Cadillac Owners Forum banner

321 - 340 of 1169 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac STS
76 Posts
Everyone with this issue needs to call Cadillac US at 800-333-4223. They are aware of it and will contact the Cadillac dealer you designate and they are supposed to notify you when they have a fix. Not many if any other options to pursue.
I already have a case number, it is 9-51297XXXXX. They called me today but, I was driving to the Harley Dealer using the on board navigation. Worked perfectly but the date still says 2001. They left a voice mail.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS
76 Posts
Everyone with this issue needs to call Cadillac US at 800-333-4223. They are aware of it and will contact the Cadillac dealer you designate and they are supposed to notify you when they have a fix. Not many if any other options to pursue.
I already went to a Cadillac Dealership. They charged me $169.00+tax for someone to use the TECH2 and they wanted me to replace the head system to the tune of $3000.00. This is a for profit business and are not in the habit of doing free work on an 07.

·
Registered
2006 STS (1SG LH2 M22 JE5 FE3 F55 Q12 T43 K59 UV6 TT6 TQ5)
62 Posts
What is this “rollover” I’ve read mentioned a few times in this thread?

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,467 Posts
What is this “rollover” I’ve read mentioned a few times in this thread?
GPS epoch rollover;
The Global Positioning System provides accurate timing information to many of our critical systems – power grid, communications, financial markets, emergency services, and industrial control to name a few. It also includes the ability to transmit the proper date and time to a receiver by supplying the receiver with the current week and the current number of seconds into the week. This allows the receiver to translate the date and time into a more typical format – day, month, year, and time of day.
However, the field that contains the week number is a 10-bit binary number. This limits the range of the week number to 0 – 1023, or 1024 total weeks.
GPS week zero started January 6, 1980. The 1024 weeks counter ran out and rolled over on August 21, 1999. The week counter then reset to zero, and it has been recounting ever since. The next time the counter will reach week 1023 and rollover to zero is on April 6, 2019.

·
Registered
2009 STS & 2015 SRX
18 Posts
Thought I'd throw my vehicle into this Clock subject too. I have a 2009 STS w/80k mi. Absolutely love the car. Battery failed last Monday. Removed battery and replaced, and guess what?....NO Clock! (I know, hard hard to believe). Also, when in NAV, the indicator shows up as no GPS either, even though it tracks the vehicle perfectly.

Obviously I've read this thread and will await additional details. One question I have is relation to the "rollover". Is this "rollover" a potential automatic fix?

·
Registered
06 STS-V & 06 STS 4 (sold 2016)
2,713 Posts
GPS epoch rollover;
The Global Positioning System provides accurate timing information to many of our critical systems – power grid, communications, financial markets, emergency services, and industrial control to name a few. It also includes the ability to transmit the proper date and time to a receiver by supplying the receiver with the current week and the current number of seconds into the week. This allows the receiver to translate the date and time into a more typical format – day, month, year, and time of day.
However, the field that contains the week number is a 10-bit binary number. This limits the range of the week number to 0 – 1023, or 1024 total weeks.
GPS week zero started January 6, 1980. The 1024 weeks counter ran out and rolled over on August 21, 1999. The week counter then reset to zero, and it has been recounting ever since. The next time the counter will reach week 1023 and rollover to zero is on April 6, 2019.
Thought I'd throw my vehicle into this Clock subject too. I have a 2009 STS w/80k mi. Absolutely love the car. Battery failed last Monday. Removed battery and replaced, and guess what?....NO Clock! (I know, hard hard to believe). Also, when in NAV, the indicator shows up as no GPS either, even though it tracks the vehicle perfectly.

Obviously I've read this thread and will await additional details. One question I have is relation to the "rollover". Is this "rollover" a potential automatic fix?
The problem still is; if the rollover fixes the issue (and this depends on how they wrote the code - start time at epoch 0 or start time in 2005, or any other date) it only means the end of life (unless they update the firmware) is postponed until some day in the future.

At the most it can only go to 19 years after whatever time 0 is that the programmers decided.

By end of life I mean that the clock may work, but the date will be wrong, which causes problems with locking onto satellites.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,035 Posts
My optimistic take would be that it is probably "soft coded" to epoch 1 (I should say "defaults") since that is the most sensible given that the entire design and sale of the car existed in epoch 1. So I think this behavior is possible:
- On rollover, i.e. a 0000 week, our clocks work and would set the time correctly when that setting is selected
- The date will probably be week 0000 of that second epoch (i.e. 1999)
- We should be able to manually set the date
- A manual GPS sync should still hold the date since it now knows it was in the third epoch (i.e. the epochs are predefined in the code, which isn't too much of a stretch, since they are known for all time at least while the 10-bit week code is used)

Not sure what I would bet on this but it certainly seems possible. Yes, this is the "everything goes back to normal and no update is required" scenario...

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 3.6 2006
78 Posts
We are getting closer to the big day, where we all hope our navigation and the time comes back almost cannot wait until it will be April 06 2019 ;-)
I'm so excited if it's going to work on my Cadillac here i Denmark.:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have been following this thread, as I too have a 2008 STS with the same Denso unit. Unfortunately, I did not know about this Denso-programming debacle a few months ago, and neither did the dealership that disconnected my battery.

The GPS Week Number Rollover will actually be on Sunday the 7th (1024 weeks from 08/29/1999), and I am hopeful that even a (wrong) date/time (that can be maintained), may solve the GPS sync issue. The SAT movements are incremental, so location should be maintained, and sync up fast, as it did prior to December.
We'll see......

·
Registered
06 STS-V & 06 STS 4 (sold 2016)
2,713 Posts
If we want to get exact:

From here: https://www.xyht.com/gnsslocation-tech/wnro/

"The second scheduled GPS week number rollover (WNRO) will occur, according the rollover info on gps.gov, at 18 seconds prior to the 0000Z boundary (Coordinated Universal Time) between April 6 and 7, 2019—around midnight GMT, or Saturday afternoon of the the 6th in North America. If a GPS receiver is running firmware or software that cannot resolve that calendar ambiguity, it could have a flashback to 1999—the time of the first cycle of 1024 weeks from the 1980 zero week."

That will be at 5pm on the US west coast, so late afternoon / early evening for most of us. Don't forget, you MAY have to disconnect your battery again (or it may happen on its own).

Also the GPS satellites relative positions change very quickly: https://sciencing.com/how-fast-do-gps-satellites-travel-12213923.html

"With the Earth rotating once every 24 hours, a GPS satellite catches up to a point above the Earth approximately once a day. Relative to the center of the Earth, the satellite orbits twice in the time it takes a point on the Earth's surface to rotate once."

That's why a receiver knowing the date and time is very important for quick finding and decoding. Otherwise it just takes longer because it doesn't know the most likely ones to be overhead at a given time.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 3.6 2006
78 Posts
Something funny happened today while waiting for the day to come where everything is back to normal again, my GPS has come to itself again.
After my mechanics had disconnected the frame wire to my GPS / radio unit, the GPS card has been quite oblique.
It has shown my location but it has been 50 - 60 km wrong.
But suddenly today it was in place, my time has not yet come into place.
But there is also just over 10 hours yet until it is April 6 here in Denmark, I can hardly wait ;-)

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,051 Posts
The change is supposed to happen at midnight GMT between April 6th and April 7th.

·
Registered
2009 STS 1SG, 2013 SRX
225 Posts
April 7th, 2019 Midnight GMT = April 6th, 2019 8:00pm EDT = April 6th, 2019 7:00pm CDT

and so on.

If midnight GMT comes and goes, then we know.

321 - 340 of 1169 Posts