Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 836 Posts

·
Registered
2008 STS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clock adjust screen will come up after touching and holding for a couple seconds the clock area on the screen but none of the adjusting "buttons" are functional.

This is happening after an issue last evening where the car would not start until after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

Even then I had to put the keyless start switch in accessory mode first and then was able to start the car.

Any ideas on the clock adjust issue as well as what may have caused the "no start" issue. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,703 Posts
Sounds like a flood car. When and where did you acquire the car.

·
Registered
2007 STS AWD.NORTHSTAR V8,,1996 Chev pickup,,1969 Chevelle Malibu Convertible.
37 Posts
Hello again..I,m having the same problem,with clock touchpad,non-responsive,as stated in my post yesterday.When I go to config,and when you,try just the clock button,it beeps only once,and the buttons are non-responsive?Car is running,starting,great otherwise..No non start issues..I may battery and fuse disconnect tommorrow,for an extended period,to drain all capacitors etc..and see what happens..Everything on the touch screen appears to work,BUT THE CLOCK?

·
Registered
2008 STS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will be waiting to hear if that does the trick. Sorry I missed your post yesterday.

·
Registered
2008 STS V8
94 Posts
Ya'll think you got problems? Mine is able to be set, BUT it does not hold the time. I'm on the PST zone and the damn time keeps going back to EST. So I stop selecting PST and the time, thinking leave it be on EST and just set the time back 3 hours.....nope, motherfcker jumps ahead 3 hours next time I jump in the car and start it. No wonder these cars do NOT hold their resale value. The electronics suck donkey balls!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello ..npalen..Well I disconnected battery to-day,,doing negative first,then positive,,then positive,and negative last for reconnect..Left it for almost 2 hours,and the screen came to life..Tried cd,works,navi disc,works,fm radio works,,BUT STILL NO ACTION FROM CLOCK TOUCHPADS.My problem was that the screen was black and wouldn,t come on..That being said,I,ve pulled the 2 rear fuses and it booted up,still with no clock. went out a couple hours later and back to black screen again,,that,s why I tried the battery trick to-day..I will check it in a few hours to see if it still functions,or is gone again..

·
Registered
37 Posts
hello again npalen..Well it looks like,that battery reset,didn,t work either?After 2 hrs,the screen worked,but after an additional 2hrs,black screen again?But all my dark sense lights are on,,,,ON THE UNIT. Don,t really know the unit can only hold a charge,,whatever for a couple of hours,then lose it? I thought that a battery reset,would also reset the cars main chip,along with the radio,,back to default,which would include hi/low speed data busses etc,and fix the problem? IN MY CASE,IT DID,BUT ONLY FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS?Then black screen again..I,M starting to think that a capacitor or something in the unit is failing..As far as your situation,with clock and non-start,,I can,t see where a battery disconnect would hurt..(same as replacing with new battery).A lot of times this corrects numerous issues,back to default.You might have to reset auto windows and mph/degreesF//kph/degrees celsius,depending on where you are. Re- Boots work wonders for computer controlled chit..but apparently,for only 2 hrs?I,m sorry I can,t give you a more definate answer..JUST BETWEEN YOU AND ME,,MY CLOCK AND RADIO STILL WORK GREAT IN MY 1969 CHEVELLE CONVERTIBLE,(2 weeks shy of 50 years old.) LOL. GO FIGURE.

·
Registered
2008 STS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for you feedback, 69CHEVLRAG. I think the automakers have this planned obsolescence down pat! Somebody should design an aftermarket kit that replaces the entire computer/electrical system but just operates the essentials to get the vehicle down the road. Oh wait can we have cruise control and power everything? :)
The "no start" issue occurred only once and now its just no clock reset. I can live with that. Just hope its not a sign of bigger issues henceforth.

·
Registered
2008 STS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thinking back to the fifties and sixties, the clock was usually the first thing to quit working on any vehicle. Maybe this is just a case of deja vu all over again. :)

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac STS V6 AWD
1 Posts
Did you get this resolved? I am experiencing the same thing after having some work performed on my car (right rear wheel bearing hub replaced); i think they may have disconnected the battery since they had to replace the wheel hub harness as well.

Thanks.
Nick

·
Registered
2008 STS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you get this resolved? I am experiencing the same thing after having some work performed on my car (right rear wheel bearing hub replaced); i think they may have disconnected the battery since they had to replace the wheel hub harness as well.

Thanks.
Nick
Hello Nick. The clock is still not working. It quit working after I had disconnected the battery to solve the "no start issue".
Perhaps the shop that worked on yours would have an idea how to "reset" the clock? I would be curious to know.

·
Registered
2008 SRX 3.6 V6 SPORT LUXURY EX 2005 STS 4.6 V8 SPORT LUXURY EU VERSION
191 Posts
Hi guys ,this appear like the " a christmas mystery clock" . I've the same problem from a few days , after battery disconnecting and reconnecting , all work fine , but clock not show time and settings buttons not are responsive. Very strange . This strange and mysterius problem . I've disconnecting battery for 21 hours and after reconnecting clock not work. I think that is necessary disconnecting battery for 2 days because after 21 hours memory settings not was erased. When i've more time to spent , i disconnecting batteri for 2/3 days and pray for my clock

Merry, merry, merry, and mysterious christmas

·
Registered
06 STS-V & 06 STS 4 (sold 2016)
2,691 Posts
This is really getting weird with all these reports. There is someone over in the STS-V forum reporting the same thing after disconnecting the battery. I'm worried that there is some kind of firmware bug that has only kicked in after a certain date. It would have to be something crazy like it takes a full reboot of the Nav unit and then it receives GPS and that somehow disables the clock because of the date decoded from GPS?? All total speculation, but what the heck? I've been on this forum for a pretty long time and I don't remember this being an issue.

I drove my STS-V today and checked the clock and it's fine, and the buttons to set the clock work, as well as the use GPS button (which is how my time gets set). I'm a little temped to disconnect power and see what happens, but I don't want to cause the problem. I think this is very strange.

·
Registered
2008 STS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's beginning to sound like the older Iphones only in this case programmed to develop glitches after the vehicle reaches a certain age. :)

·
Registered
2008 SRX 3.6 V6 SPORT LUXURY EX 2005 STS 4.6 V8 SPORT LUXURY EU VERSION
191 Posts
Unfortunatly i can't say if my gps work fine because my laser optical dont'work from 2 years . Need to replacment . There are anyone with this issue with gps in good work condition ?

1 - 20 of 836 Posts