Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
09 CTS V
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to complain to my fellow V owners. Stopped by the gas station last night to fill up and was literally the only car in the parking lot. So I got out as usual and opened my own tank and took the cap off and hung out properly (I live in OR so cant pump on gas), so I take the precautiion to everything but pumping myself. I told the gas attendant who was in his 50s probably to fill it up with Premium. He said sure thing, swiped my card and said once again fill it up with premium sir? I said yes, thanks. I usually will hang around since it takes like 1 minutes to fill up our little tanks, then I replace the cap and close door my self. I had my 3 year old in the back seat though so I went back around and sat inside the car to keep him company while watching the pump so I could jump back out and take care of closing up myself.The pump had reached 15 gallons and the guy walks around and says he accidentaly put regular in and what should he do. I told him to stop the pump ASAP. he apologized over and over again. I asked to speak with his manager and of course no manager working. I wasnt sure what it was going to do my car so I did some quick googleing on my phone and the best I could find was to add some Octane boost. Half the stuff I read said it would help the other half said dont waster your time. The gas station was at a truck stop so I told them to comp me on the Octane boost and my gas. He said he could do the octane boost but couldnt the gas because it was already paid for by credit card. I added the octane boost myself and will be limping my car around until its empty. The station has lost a good customer now. So from now on will be watching like a hawk with fuel that start with even if you get a verbal confirmation.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V CRM Coupe (Airaid Intake & Corsa), 2011 Z06/Z07
285 Posts
Not a "real" big deal - the manual says in fact, regular can be used, but not to perform any aggressive driving while using regular - just fill with premium when possible. You'll be fine! :)

·
Registered
2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"
1,290 Posts
Yeah what he said. Just try to stay out of the boost is all, throw in some octane booster and refill the tank with premium when you get down to about half a tank. This is why mandatory pump service is the devil though.

·
Registered
CTS-V
293 Posts
Most octane boosters don't work, or do very little, but TORCO WORKS! A full can of TORCO will raise your full tank of gas about 7 numbers. I got a full tank of 87 octane once, the Torco brought it to 94. You should be able to get it at most auto parts stores, or a performance shop.

·
Registered
2015 Mercedes CLS63 AMG S
890 Posts
You can't fill your own tank up there?

Here in Canada, we had a few issues with people running off with gas, but for the most part that just meant limited the furthest pumps away to pre-pay... I think in BC a few places you have to pre-pay at all pumps...

Why won't they let you fill your own tank even with pre-paying?

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)
1,959 Posts
You can also try NOS Octane Booster, treats the same amount of gallons as Torco, at half the size, with 6 full octane numbers, and for half the price.

·
Registered
708 Posts
In NJ you can't pump your own gas either. Maybe they think we are too stupid to do it ourselves?? I dunno. In NY you have to pre pay at all pumps.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
You people in the "Nanny" states brought this crap on yourselves. Now why don't you run along like nice little boys and girls and get it fixed.

·
Registered
708 Posts
First of all I didn't vote for these schmucks. Second, I was not complaining. I was just talking about it. I don't care if I have to pre pay.

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V Wagon white A-6
108 Posts
I'd top it off with premium at about half a tank. The mix will give you a higher octane, perhaps high enough that your computer will start readjusting to it if it started pulling timing out. Around here the highest octane you can buy is 93 and car only requires 91.

----------

PS. What qualifications do you have to have to pump gas? Is it a technical thing or is it asset control?

·
Registered
None
525 Posts
I'd top it off with premium at about half a tank. The mix will give you a higher octane, perhaps high enough that your computer will start readjusting to it if it started pulling timing out. Around here the highest octane you can buy is 93 and car only requires 91.
Two options:

Drive around gently until the tank is almost empty, then refill with premium

Siphon it back out

I think option 1 is better. The car will be OK as long as you keep it under light load. Try to avoid steep hills.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (Blue Diamond Manual/Recaros/Nav/Suede/Polished)
297 Posts
From the owner's manual:

If the vehicle has the 6.2L supercharged V8 engine
(VIN Code P), use premium unleaded gasoline with
a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. For best
performance, use premium unleaded gasoline with a
posted octane rating of 93. In an emergency, you can use
regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 or
higher. If 87 octane fuel is used, do not perform any
aggressive driving maneuvers such as wide open throttle
applications. You might also hear audible spark knock
during acceleration. Refill the tank with premium fuel as
soon as possible to avoid damaging the engine. If you are
using gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher and you hear
heavy knocking, the engine needs service.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,840 Posts
Save your money on the booster. You'll be lucky to gain a few tenths of an octane point, tops. Just drive it all up. You'll be ok.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)
1,959 Posts
You people in the "Nanny" states brought this crap on yourselves. Now why don't you run along like nice little boys and girls and get it fixed.
Better than filling up yourself, in the winter, below freezing. I waited until today to fill up since it's so nice and mild out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts