Cadillac Owners Forum banner

361 - 380 of 1179 Posts

·
Registered
2008 STS V8
94 Posts
Fail here too. Disconnected batter for 30 mins to see if that would do anything. Nope. Fail!

For all that that failed to call GM, do it! It is the only way we are going to get a fix. Make noise. Don't waste your time with your local dealer. They can't help you, but they can take your money. Call GM and get a ticket number. If they tell you to take it to your dealer for a diagnosis, resist.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,957 Posts
I have a fifteen year old DeLorme GPS receiver that plugs into a 20 year old PALM IIIc PDA and uses maps that you copy over from a PC and it is still working perfectly. At one time GM was on the leading edge of the development of navigation systems for cruise missiles and ICBMs. AC Autonetics was unequaled. Oh how the mighty have fallen. Now they can't produce something that would work for bicycles.

·
Registered
06 STS-V & 06 STS 4 (sold 2016)
2,713 Posts
Sorry guys, I really thought something was going to happen at the GPS week rollover. They're reporting the same thing in the Corvette forum (no clock). I'm at a loss now. I'll try to research if anything else changed with GPS last October/November time frame. Whatever it is, it seems very specific to causing a problem with Denso Nav units, which still means Denso messed up somehow.

I guess there's a tiny chance something will change with GPS week 0001. Denso doesn't like week 0000? I'm reaching now.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Well I guess there are other similar issues out there, but this one is not quite as dysfunctional. It doesn't really help, but it mentions what I thought our issue was (rolling past week 999). Somewhat interesting reading:

https://blog.fosketts.net/2019/04/06/gps-time-rollover-failures-keep-happening-but-theyre-almost-done/

"I recently bought a 2008 Mercedes-Benz S-Class with just such a system. Around October 21, 2018, all models with Mercedes’ COMMAND NTG3 infotainment system decided it was actually June, 2003. And the incorrectly-converted GPS signal continues to reset the date accordingly at every opportunity. As of today, my car thinks it’s August 21, 2003.

Why 2003? It’s hard to say exactly. If the system simply “rolled off” the third decimal digit, it should be showing the date as February 5, 2000. This would be week 23 (instead of 1,023) of the current GPS Epoch. Instead, it seems to think it’s week 228. If I had to guess, I would say the Mercedes (née Daimler) Benz programmers picked another date as their Epoch and are basing the date off of that. The fact that the failure first occurred all over the world just as the Week Number passed 999 definitively shows this to be a GPS error, however."

Here's an example of a company that addressed the issue with a firmware fix. Most likely our issue could be fixed with new firmware (whatever the actual specifics of the failure are), but the damn car companies are like talking to a brick wall instead of providing real customer service.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/anyone-else-having-trouble-with-time-date-display-on-simrad-mfds-209831-2.html

·
Registered
2001 Catera Sport,2005 SRX 3.6 AWD,2008 STS-4
36 Posts
Cadillac don't seem to care about this,we seem to be doomed.
i do have the firmware CD update files,(im sure someone here also have them)if someone knows how upgrade the firmware files to make the clock work i can upload them.
This is the factory firmware and will not fix the clock issue
DO NOT UPDATE YOUR DENSO RADIO IF YOU DON'T HAVE A TECH2,YOU WILL BRICK YOUR RADIO IF YOU DON'T HAVE A TECH2
IF THE FIRMWARE IN YOUR RADIO IS THE SAME AS THE ONES IN CD's THE UPDATE WON'T START.
Now we need software engineers to tweak this firmware and make the clock work. XDA Developers HELP!!!!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L78ij0jhL7oe_JNbcBvoOJ2ojdB39r7O

·
Premium Member
28,957 Posts
My guess is that this whole Denso deal was a negotiated package between GM and Denso. Nobody at GM has any interest at this point and no way to fall back on Denso because the contract was completed years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the guy at Denso was a sore loser about WWII and inserted a code bomb for revenge. To top it all off I'll bet that the firmware is encrypted so there's no way to hack it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry guys, I really thought something was going to happen at the GPS week rollover. They're reporting the same thing in the Corvette forum (no clock). I'm at a loss now. I'll try to research if anything else changed with GPS last October/November time frame. Whatever it is, it seems very specific to causing a problem with Denso Nav units, which still means Denso messed up somehow.

I guess there's a tiny chance something will change with GPS week 0001. Denso doesn't like week 0000? I'm reaching now.
I think Carter's comment has some merit. We know that the Denso stopped working in December (not March). Programmers like to reserve space for flags (usually at the beginning and end of a stack). So the Denso stooped at approximately 1111110010 (or there about). Since the first use was around 2004 or 5, it reasonable to expect that 00000000 and possibly weeks after, may be unrecognized by the software (firmware) in the Denso. The problem is, it could be quite a while before the GPS transmittal pushes out a number that the Denso can deal with. (Sigh.....)

·
Registered
1 Posts
first post here.. seems i ran across my problem, same here, 2006 STS with Navi stereo, and no clock.guess i will call GM and complain.

·
Premium Member
28,957 Posts
Here is a snippet from instructions for testing your GPS for the epoch rollover by a GPS simulator Mfg.... However, that’s not necessarily the end of the story. Many receiver manufacturers will set the receiver to run for the full epoch from the date of their firmware. So if your receiver manufacturer has set the epoch start date in the middle of the epoch then it will run to the middle of the next epoch. Please contact the manufacturer to enquire if they have a firmware update for the 2019 rollover. If not check on the firmware date and, with our SatGen software, create a rollover scenario with a full epoch ahead and retest.Multiband receivers accepting modern GPS signals that use 13-bit week encoding (L2C, L5) do not have the 1024 week epoch issue.

So we may have a long wait.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Here's someone from the Corvette forum who is a little more confident about the week 0001 idea. I guess we can find out this coming weekend.

From here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/4223246-c6-from-2005-2010-navigation-radio-clock-stops-after-battery-disconnect-33.html

"Just registered to be able to reply in this thread.
Although I do not have a Corvette, being a SAAB-driver, we share the navigation problem.
I've done some "thinking" and looked into the binary on the DVD.
Most of the stuff there is from around the time the GPS rollover happened the last time, in 1999 (yes, a lot of stuff in the software is that old).
My guess is that someone at Denso did a boo-boo. The GPS week is stored in a 10-bit number (0-1023), but I think they just had a bit of slip and decided 999 was enough.
If the problems started to happen when the counter exceeded 999, it should have started in october 2018, and I think that is pretty accurate, we started hearing about this somewhat later, but it's not like you remove power from your car every day.
If so, then we can conclude that the problem lies with the 10-bit number being stripped of some data due to some bug in the software and week numbers above 999 will confuse the gps and so, it has no idea what week/date it is, and also, not the time.
If they made that boo-boo, I think they probably made the same mistake with the week number being too low, namely 0 (zero). If that is true, the clock should start working next sunday when it's GPS week 1 (one).
Best case: next sunday all will be fine until sometime around 2038.
Mid case: next sunday, the GPS thinks it's 1999 again and the date will be off and it will still be slow to find it's position (due to calendar being wrong with regards to satellites position) but the time will be correct.
Next worst case: It will take around 5 years until the GPS week number is around where it was when the GPS was launched and it will assume it's 2005 or thereabouts and hopefully time will be restored.
Worst case: it won't ever work, due to the bug not being able to understand the week numbering ever again."

·
Premium Member
28,957 Posts
The internet ad I found for a GPS system test set indicated that this is a common problem and the ad included a section where you could plug in some data and it would allow the simulator to test for epoch rollover performance. Somebody needs to buy a test set and tell us all how it worked.

·
Registered
2008 STS
34 Posts
Has anyone here attempted re flashing the navigation unit with a GM Mdi? If not I’m thinking of giving it a shot. I hate not having a clock and even shittier than usual gps

·
Premium Member
28,957 Posts
Mine still works just fine. FWIW. Years ago I got a new copy of the PC software that I use to copy map data to my PDA and the GPS quit working. A couple of days after complaining to De Lorme I got a patch that was supposed to be new satellite predictions and that fixed it.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3,6L V6
3 Posts
Fingers crossed, my STS still has a working clock.
But I wasn't bold enough to go into Navigation mode since sunday.

It's an european spec 2006' STS with the later firmware. (OFC1 5)

But I doubt the Europe/Canada spec STS had different head units.

361 - 380 of 1179 Posts