Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 973 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS
189 Posts
Am having a Gulf Model and same thing happened.........no clock setting and all buttons are dead.

I went for vacation and disconnected the battery for 3 weeks, when I came back and try to adjust the clock but everything was dead. Even I have replaced the battery as it was weak but still same.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Has anyone found an answer I am having the same exact problem? I took the nav unit out of the car and was tempted to disassemble it to find a fuse or battery, however, i could only get the top of the unit off I could not figure out how to get the back off to expose all electronics.

·
Registered
06 STS-V & 06 STS 4 (sold 2016)
2,697 Posts
Most likely a firmware problem related to the current GPS week count. See above posts. No one has found a solution yet, and a fix will not be coming soon.

The best people can do is try and report the issue to GM and/or Denso. Next April the GPS week count rolls over again, so something will probably happen, but our dates may not read correctly.

For everyone else, try to not remove your power before April.

A lot of this is my speculation, but it seems the most plausible way to explain what looks like all of them doing it if power is removed and reapplied.

·
Registered
2005 STS
7 Posts
I have a 2005 STS and the same exact thing has happened. No clock. No active buttons on the clock modification menu. I did just recently change my battery and I thought that had something to do with it but apparently it seems something else is going on.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
What I think is happening is that if you remove power (and reconnect it) you are doing a full reboot of the Nav. The Nav then looks for a GPS signal and first decodes the week count, then the second count. From that it knows the date and time.

I think what's failing is the interpretation of the week count because we are beyond a certain number of weeks that started in 1999. If that fails then the Nav time and date are hosed. We really don't have a way to set it from scratch, only adjust it after it gets time from GPS. That's why the buttons are greyed out. If you think about it we've always had the date, but you can't set the date, just the hour and minute. The only reason for that is if you're not in one of the selectable time zones.

The reason I think you only have the problem after a full reboot is, I don't think the Nav needs to decode the week count after it does initially. It only needs the second count to keep time. It would never drift off by a week when it's free running. That's why those of us who haven't removed power don't have the problem (yet).

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
1,966 Posts
I wonder if my CTS-V and SRX have the same issue. STS is fine (apparently until I disconnect the battery).

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,950 Posts
Your usually spot on with comments, but that is a big fail.:cookoo:
Can you see Russia from where you live too??

I have a non-nav model and have long gotten used to the personal settings re-setting themselves.
Lately, it has been the steering wheel position, I haven't changed the personal setting since I bought this 5 years ago, but now it has developed a habit of notching down a couple at start, not when I get in the car, must be thinking it has an exit setting and wants to reposition, I don't care, I just know it will quit doing it in a month or two.
Yes, I have tried the battery disconnect, and touched the cables together to drain the capacitors, but patience I find works the best.
The clock keeps up, I just leave it when daylight/regular times change, not that important, but the date has been stuck at mid-summer 2003 for as long as I owned it, yes, I have reset it but it just goes back to August 2003.

These complaints remind me of a doctor I met, I lacerated my hand, and he said beware the tree "Fs":
fat, forty, female, they think everything is wrong, yet, from a doctors view, there is nothing wrong.
Put this in your pipe and smoke it along with the weed. I'm not saying this is the problem but it did happen. https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/14/politics/russia-nato-jamming/index.html

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
If anyone wants to play around and see if they can reverse engineer the bug in our Nav units this site will help: https://www.labsat.co.uk/index.php/en/gps-time-calculator

I messed around a little bit, but I'm not immediately seeing what they might have done. I'm assuming that ours were made long enough ago that they use the 10 bit (mod 1024) GPS week and not the new 13 bit week, which solves the rollover issue for new receivers.

·
Premium Member
28,950 Posts
I replaced the battery in my '06 STS in November with no problems but I have also done the firmware upgrade that fixes the disk read problem and some voice command issues. There is a possibility that the firmware upgrade also handles the GPS week count issue. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Yeah but someone with a 2010 reported the problem. I don't think they ever required a firmware update. Maybe you snuck in just before the window.

Interesting that Target's is reading the wrong year now, but the right month and date. I wouldn't have expected that error with the way weeks are counted.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood FWD / 2000 ETC / 2000 STS / 2006 STS V-8 1SF RWD
475 Posts
Hello...FYI

In Oct 2018 I replaced the battery in my 2006. I have not updated the nav firmware, and do not have GPS time selected. My clock adjustments are fully functional.

·
Registered
2008 STS V8
94 Posts
Am having a Gulf Model and same thing happened.........no clock setting and all buttons are dead.

I went for vacation and disconnected the battery for 3 weeks, when I came back and try to adjust the clock but everything was dead. Even I have replaced the battery as it was weak but still same.
Got a new battery just after Thanksgiving. Pulled the cables off while out of town for two weeks. Came back yesterday to this problem.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Can anyone with a firmware updated nav unit confirm the issue? Or has that happened already and I missed it?

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 3.6 2006
78 Posts
Happy New Year to everyone.
My name is Stig and I'm from denmark and have the same problem - https://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/721073-no-time-displayed-2005-sts .html
Since English is not my native language, I would like to try to understand what you write in this thread.
My Cadillac is an STS from 2006 and I suddenly have no indication of the clock after my mechanics have changed the shock absorbers in front where he had to remove a ground wire that sits on the right side of the shock absorber tower.
is it really understood that you expect it to be an update problem that should go back to itself when an update on the gps signal comes around April 2019?
Greetings from Denmark

·
Premium Member
28,950 Posts
Can anyone with a firmware updated nav unit confirm the issue? Or has that happened already and I missed it?
I did the firmware update for DVD compatibility and voice commands some time in the past. I changed the battery some time in November and the clock works. I'm not about to disconnect the battery again to see if the clock will die. My experience is that we are screwed. There are two chances that Cadillac will issue a firmware update to correct the problem, slim and none.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
We are all wondering what will happen next April. It may:
- Still not work at all
- Reset to week zero, which is 22 Aug 1999, but perhaps with the correct time at least and we can set our clocks. This is probably the most likely and probably fine for most of us anyway.
- Begin to work perfectly with a 2019 date?

Not really sure where to put my money. I will try not to disconnect my battery until after it is clear what is going to happen after April I guess.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Wouldn't awesome customer service be that someone from Cadillac reads this and convinces someone higher up that, hey we need to fix this for our brand loyalty, and they get a firmware update out early in 2019.

I crack myself up! A sense of humor is good for you I've heard.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
If they want brand loyalty, they will have to produce assloads of CT6-Vs so I can buy one used in 10 years. Not sure they care about my kind of brand loyalty...

41 - 60 of 973 Posts