Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 971 Posts

·
Registered
2007 STS AWD.NORTHSTAR V8,,1996 Chev pickup,,1969 Chevelle Malibu Convertible.
37 Posts
While I was able to get my radio working,after a fuse pull/battery reset,everything seemed to work,(RADIO,NAVI,CD,etc.)BUT THE CLOCK BUTTONS WERE NON-RESPONSIVE..One time as I was messing with clock buttons,trying to set it,THE RADIO WENT BLACK SCREEN AND NOTHING.Maybe just a coincidence,don,t know..Where ever I send this radio for repair,Specmo,York,etc,,It will be updated with latest updates and firmware,then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same hear as on 12/23/18, touch screen works just fine in all menus EXCEPT the clock. Clock display just shows "dashes". Also, when using NAV, the GPS is crossed out with a red line (as if it doesn't have signal). Yet the system is correctly tracking my location. That's the only other difference I can find after loosing clock. Did Cadillac "stop" a transmission signal?

·
Registered
2008 STS4 v8
2 Posts
Conspiracy theory #whatever. My 2008 sts has lost its clock & gps signal as well. After reading all the posts, I can only assume that Cadillac has dropped the gps signal at the 10 year mark. I really have no other explanation. I'll be on the phone with my local dealership tomorrow.... Good luck... And Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
2007 STS AWD.NORTHSTAR V8,,1996 Chev pickup,,1969 Chevelle Malibu Convertible.
37 Posts
My navi screen also showed a red line through the GPS screen,when rebooted,however the red line and GPS ICON were gone after about 3 or 4 minutes.Navi seemed to show location correctly.It seemed to take a couple minutes to get the signal,but it did go out.Still working on this chit.Busy time of year.IMO GPS as stated above by carter,s_sts, is worldwide,who knows what,s goin on.Similar to home computer getting virus, I don,t know,just a thought. After a new battery,3 MONTHS AGO,displayed as normal,(date,day,time) and 2 weeks ago nothing?

·
Registered
06 STS-V & 06 STS 4 (sold 2016)
2,696 Posts
It's not that Cadillac stopped sending a signal (there is no Cadillac specific signal) or that GPS stopped. When a GPS receiver has to start from scratch (any GPS receiver) it most likely lost what's called the almanac. That's information stored in the receiver related to where the satellites are and which ones the receiver should be looking for to decode. Those change over time because the satellites are in constant motion (not geosynchronous orbits like broadcast satellites). It can take several minutes to find the right satellites to decode. That's normal and probably happens when power is removed from the Nav. Then next time a GPS receiver can find the satellites much more quickly because it has info about where they will be at different times. That info is probably lost when power is removed.

The clock in the Nav in the STSs can get the time from GPS because it's always sent by the GPS satellites. It's UTC time and that's why you have to tell a clock which time zone you're in and if you're on daylight saving time or not. Or the clock in the STS can be set manually, but for some reason you guys can't anymore. That's what's really weird. What I said before is a total guess about a firmware bug. There's nothing that should have expired after 10 years. And I've never heard of any receiver with a time limit on receiving GPS. It's not a subscription. It's just always transmitted and paid for by all us tax payers. Mine's 12 years old and I had my battery disconnected back in May and mine's still working. But I'm not going to tempt fate right now and disconnect the battery.

69CHEV let us know if your Nav gets repaired by sending it in. Truly a strange coincidence (or not) that this many people are reporting the same thing, or similar.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,950 Posts
I have an opposite situation. I live in Alaska. There is no setting in personalization settings for AST, Alaska Standard Time, but the clock sets and always shows the correct time. I think you guys with clock trouble aren't holding your mouth right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went by my local Cadillac dealership today and they have no idea??? Said the tech they would have look at it was off for the holidays. I stood there as they "said" they were checking for any service bulletins... and found nothing, but this dealership as let me down before. I don't put very much confidence in them unfortunately

·
Registered
2009 STS V8
15 Posts
Same problem here too. For what it is worth. Maybe it is a satellite issue?

I do know that I am going to stop fiddling with it. Too many people with the same issue for it to be car specific. Probably?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Further update: I contacted Cadillac owner's service. The put me in contact with the GM NAV help center. They are not aware of the issue? But did tell me to access OnStar customer service from the car's OnStar system, and ask to be connected to the "Provisioning Dept." by the operator... and they can send a reset signal to the car??? So I tried... but car will not connect with OnStar... I go through the menu prompts and basically get what I would describe as a "failed to connect" after a series of attempt tones? BUT... I have no way of knowing if this is failure is related... as I HAVE NEVER ACCTIVATED ONSTAR in the 13 years I've owned my STS. LOL. It still seems to all point to the car is no longer "connected" or receiving a signal from the "GM Mothership". Will someone else try this OnStar method and let us know?

·
Premium Member
28,950 Posts
Further update: I contacted Cadillac owner's service. The put me in contact with the GM NAV help center. They are not aware of the issue? But did tell me to access OnStar customer service from the car's OnStar system, and ask to be connected to the "Provisioning Dept." by the operator... and they can send a reset signal to the car??? So I tried... but car will not connect with OnStar... I go through the menu prompts and basically get what I would describe as a "failed to connect" after a series of attempt tones? BUT... I have no way of knowing if this is failure is related... as I HAVE NEVER ACCTIVATED ONSTAR in the 13 years I've owned my STS. LOL. It still seems to all point to the car is no longer "connected" or receiving a signal from the "GM Mothership". Will someone else try this OnStar method and let us know?
To activate OnStar from scratch you need to call them on another line or device. I used the house line on a cordless phone.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
First off if the military, who runs the GPS network of satellites, stopped sending time information it would be all over the news and lots of things would have stopped working. And again there is no signal that comes from GM to our cars.

We have AM, FM, Weather Band, On Star (if you pay for it, that's a cellular connection), XM Radio, and two GPS receivers (one for the Nav and one for On Star). Those are all separate broadcasts or networks not specific to GM or associated with them. Our cars don't have an Internet connection like some newer cars. Yes On Star can send signals to the car via the Cellular connection, but that's for very specific things and only if you have a subscription. I doubt if "set the clock" is one of those things.

I'm not finding anything else about other cars with this issue, so it probably is very specific to this car, and I still think a firmware bug makes the most sense, but I have no way to prove it yet.

If it is that, good luck to us getting it fixed. I'd be very surprised if GM will care about our clocks enough to give us a fix. We can try, but hell, they didn't even fix the hash transmission shifts in the CT6. They just switched to a different transmission in the 2019.

One other thing I've thought about, but I think is less likely, is that there is an internal lithium battery in the Nav unit from Denso that is now going dead on everyone. But this many happening at the same time makes this unlikely.

If I'm wrong about any of this I will "man up" and admit it.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
This would be a good test for you guys that have the problem to try......... Disconnect your battery, then cover the center part of your dash with some metal (I've used a foil sun shade before). The GPS antenna for the Nav is under there. So you will make it so the Nav will not receive GPS.

Then connect power back up and see if the clock set buttons are available if the Nav has no GPS signal when it boots up.

Edit: I suspect this won't work because I'm pretty sure the Nav needs to start with the date and time gotten from GPS, then you can change it if needed.

But still might be worth a try. Either way you wouldn't have the date, since you can't set that manually.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Does someone want to try to contact Denso directly? That's the company that made the Nav/stereo.

Maybe everyone who has the problem should. Maybe they will look into it if enough complain.

It will probably take a firmware fix that they would have to put out to GM on CDs, so it won't be quick if it happens at all.

Or there's a small chance it will self correct next April.

In the meantime I don't know how the rest of us can keep from removing power indefinitely. It's a time bomb (pun intended ☺).

BTW people are reporting this from many different years of STS, so they probably all have the issue and it wasn't fixed by any of the more current firmware versions. 2011s would have had the latest already.

They say on their site they basically don't want to be contacted by consumers about OEM products, but I bet it's a little better then trying to get GM to do anything. They have a phone number and an email address on their Facebook page: https://www.denso.com/us-ca/en/about-us/company-information/diam/

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
So check this out. The last GPS week count rollover was Aug 21 1999. What if the Denso programers messed up and only used 3 digits for the week count instead of 4 (decimal digits not bits).

Receivers should go to 1024 weeks, but what if ours only go to 999. That point in time would have been around the first week of November.

But then it takes a full power cycle by removing power to the unit, so there would be a delay before the first person would see the problem.

I know I'm way into the guessing game now, but it's a possibility. If that's it something will happen in April of 2019 with the next rollover. Either it will be fixed or we'll get the wrong date displayed.

·
Premium Member
28,950 Posts
FWIW, I saw a news blurb somewhere that said the Russians have been electronically jamming our GPS system from time to time and that's why the military is installing it's own, more secure, GPS satellite system. The jamming was taking place during our military exercises.

·
Registered
2010 STS 3.6 AWD 1SB Black Cherry
390 Posts
FWIW, I saw a news blurb somewhere that said the Russians have been electronically jamming our GPS system from time to time and that's why the military is installing it's own, more secure, GPS satellite system. The jamming was taking place during our military exercises.
Your usually spot on with comments, but that is a big fail.:cookoo:
Can you see Russia from where you live too??

I have a non-nav model and have long gotten used to the personal settings re-setting themselves.
Lately, it has been the steering wheel position, I haven't changed the personal setting since I bought this 5 years ago, but now it has developed a habit of notching down a couple at start, not when I get in the car, must be thinking it has an exit setting and wants to reposition, I don't care, I just know it will quit doing it in a month or two.
Yes, I have tried the battery disconnect, and touched the cables together to drain the capacitors, but patience I find works the best.
The clock keeps up, I just leave it when daylight/regular times change, not that important, but the date has been stuck at mid-summer 2003 for as long as I owned it, yes, I have reset it but it just goes back to August 2003.

These complaints remind me of a doctor I met, I lacerated my hand, and he said beware the tree "Fs":
fat, forty, female, they think everything is wrong, yet, from a doctors view, there is nothing wrong.

21 - 40 of 971 Posts