Cadillac Owners Forum banner

201 - 220 of 1179 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,957 Posts
I'm waiting for the announcement that the fix is removal of the NAV and sending it in through the dealer to perform a $1500 upgrade.

-------------------------------------

FWIW, I'm still getting notices from time to time from Ford to take my '95 Ford Ranger to the dealer for a recall involving the cruise control.

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
308 Posts
Well, the cold weather and a lack of driving the Platinum caused a dead battery and SURPRISE. Dashes where the time should be. I know it is a minor inconvenience, but I hate it. Hope I do not lose battery on anything else. Only good news, I got in new shocks and springs for the Platinum so the front end will no longer be low. I want back to factory all around so the Magnetic shocks work.

Hope GM finds a time solution soon or it autofixes in a few months.

ps:
Also mine is slower to acquire the GPS lockup with the satellites since the time went out. Wonder what the connection is?

·
Registered
06 STS-V & 06 STS 4 (sold 2016)
2,713 Posts
I wrote earlier that I suspect that it's because it is spending time on the first satellite trying to get the time, doesn't get it, so moves to the next one, and so on; slowing everything down.

Just a theory since I don't really know what their software is doing.

·
Premium Member
28,957 Posts
The firmware contains predicted positions vs time of GPS satellites. If the clock stops the predictions are no longer valid so the satellite acquisition process becomes more luck than management.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Good point Koz. The nav has an internal almanac that keeps track of which satellites to look for at certain times. Hard to do that with no knowledge of what time it is.

I like your theory better!

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,051 Posts
Yesterday I drove a few times for over 40 minutes each time and never got a GPS lock. I did finally get a lock on the way to work this morning after about 30 minutes. It definitely seems to be more luck than management. The dead reckoning was WAY off without the GPS lock.

·
Premium Member
28,957 Posts
I've been looking at the firmware upgrade CDs. I don't have software to examine the content other than "Notepad" but my gut feeling is that they ran out of memory space in firmware. If it was just a simple matter of massaging a file to correct the problem it would have happened long ago and a patch issued.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,206 Posts
Memory is cheap and I find it hard to believe that was the case. It only seems to be Denso. My Delphi nav works fine and it's older than these. To develop a product that was being installed in a 2011 model year car that would knowingly fail in only 8 years (assuming your theory is correct) seems very improbable. I think there's much more to this than simply running out of space for a table.

·
Premium Member
28,957 Posts
The upgrade uses two CDs. The first updates the navigation system and the second updates the audio system. Firmware is normally loaded onto a particular kind of non-volatile flash memory chip. There has to be a good reason why the file size is an odd 37,056KB. The second CD file is a more usual 512KB which is a typical chip capacity. These binary files are loaded as one big long data word. Flip or add a bit somewhere and the data is offset in the registers and everything goes bananas. This is why the last step of the process is to verify the data checksum to make sure the data has been correctly loaded. Every bit of data has its place in the matrix. If the space allocated for the GPS tables is not big enough you're screwed. If you consider the possibility that the guy that created this mess was maybe near retirement and the thing only had to work until he got out the door it all makes sense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2008 STS. The clock disappeared after I disconnected the battery. I also noticed that GPS performance was not as good as it used to be. It was taking forever to pick up a signal.

The clock is connected to GPS as it gets time info from it. It appears that GPS unit is affected by the current flow from the battery.

The security system sucks power like there is no tomorrow draining the battery. I replaced the old battery and left the car unlocked overnight. Next morning the clock was back. The only slight issue I still have with it - it is telling me that I live in January 2001. And I have not figured out the way to reset the date.

I also notice that GPS performance gets better if I leave the car unlocked overnight (even with a new battery). I took me over two month to figure out the dependency between battery drainage GPS and clock.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Only thing I have to say is WEIRD.

Do you think GPS is working normally now that you have the time back? Or is it still slow to lock because the date is wrong?

Also, since you're in 2001, could you buy some stocks for me that are much higher now?

·
Registered
2008 STS
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Original poster here. Never thought my question would generate this many posts!
It's weird to me that my original reason for disconnecting the battery was that the car was dead, simply dead with no electrical response whatsoever. I fixed this by disconnecting then reconnecting the battery. Even then the car would not start until briefly putting the starter button into acc mode. Have not had a problem since other than the damn clock.
Weird, yes wierd.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,469 Posts
Add me to the list! Left something on in the car Saturday night and came out to a totally dead battery yesterday...Recharged the battery and as expected... --:-- :banghead:

Called GM, Rep was very nice but totally clueless as expected. Advised I take the car to my nearest Cadillac dealership for inspection. Guess we'll just hope and pray for a fix, out of pocket more than likely too.

Also called Key Cadillac in Edina, MN. Their service manager had not encountered this yet on an STS or DTS. Gave him the bulletin ID and he took my info down and said they'd try to let me know if they hear of a fix from GM.

201 - 220 of 1179 Posts