Cadillac Owners Forum banner

521 - 540 of 1169 Posts

·
Registered
2008 STS
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #521
Your phone????? What the hell is with everybody needing a damn clock when everyone on the face of the earth has a phone?
Have you ever nearly wrecked while trying to dig your phone out of pocket when doing 80 in bumper to bumper traffic just to see the time?

·
Registered
2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC, 2008 Escalade ESV 1SZ Y91 Luxury Edition
1,351 Posts
Have you ever nearly wrecked while trying to dig your phone out of pocket when doing 80 in bumper to bumper traffic just to see the time?
Did you miss my post about a vent mount? My phone is closer to me than the nav screen. For anyone without, or planning to ditch your mobile phone, what about emergencies? My 88yo mother has a cell phone for emergencies only. But at least she has one. What about checking the weather while you're traveling somewhere? Can't do that on the nav. I honestly can't imagine being without my "mobile device". (I rarely ever actually make calls with it)

And if you're in bumper to bumper traffic, what the hell difference does it make what time it is? You're not getting anywhere any sooner!

·
Registered
2006 V6 STS RWD
286 Posts
So... what about us STS owners that are NEW to this thread and do NOT have a couple HOURS to sit here are read every single thread back to Dec 2018 ?

Whatever... Anyways, I changed out the alternator and battery on my 06 STS about a year ago. No clock issue.

A couple weeks ago that battery went bad and had another new one installed. Lost the clock immediately and has not returned.

So, we folks with this issue are just SOL then ?
Compared to looking for info and support and finding none, it seems a strange complaint to be pissed because you found "too much" on the subject. If there was a confirmed fix and it was just a matter of reading a single post with, "here's how ya do it" I can see someone being upset that it was buried in the thread but that's not the case here. This thread is more like a manila folder with every scrap of info known to this particular group so far. There's no requirement for anyone to read or contribute to it, nor a hidden solution, just raw data made available to all.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Compared to looking for info and support and finding none, it seems a strange complaint to be pissed because you found "too much" on the subject.....
Amen - and I commend all of you fine contributors who have given us all good information, to understand the issue at hand. (And, also those who continue to let us know when their clock start working again, and/or any added info that might lead to a work-around.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did you miss my post about a vent mount? My phone is closer to me than the nav screen. For anyone without, or planning to ditch your mobile phone, what about emergencies? My 88yo mother has a cell phone for emergencies only. But at least she has one.....I honestly can't imagine being without my "mobile device".....
Agreed! And for the time issue, a $10 stick-on clock works just fine. I also have an elderly Mom that I wont let leave without taking her phone for emergencies. Personally, I use my NAV a lot. But, except for emergencies, I try to leave my phone in my pocket, while my hands are on the wheel.

·
Registered
2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC, 2008 Escalade ESV 1SZ Y91 Luxury Edition
1,351 Posts
Agreed! And for the time issue, a $10 stick-on clock works just fine. I also have an elderly Mom that I wont let leave without taking her phone for emergencies. Personally, I use my NAV a lot. But, except for emergencies, I try to leave my phone in my pocket, while my hands are on the wheel.
I have a compact phone (5" overall length) not like the giant phones most folks have these days and I can NOT STAND having it in my pocket when I'm sitting. I sit down, phone comes out. Hell the damn thing barely fits in the pocket of my slim (NOT SKINNY) jeans. Idk how people put 6-7" phones in their pocket and sit down.

·
Registered
04 XLR, 98 DeVille, 63 Coupe De Ville
111 Posts
Some german cars face the same problem.
Same issue: car companies are not interesting to do something for cars 6+ years, so it's not a GM problem only.

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
152 Posts
If the battery is removed while the engine is running doesn't that cause the alternator regulator to call for maximum output which isn't good for anything?
For a short period of time, leaving the car running while changing the battery has never hurt one of my customer's cars. I have been doing it this way for more than 10 years. Memory savers connected to the diagnostic link under the dash DO NOT always work, ask me how I know. Most cars alternators have the battery voltage regulated by the PCM now, and it won't command maximum output like what you are asking. I think you are referencing "full fielding" the alternator, and idling a car with the battery disconnected will not do that.

I suggest, at your own risk, to change the battery in one of these cars with the engine running, if you don't want to lose the clock function. Or one could use a jump pack to connect to a battery positive point under the hood and a good metal ground for the negative attachment, then change the battery. Remember your electrical system is still alive this way, so do not short anything out or you could lose a lot more than your clock.

·
Registered
2006 V6 STS RWD
286 Posts
For a short period of time, leaving the car running while changing the battery has never hurt one of my customer's cars. I have been doing it this way for more than 10 years. Memory savers connected to the diagnostic link under the dash DO NOT always work, ask me how I know. Most cars alternators have the battery voltage regulated by the PCM now, and it won't command maximum output like what you are asking. I think you are referencing "full fielding" the alternator, and idling a car with the battery disconnected will not do that.

I suggest, at your own risk, to change the battery in one of these cars with the engine running, if you don't want to lose the clock function. Or one could use a jump pack to connect to a battery positive point under the hood and a good metal ground for the negative attachment, then change the battery. Remember your electrical system is still alive this way, so do not short anything out or you could lose a lot more than your clock.
Agreed, I always connect a booster box to the remote positive post in/at the underhood fuse box and a good out of the way ground. A heavy canvas or leather glove is perfect to slip over the positive battery cable upon removal from the battery, since it'll be live from the booster box.

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
152 Posts
Update on my clock: Went for a nice 1.5 hour drive in Indiana today, sunny, perfect 72 degree weather. Bettie Lou still has issues locating satellites, but at least my clock is working. I tried to use the GPS time, seeing if the correct date would show up, but every time I do that it resets to January 1st, 2001. If I set the time, it will start counting the days from 1-1-01, or whatever the day is from when I last updated the clock without trying the GPS sync. I have not found a way to set the date yet, I don't think that it is possible. If there were, the GPS locator would be able to sync quickly.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 3.6 2006
78 Posts
Excuse me, but I can now understand why Cadillac or Denso cannot take our problem seriously when you read the things that are written about in this thread.
Then some of it is deeply junk and does not belong in a forum like this.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,467 Posts
Excuse me, but I can now understand why Cadillac or Denso cannot take our problem seriously when you read the things that are written about in this thread.
This is an extremely large thread impacting many owners...You're going to see some off topic comments when they get this big. The fluff in here means nothing to GM, they care equally about that as they do our navigation units.

·
Registered
2001 Catera Sport,2005 SRX 3.6 AWD,2008 STS-4
36 Posts
What do you suggest we can post on this thread besides calling Cadillac or disconnecting the battery? Waiting?
Do you have a solution or a suggestion about how to fix this radio Clock/GPS problem?
What should we do (besides wait) while someone builds a new firmware for our radios or NASA reprogram the GPS satellites?(i don't think nobody will reprogram GPS satellites because a car radio clock)

So ,tell us what should we talk about besides calling GM,Waiting or disconnecting the battery?
Wait,i have an idea... take the radio firmware and modify it so it can pick up GPS satellites signal and upload a new firmware for us to flash our radios.
Or... InkedIMG_20180910_101506_LI [1024x768].jpg

As you can see in the gps i drove the car of-road into the lake...

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V6
438 Posts
I have a compact phone (5" overall length) not like the giant phones most folks have these days and I can NOT STAND having it in my pocket when I'm sitting. I sit down, phone comes out. Hell the damn thing barely fits in the pocket of my slim (NOT SKINNY) jeans. Idk how people put 6-7" phones in their pocket and sit down.
My phone is 5" and I have a case that clips to my belt. I can understand not sitting on your phone. If I go on a road trip, I take my wallet out and put it in the console. I can't stand wallet butt jack. :D

521 - 540 of 1169 Posts