 1179 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
***THERE MAY BE HOPE***

About three weeks ago the battery in my 2011 STS Platinum died and...............
This morning, left for a ballgame in St. Pete, FL and when I was on the road for about a half hour (at roughly 11:40AM), my gf yells out on I75 that the clock was working again! Hope that's the case for everyone here at some point.
Super! - so like I've been alluding to for over a month now, it appears that: 1) the more GPS syncing you do, the better the odds (of getting lucky); 2) I'll bet your NAV syncs faster now; and 3) I'll bet your date reset to January of 2001.
Your best bet is to just set the time and leave it be. (And - DONT disconnect your battery again if at all possible!)

Sure wish I could figure out exactly which SAT(s) are are allowing this to happens - would love to get my clock and NAV working well again.....(sigh.....)

·
Registered
2008 STS V8
94 Posts
Alluding to this.....I drive my STS everyday, and have been since the clock went out (see beginning of thread). I have done much more "GPS syncing" that the guy who has been w/o a clock for three weeks.

·
Registered
2011 Cadillac STS v6
11 Posts
Since I've got the same issue, I wanted to jump in and ask... What does GPS syncing consist of? Just waiting for the NAV system to receive signals from the right satellites? Is it all a waiting game with no user interaction?

·
Registered
2011 STS Platinum
6 Posts
Super! - so like I've been alluding to for over a month now, it appears that: 1) the more GPS syncing you do, the better the odds (of getting lucky); 2) I'll bet your NAV syncs faster now; and 3) I'll bet your date reset to January of 2001.
Your best bet is to just set the time and leave it be. (And - DONT disconnect your battery again if at all possible!)

Sure wish I could figure out exactly which SAT(s) are are allowing this to happens - would love to get my clock and NAV working well again.....(sigh.....)
I can't speak to your #'s 1 and 2, but yes, my date was reset to Jan 2001. Honestly, I don't think I really even noticed it before (I know it pops up on the welcome screen) so I'll take that if it means I get to have my clock back. P.S., as of this AM, clock still working accurately.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Alluding to this.....I drive my STS everyday, and have been since the clock went out (see beginning of thread). I have done much more "GPS syncing" that the guy who has been w/o a clock for three weeks.
Yup! If you take this small group as a microcosm, there have been 7-10 users who's clocks have returned (all to 2001), and there are ~100 folks on this forum thread. So...The odds are against us all!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Since I've got the same issue, I wanted to jump in and ask... What does GPS syncing consist of? Just waiting for the NAV system to receive signals from the right satellites? Is it all a waiting game with no user interaction?
Yes, every time it starts up, it takes ~4 satellites to lock-in a 3 dimensional set of coordinates (x, y, z). The problem with our units (not having a time reference) is, that it has no memory of relative location. It starts over again, with every start-up, instead of remembering which satellites are where. :-(

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can't speak to your #'s 1 and 2, but yes, my date was reset to Jan 2001. Honestly, I don't think I really even noticed it before (I know it pops up on the welcome screen) so I'll take that if it means I get to have my clock back. P.S., as of this AM, clock still working accurately.
If you are like the others that got thier clock back, I'll bet you sync/converge GPS in a minute or two of startup.

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
153 Posts
If you are like the others that got thier clock back, I'll bet you sync/converge GPS in a minute or two of startup.
Well, now that I had to disconnect the battery because of the "NOT IN PARK" message I got, I can say that my sync did not appear to be much faster when my clock was working for the 2 week period. I think the sync needs to know the time of year it is also.

I really wish that PARK switch would not have F'd up. Since I re-connected the battery, the PARK issue has not returned, but there is a new or adjusted micro switch on my shifter in the near future.

·
Registered
2008 STS-V, 2008 STS AWD
329 Posts
I visited the dealer for an inspection and asked about the clock problem, they say that engineering and supplier are currently investigating this problem. The fix procedure they printed out isn't for STS's with U3U, U3Z, URB or YQ4 radio codes.

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,771 Posts
I visited the dealer for an inspection and asked about the clock problem, they say that engineering and supplier are currently investigating this problem.
Do you really believe this BS?

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,469 Posts
I visited the dealer for an inspection and asked about the clock problem, they say that engineering and supplier are currently investigating this problem. The fix procedure they printed out isn't for STS's with U3U, U3Z, URB or YQ4 radio codes.
We've been getting that line for over half a year. Not holding my breath.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Cadillac STS v6
11 Posts
It starts over again, with every start-up, instead of remembering which satellites are where.
So what I'm hearing is I need to leave my car idling for a few weeks, straight. :)

What I find interesting is, my GPS works fine. When I start my car while its parked in my carport, the navigation map starts off displaying a red line through the letters "GPS" But once I get onto the highway, that goes away and it starts tracking my location just fine. It seems to know where the satellites are! At the very least, it learns of enough to track my location. But in spite of this, the clock still displays dashes.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,206 Posts
I finally took my STS out of winter storage yesterday and of course, as expected, my clock doesn't work. I have had no issues with the navigation portion of the system working as it always has.

·
Registered
2008 STS
11 Posts
My Clock started working !!!!! all by itself.. the date is Jan 1 2001 though... So how do I change the date? if possible... I tried GPS Time and nothing happens except it shows the wrong time...

·
Registered
06 STS-V & 06 STS 4 (sold 2016)
2,713 Posts
You can not change the date.

It's supposed to get the correct date from GPS, which it can no longer do.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,206 Posts
Keep in mind, the only RPO in the list that applies to the STS is YQ4. The others are for different vehicles affected. As of June 4, 2019, GM has also added the Pontiac Grand Prix (RPO: US4) to the list.

Personally, I'm going to wait and see what happens. GM has disappointed me enough times, but they have also surprised me a few times. I ordered new leather for my STS driver's seat. The car had been out of production for some time. No stock was available anywhere. Even though it seemed to take a long time (2+ months) for them to search every dealer worldwide that showed stock, they found nothing. Much to my surprise, my dealer received two boxes (one for each piece). GM had them manufactured for me and shipped direct from Lear. I'm quite comfortable in saying this because the dealer received them less than two weeks after the date on the manufacturing tag.

Additionally, I received the under hood fuse block for my Bonneville GXP. Again, no stock anywhere and when I received it, the date code shows it was made just a few weeks prior.

So... we'll see. There are enough vehicles overall affected that they may action this. I'm sure that Denso doesn't make radios for just GM (although I haven't confirmed this). Depending on how extensive this is among their (Denso's) product lines, it may just take time. I haven't lost complete hope, yet.

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,051 Posts
I would be happy to have my clock come back to life. I could live with the wrong date!

581 - 600 of 1179 Posts